Happy Days
Years ago

Big V CEO resigns

http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews[year]=2013&tx_ttnews[month]=08&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3594&cHash=471f3043690a69344a40a17131b629b8

Hendrix gone,Whitten gone...who will be next.The 5pm Friday special!!!

Topic #32364 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

Going to Knox as CEO.

Reply #431654 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Justin Nelson and Callum Chambers part of the deal?

Reply #431671 | Report this post

Happy  
Years ago

Great news for Knox

Reply #431693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dejavu at Knox.Funny how one group get ousted to come back a few years later to oust that group back.karma,some may say

Reply #431694 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Lets hope for basketballs sake they get back on track.

Reply #431713 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So Knox have two CEO's now? Nelson and Whitten?

Reply #431726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might need two to dig them out of the hole they are apparently in

Reply #431730 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I'll say one thing about Knox, they have one hell of a nice stadium out there and if I lived near it i would be more than happy to be part of a revival...

Reply #431763 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

After some 30 years at kbi I'm saddened to say I will be handing back my membership. I'm all for democracy and freedom of speech. The new board have been duly elected.
I cannot fathom the appointment of the new CEO. Her prior history at knox, relationship with the former CEO and now advisor to the board only adds to the mud racking thst is being thrown at some of the new board members.

I have placed some faith in you Eric and ian hoping you would bring to the table new blood and a fresh approach. It seems from where I sit you have fallen into the trap of listening to board members and De facto board members in appointing someone who too close to the people you confide in.

I cannot help wondering how extensive your search for a competent CEO was?

Nevertheless, given both you gentlemen were elected on the promise of good goverance you willnow request the resignation of Mr Sewell from the board. And you will no longer allow Messrs Joyce and Fenton to have involvement in any advisory capacity due to the clear and concise conflicts of interest they have with family and close friendships with Kbi staff.

The kbi members are now watching both of you to see if you really stand for what principles you were elected upon.

Reply #431766 | Report this post

Happy  
Years ago

Again, great news for Knox. Life member you have double standards, look at previous appointments (employment/board/volunteers including coaches) did you whinge then?

Reply #431782 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Life member is on the money.

Happy I don't know whom you are referring to? I'm not even sure if you realise what it is you are saying?

The point I see life member making is the new board have come in professing not to be like the old board. However your comment appear to acknowledge the new board is operating with:
1. Same double standards.
2. Conflicts of interest are no longer important.
3. The new board has no responsibility to its members in terms of transparency.
4. Nepotism and mates appointments continue to be valid processes because that's what the old board did.

Are you a supporter of the new board and how it is operating. If so, by default you are saying the old board was ok too.

Come on Happy - you are making some foolish comments in accusing Life Member of double stanards.

What's the old saying? Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot rather than opening it and confirming you are one.

Reply #431798 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So was the position at Knox advertised?

There might be justification for not advertising if the Board had a candidate in the wings who could deliver quickly on the political and financial outcomes they need as an association.

Has this been officially announced or is it speculation -hence my earlier post about 2 CEO's :-).

Reply #431802 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Hasn't been advertised. You would of thought they would go out to market as there are very good sporting CEO's at the right price. We recently advertised and received 60 applicants of which 20 would have the capability to do the job.

Reply #431807 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

Whoops Happy. Foot in mouth disease!

Reply #431811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good riddance to her! She was a disgraceful CEO. Hidden agendas and nothing really good came during her watch!

One thing you can expect, Knox in Big V next season, with discounted fees etc for first 5 years!

Reply #431855 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Wow...if this has happened smacks of insider deal!

Due to the size of the business you'd almost think putting in a CEO from a business backgrtound would be better.....a large number of the CEO's at professional sporting clubs come originally from strong business backgrounds...rather than sports admin backgrouns.

Pretty sure the thought process is the CEO isn't there to run the bball admin but to run the business and then ensure good bball admin are underneath them to sort the bball admin.

Reply #431856 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

Totally agree Tiger. This appointment is so wrong on many levels. Chairman and Vice Chairman are getting snowed by vindictive and disaffected people who are hell bent on retribution.

I m told BV is glad to see her move on.

The role of CEO is far greater than the skill sets she brings to the table IMO.

This appointment is so damaging to the KBI brand. And the people running the place, including the advisors in the background, have completely destroyed what credibility they had.

Knox members - can't you see what you've done?

Reply #431862 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ring around the Big V clubs and see what the delegates think of the Big V CEO. They are supportive of her and are sad to see her go. She also comes from a finance background so maybe TW get your facts right.
And again TW probably not the best person to be lecturing on deals no?

Reply #431863 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Oh my goodness. Please tell me none of this is true. My once great club is on its knees and the board has appointed a bookkeeper to right the ship.

This decision tells you so much about what people have been saying about the professionalism and ethics of the board.

A very sad situation and as a former post says - knox members. What have you done! !!

Reply #431864 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon not sure what you mean lecturing on deals...just observing mentioning that due process based on the professiopnal codes is strong business background and go thru the public advertising process.

Good luck to knox if they have made this appointment but due process would have been an outside/non bball person might have been in a better position to sort out the mess with any connections to current admin.

Reply #431865 | Report this post

big v delegate  
Years ago

@anon.

I would suggest you don't ring around the big v clubs. You may not like the answers you get.

Of course clubs are going to be nice to the competition managers. To not be is political suicide.

As a club delegate of more years I care to remember, I can honestly say a large number of people are hoping BV will come in and shake up the league.

Can't and won't comment on Knox situation, but I know my club for one is feeling optimistic about positive change in big v next year.

Reply #431869 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Yay - let's all join in the hating. What gutless wonders you all are. Given you're happy to bag other people why don't you put your names to what your saying. long time big v delegate - she's gone now why don't you show your courage and say who you are - name your club, didn't get what you wanted I reckon.

life member - same to you if you are a life member at least have the guts to name yourself. Otherwise your besmirching every other life member at knox.

easy to see why good people leave the sport.

Reply #431876 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ANON why don't you start...!

Reply #431878 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Why

life member is a ped, big v delegate a tea leaf and tiger watcher a moron.

Much easier to say these anonymously :)

Reply #431884 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well I'm one of those big v delegates and as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't speak highly enough of the service and professionalism of Raelene and her staff. Very sad to see her go as the league has improved dramatically during her tenure.

Reply #431887 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

And you wonder why its hard to get good administrators in basketball. Name one basketball administrator who has used basketball as a steeping stone in his corporate career?

Reply #431889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why is everyone assuming this is true ? I have seen NO EVIDENCE that RW is going to Knox. #bandwagonmorons

Reply #431892 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Malcolm Speed, Bill Palmer, Brendan Mclements ...

Reply #431893 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And from Grassroots, the guy that used to run Dandenong Basketball (Steve someone)...

But it is a silly question Happy Days - you could ask it of any sport. I know you work in another sport but you seem to single out basketball as being the major culprit in many of these types of things.

Not sure you can name a whole bundle of administrators from other sports who have gone on to a "corporate career" elsewhere, particularly from grassroots admin.

Reply #431895 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon #431887

I concur, on balance the league is better for when RW started than now she is leaving. She has, from a very far distance, done a solid job.

However, it was coming off possibly its lowest ebb, having been ripped apart by the SEABL defections and its previous administrator struggling with the role.

Reply #431897 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Malcolm Speed mid 90's Bill Palmer late 80's Brendan McClements nothing on his bio about basketball. Bill Palmer did a great job but that was 25 years ago. There was the guy from Nike...he was a bust.

Reply #431907 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ANON...thanks for your input...public forum but pretty sure i haven't had a crack at anyone personlly just stated the "business side" to any potentional candidate.

Reply #431909 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

What's a ped? I am hoping it is something nice.

Reply #431930 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

HO, I love the game of basketball but if we could just out act together off the court we could really go places. The AFL is fully aware of sports such as basketball and soccer and thats why they are pouring more and more resources into it to retain and grow there grass roots participation.

Reply #431934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delegates have to put up with her. She is vindictive and holds grudges. Happy to see the back of her.

I hear Justin Nelson might be the new CEO of Big V or is it just a coincidence that he has left his role 1 week before Raelene?

Reply #431940 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Justin Nelson new CEO of Big V???Surely not........

Reply #431944 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Justin is taking up a role at BA.

Reply #431945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dj you have no clue. You ask the members what they have done? I suspect you are one of the bitter twisted knox members who refuse to acknowledge the damage that has been done by the previous board and management- maybe you are even one of these people or at the least a so called "loyal" friend? Get your head out of the sand and see things for what they are. . If it wasn't for the members demanding answers and then change where the hell do you think we'd be now? Are you incapable of understanding the financial nightmare we are in and who is responsible for it or are you to busy slagging off those that are actually trying to do something positive and help get us out of this f**** mess. If you really give a crap put your hand up to help. Then again don't bother with your obvious inability to process facts you would just be a liability.

Reply #431950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote:
"Are you incapable of understanding the financial nightmare we are in and who is responsible for it or are you to busy slagging off those that are actually trying to do something positive and help get us out of this f**** mess. If you really give a crap put your hand up to help. Then again don't bother with your obvious inability to process facts you would just be a liability."

Applies equally to Knox members & ALP voters ;-)

Reply #431951 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

Ok anonymous. You have my attention and my head is now out of the sand.

Now take a deep breath and bite hard on your dummy. There you go feel better now.

Oh and by the way perhaps if you control your emotions and carefully read my post you'll see you are making a goose of yourself.

I have not mentioned the damage done by the previous board. All I am saying is the new board are no better than the previous board.

I feel for the new CEO. Her appointment smells to high heaven of nepotism just as the old board was accused of doing. She does not have the skills to do the job. And when she falls over with stress the board will carry the accountability.

I can't believe this is happening. The jungle bells in domestic land are ringing.

You and your SEE mates may have the power now but you have lost the trust of the masses over this WRONG APPOINTMENT.

Now if it's okay with you im going to firmly stick my head in the sand so I don't get verbally abused by you again.

Can I suggest you remove your head from that deep dark place you keep it - might help improve your shitty moods.

Reply #431960 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

To all the Passionate Knox people on here, will the Raiders be playing SEABL or Big V next year?

Reply #431961 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Excellent question. If the new CEO is the former head of Big V then they would seem to have the inside running which added to the lower cost might make this option irresistible which would be sad to see.

Reply #431963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is the new knox basketball operations manager going to be?

Reply #431964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball ops will come from interstate "Keep it in the family" and will make everyone really shake their head ..One big happy Family

Reply #431975 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Happy Days, you asked the question. I answered it. Brendan Mc was the Head of Communications for NBL under Bill Palmer - went to ICC and now Vic Major Events. You asked who had left basketball admin to make a go of things corporately - there has to be some time to do that. Palmer was sacked by NBL and went on to do a great job by all reports in Sydney.

Steve (Dix?) was CEO of Dandenong in the middle of last decade and as far as I know now has a senior career now in health management. The nike guy was Burton yes? He went the other way btw, from nike to us?

But your question is still silly. Many of our administrators are poorly paid, low skilled staff who have little or no desire to go elsewhere.

Seriously. Sport is full of guys (with few exceptions) who have come in to the game at the senior level with corporate, not sport background - gallop, Smith etc.

Reply #431980 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You hit the nail on the head:
Many of our administrators are poorly paid, low skilled staff who have little or no desire to go elsewhere.

Reply #431981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@dj- nothing but sunshine and sweet music in domestic land,pity you cant bring yourself to share in the joy. Here's a tip for you- I don't look good in green, nice try anyway.

Reply #431995 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

Oh Wayne you fool.

Reply #431996 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Doubt that interstate person you suggested above would be considered for the DOC job. The last board got rid of him for questionable moral character issues so IF you believe them you wouldn't go near him.
This thread gets funnier by the hour.

Reply #431998 | Report this post

be proud  
Years ago

I'm really annoyed about last comment. Nobody got rid of this young man. He left to pursue his dream and develop himself. He is kicking goals and BNSW rate him highly.

He is Knox through and through. He understands the club and it's lost culture.

I know he will get his hands dirty unlike previous 3 BOM's.

If we can entice him away from Gosford then let's move heaven and earth.

As a disenchanted long term coach, I think his enthusuasm is just what we all need at the moment.

My only concern is will the KJR Chairperson let him do his job without interference.

Reply #432002 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Oh my goodness theres nothing like a scorned parent!!!

Reply #432003 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

Knox website. Raelene Joyce CEO.

New Board are hypocrites.

Reply #432039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

REVENGE is sweet !!!!!!

Reply #432041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. This has really gotten out of control.

What gives anyone the right to come on here and personally attack someone. Especially one who has made such a positive contribution to the sport that we are all here for.

I won't name our club at risk of this being twisted into a suck-up. However in my past 2 years as a club delegate, I have been extremely happy with the work of Raelene and her team. Our club has had our disagreements with Big V like everyone, however we've always come to a compromise and accepted that sometimes the league has to act in the interest of everyone and the future of the league, they don't just work everything to suit your own club.

I wish the best of luck to Raelene in the future. If it happens to be the Knox job (which seemed to just be speculated by the second poster and everyone else ran with it?) or anything else, then please don't let the negativity of the keyboard warriors on here change how you go about it.

Reply #432042 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree with the above post. Knox are lucky to be getting Raelene. Appalling to see a so called life member being so destructive. Hand your membership in sooner rather than later they dont need your type.

Reply #432051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's official

http://www.knoxbasketball.com.au/index.php?id=9&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2013&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=08&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=271&cHash=23ebbef88f279c381becd0856a695297

Reply #432054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say a LIFE MEMBER has probably given more to Knox than most, and most likely as purely a volunteer. I think they would have a right to have their opinion expressed!

Reply #432058 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The comments that have been made by some here are about individuals are completely inappropriate.

Unfortunately that vitriol has masked some other excellent commentary about good process and governance.

If the position was not advertised, and if the new CEO is in fact related to an advisor to the board, and if the new board put its hand up for transparency, then the appointment exhibits really poor governance.

I said earlier that there might be justifiable reasons why the Board would make an appointment without advertising, but on the balance of information provided here and in other threads, it seems more appropriate, given the crisis Knox finds itself in, that the position and process be as open as possible.

Reply #432062 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I concur with HO's comments.Conflict of interest, good goverance etc etc.....

Reply #432063 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree that life members have a right to express their opinion. If youre concerns are fair dinkum and youre not just shit stirring raise them with the appropriate people.Be constructive not destructive. Pity you wont put your name to it life member instead you choose to tarnish the reputation of a group of people held in high regard. Guess we'll know who you are when you hand your membership back.Good luck retrieving your respect.

Reply #432068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he/she out themselves? They've probably seen the treatment people who don't blindly follow the leadership gets...

Reply #432069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RW didn't do any damage at all to Big V in her time there, didn't make any earth shattering changes either but then again its a league run by a minority of strong arm delegates and an old man in a caravan.
It will never be anymore than it is so don't try to make it something it isn't and is incapable of becoming.

Reply #432142 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

W@hos the old man in the caravan?

Reply #432147 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I want to know as well Happy Days, but its a great line whoever it is "an old man in a caravan...." - you could write a song around that!

Reply #432148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok..I want to know to.3 confirmed Basketball ops applicants RB,GL,DF,probably lots of others as well

Reply #432153 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Always wondered why there was a caravan out the back of SBC? Had my thoughts but maybe I was wrong lol

Reply #432155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DF for the win!

Reply #432159 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

HO has articulated things beautifully.

So let's see the board come clean and explain the CEO selection process. Transparency and governance are your mantra - prove it!!

Eric you have a duty of care to conduct board due diligence. As life members and indeed domestic club members we have a right to know you are selecting people for key positions based on best qualified person for the job.

Many people like me are suspicious of the process, if indeed there was one. I'm aware some clubs (I know of three) have spoken informally about moving assocstions.

There are huge potential problems on the horizon if you continue to operate the way you are.

Raising door fees, sacking KJR committee, in fighting amongst amongst seabl coaches and players, resignation of three members of new board, resignation of three Kbi staff, bullying by some board members of kbi staff, kjr coach resignations, kjr coaches terminated without cause.

Eric I know you are aware of this stuff. It's time to put a peg in the ground and stop this situation becoming worse.

Come out and demonstrate the CEO recruitment process was above board and show to us you are not a puppet to the agenda driven people who sit at the table with you.

Reply #432162 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I never saw any advert for the position at Knox. I have been told that the CEO's role for Big V will be advertised.

Reply #432165 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Isn't it past your bedtime John?

Reply #432166 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

No Laurie.

Reply #432168 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So Eric is now answerable to a rogue internet forum. Life Member (if indeed you are a life member), instead of being a keyboard warrior that why don't you show some class, take your concerns to Eric through the correct channels, sit down with him and ask him the questions yourself?
If you are a life member, the Chairperson would surely sit down with you and go through your concerns? Probably more professional than the complete idiot you are making of yourself by continuing to damage the association you claim to care so much about.
Considering you were handing your life membership back a couple of days ago I wonder whether the board has received that membership handed back to them? Well have they?

Reply #432171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am fascinated ,with the first mention of SEABL coach and player fighting.Would like to hear the explanation to this new chapter to the story

Reply #432173 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

Good one anon. Deflection is your strength. If you want to shut life member down, then I would recommend Eric take up his or her points.

What you are deflecting around is the recruitment process for the new CEO.

Answer that then the doubters will drop away.

Reply #432174 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

Good one anon. Deflection is your strength. If you want to shut life member down, then I would recommend Eric take up his or her points.

What you are deflecting around is the recruitment process for the new CEO.

Answer that then the doubters will drop away.

Reply #432175 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

dj and life member

did you stutter???

I wonder if the same person is arguing to make it look like someone actually agree's with them?

Reply #432176 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

Cut ans paste so right dj. Love your support.

Reply #432177 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

I'm old. Give me a break. Pudhed go button before I'd finished. Senior's moment is valid excuse. Lol.

Reply #432178 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

no mate,

chances are they are from the same ip address

Reply #432179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

life member (which i doubt) you are a serious twit and have proven it by your comment about raising door fees. you have no idea whatsoever, nothing but a trouble maker. have you not listened to anything the members have been told about our financial position (you know the one your mates left us in) if you have then you know those door increases had to happen therefore raising it as a criticism against the board is ridiculous. if you havent been listening then you arent in a position to pass judgement on anything or anyone. the more you speak the more foolish you look.

Reply #432180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say your on the money triton!

Reply #432181 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Triton let's not get sucked in to ther banter of LM.

I look back over the posts and note one common theme.

Transparency and governance.

As long as our new board and CEO can demonstrate that then any other issues of management drop away.

So rather than waust time pointing the finger at who's making what comments, let's get on with the job of rebuilding our club.

If we all refrain from further comment then life member and others will have nothing to feed off.

Reply #432187 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Agree with last post.

Reply #432188 | Report this post

yobbo  
Years ago

Nah let's hunt the bastards down and put them on trial for treason. How dare they question the integrity of the board.

Julian Assange has a lot to answer for.

Reply #432189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A board is put in place to make decisions for the body its governing so its perfectly correct that they hire a CEO without speaking to anyone about it. If the members dont like it then sack the board and start again. If they chose not to go to market for a CEO then thats thier right. Normal members dont get a say in the process at all. If you dont like what the KNox board are doing then simply leave and join another association.

Reply #432191 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

Correct anonymous and that is why I raise my concerns. We face the potential of three clubs leaving.

You may not like what I say but every thing I say is based on facts.

Attack me as much as you like. You will not silence me. This is my club as much as yours. I have put in my time to Knox basketball and I'm not going to cop the rubbish that's happening at the moment.

I will shut up and go away when I'm satisfied the people in charge are acting in the best interests of Knox.

Reply #432193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of rubbish, three clubs leaving. Lets be serious if clubs were going to walk over the actions of the board and lack of transparency we would have lost the majority clubs under the watch of the previous board. Where were you then life member, dont recall you shouting from the rooftops. Exactly.

Reply #432195 | Report this post

club delegate  
Years ago

Life member we love your passion but question your style.

I think you will shortly find the domestic clubs start to ask questions of the board.

This is the only way to address all the concerns you raise.

Rest assured your comments don't go unnoticed and will be raised at the appropriate time.

Reply #432196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Good one anon. Deflection is your strength. If you want to shut life member down, then I would recommend Eric take up his or her points"

Well said. It seems that instead of simply answering a question about good governance, some have resorted to name-calling and defensive deflections. No wonder life member wanted to remain anonymous!

Reply #432202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Life Member: Bitch all you like but the correct process was followed and obviously the majority of the board supported the hire. If you dont like it then stand for a board position yourself.

Reply #432205 | Report this post

life member  
Years ago

Thank you club delegate. I know I'm old and silly and people don't take me seriously.

I don't know how to get my point across sometimes, but I take on board your views and just pray the clubs can get through to the board the responibities they have taken on and will be judged by.

No more comments from me. I trust you and your ckub colleagues. I wish you good luck and success.

Reply #432206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone think the kids playing on a Saturday morning give 2 hoots or notice who's sitting in the office at the front of the stadium?? Does any of this really effect the shape of the ball or court?

Seriously some of you carry on like its electing a Prime Minister.
99% of the kids dont care about any of this as it has no impact on them.

Reply #432210 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Of course the kids don't care. What a ridiculous statement.

But the parents and committees do!

We want our kids and future generations to be able to play at knox.

What you are saying it doesn't matter who's running the show. Perhaps you were part of the selection panel??

Reply #432214 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Various Anons.

Appreciate you are backing your board but as you will have seen from my post above I think there are compelling reasons why this position should have been open to the market.

Those who say it is the right of the Board to hire and fire are 100% correct.

However, in times of trouble/crisis, the need for open process is exemplified - closed door stuff looks even worse. In the earlier thread on Knox someone posted a very long, very transparent email from the President explaining problems and justifying fee increases. That was an open process.

The questions, legitimately to be asked, about the current appointment, I have posed earlier. Please note I am not questioning the appointment - I have no view on that and people bagging the individual here are scurrilous. Play the ball, not the man....

However, if the criticisms about "jobs for the boys" were relevant of the previous board then the current board need to set themselves well above this type of criticism. The fact is that the new CEO is the partner of a former CEO, who allegedly has been advising the new board, and who is also a board member of the BigV, where the new CEO has come from. That set of circumstances just opens the process to speculation, which would have been largely avoided had it been open. The Board it appears has managed this all in-house. To avoid this scrutiny they could have, for example, used other, independent parties, to help with the selection process.

The question that must be asked is this. Has the process of recruiting the CEO given Knox the best possible chance of recruiting an individual who can lead the organisation out of its current crisis and into the future?

We do not know the facts. Perhaps there is a far more limited budget for the new CEO and this person fits that budget. Perhaps the new CEO's has hard nosed financial skills and can sharpen the business approach to such a degree that Knox can trade well going forward.

I wish the new CEO well. It appears they have a fight on their hands, both with the management of the politics of the organisation, and the ongoing financial issues of Knox.

Reply #432221 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HO I think you have nailed it.

Silence speaks volumes. No one is challenging you.

Reply #432443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still no word on bball ops mgr?

who decides on this position.. the board or new ceo?

Reply #432448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hopefully they hire someone from outside the program, even better if its someone from interstate.

Reply #432488 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I applied for the job and had a conversation with the former VP.

This was 3 weeks ago and still havent heard anything. They did mention that they would wait until the new CEO came on board which makes sense??

Still couldn't tell me much about the job or even if it was full time or part time. Wouldn't give me a remuneration amount.

Its amazing what you can find out when you put your hand and talk.

Reply #432494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds like u found out nothing. ..

Reply #432496 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Haha Anonymous - I didn't reveal everything in the conversation.

To clarify - The board had not yet determined what the BOM role should be and what it would look like.

They still couldn't give me a figure for remuneration and there seemed to be not a lot of consensus of the role within the new board.

So not surprising one week later VP resigns.

I will assume the new CEO will have her thoughts and be the driver behind the role and what it will look like.

Reply #432505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

appreciate the clarification
will be interesting
u would think a decision. needs to be made soon as rep trials begin soon

Reply #432523 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Makes sense for the new CEO to have input into the makeup of the role.
The VP has not resigned. Unlike most people here I just asked him.

Reply #432541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree 100 percent

its an important position in one of biggest clubs in aus

u want to get it right

surely it will be full time and pay a reasonable price to get the right person

Reply #432544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much is the salary package for CEO?

Reply #432594 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

CEO role at Knox would around $90k taking into account what other big clubs are paying. I believe BIG V CEO is around $75k.

Reply #432596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ops manager should be 45k/55k?

Reply #432601 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You pay peanuts and you get monkeys...

Reply #432604 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Correct LC.

I have heard much higher figures than this for CEO's of the large Melbourne Associations. Up to 140k for one.

As i suggested in my earlier post, the CEO role at Knox might be discounted at the moment and that is fair enough. I cannot believe the previous CEO would have been on anything less than 120-130.

Reply #432607 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Got shortlisted for one of the biggest recently and they were offering 85k-95k but were prepared to up it after the first year.That CEO role was focused more on their external business interests rather than the basketball

Reply #432615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats. have knox ppls assessment of RB.as interim ops mgr

should he get the. permanent gig or should they look north?

Reply #432617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should look west of Melbourne

Reply #432642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CEO of an organisation with that many participants and amount on turnover would be wanting $150k plus!

Understand they are struggling but a good CEO is an investment in your business and should be paid as such.

Reply #432651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rb will not get the job.

Reply #432652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Previous CEO reportedly on closer to 200 than 100 that wouldnt have helped their money issues.

Reply #432656 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

$200k is rediculous!!! Some serious issues going on there....

Reply #432664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ridiculous I agree!

Reply #432668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just keep plucking numbers out of the air people. Seriously you people need to get a grip. The prov CEO was on nothing like $200K and happy days, if you are a serious senior manager and was actually short listed then your now worthless jumping on a formum and blurting out your rubbish. Pull the other one mate.

Reply #432670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a grip everyone, Knox is the equivalent of a small business, they don't need a CEO, they need a General Manager because that's all the role is. 70-90k is all its worth.

Reply #432672 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Happy Days was not "blurting out rubbish".. they only said they had been shortlisted for a job at one of the majors and it was sold out at 85-95. Gave us enough clues to work out that the assoc was not Frankston, Dandenong, Knox or Nunawading at the same time.

Happy Days is one of the more sensible posters here.. hardly a target for some unnamed to be going after ... now if "the situation" took the piss then fair enough.

I have never heard any figure like 200k for Knox. If it that was true it would be ridiculous. But managing the biggest (or second biggest) assoc in the land, and a major multi-million $ brand new venue on top is worth considerably more than 70-90. I put the Knox job at 140 package if all things at Knox were right.

Those who think basketball administrators of our major centres need to be paid 45k and managers 75k are some of the people holding the sport back. The AASC is paying in that range for regional manager positions, Recreation Coordinator positions in local government are topping 60k in most places - never mind management.

Reply #432680 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

My email is to give people perspective as to what the salaries are. I've met with 2 Big V and 2 SEABL clubs in the last 12 months so the info is fairly current. I think $120-140k for Knox job.If they went to market they could get a high calibre administrator as having just gone to market you'd be surprised who is availible.

Reply #432684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

awk fair enough

Reply #432921 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754