Rav
Years ago

Dante Exum '50-50' on college or NBA

Softly spoken Exum now faces the biggest decision of his young life - nominate for next year's NBA draft and become an instant millionaire, or take a free scholarship at a US university and continue his development.

"It’s a lot of pressure but it’s better to be talking about having that option than not having it," he said.

“I used to be like 90 per cent to 10 that I was going to college, but recently they are saying that my stock has risen even more, that I could possibly go top five. Now it’s more of a 50-50 decision.”

Story Link Below:
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/10/report-2014-elite-international-prospect-dante-exum-50-50-on-college-or-nba/

As a massive college basketball fan, I hope he goes to college.
March Madness is my favourite time of the year.
Even though most of the teams featuring Aussies were knocked out in the 1st two rounds this year.

Topic #32376 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Good luck to him, whatever he chooses we wish him well. Talent is there, no doubt he can go NBA directly, as long as he stays healthy this is all good...

Exciting times ahead for Aussie hoop fans, either way!

Reply #431781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to the show.....stock can only go down if he plays college an gets hurt or doesn't dominate as they expect!

Reply #431783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right, but sitting on a bench for a year probably wouldn't do much for his development either.

Reply #431787 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

a top 5 pick sitting on a bench all year, are you serious??

Reply #431788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think he's ready to contribute to an NBA team? He would get bullied in the NBA.

Reply #431789 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

For mine, he cant go wrong. Hard to go past being a lottery pick in the 2014 NBA Draft though....

Reply #431790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, he's in a good position, that's for sure!

Reply #431793 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep, great that he is in a position to choose. He just needs good people to give him an honest assessment of whether he is mature enough to handle the rigours of the NBA at 18, or if he is better off spending a year in a college environment first.

Whatever he does, I just hope he reaches his potential and plays many great games for the Boomers in the years ahead.

Reply #431803 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I don't think maturity is an issue. AIS would have prepared him for the pros. I say take the draft while you can, if he gets injured or doesn't live up to the hype in college then he could ruin his pay day. What's the use of a year or 2 of college really? Unfinished education and empty pockets is all he will get out of the time spent there

Reply #431805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Countless players say college helps you prepare for the pros.

Reply #431806 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Adding to anons comment - Countless players are busts that skip college also

Reply #431808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're not allowed to skip college anymore unless you play overseas

Reply #431809 | Report this post

vesta  
Years ago

Benno, you do watch basketball, right? Let's not get carried away here.

Reply #431813 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@vesta Mate the 2014 draft is set to be one of the best drafts since lebrons. Do you really reckon a team who would have players such as Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Gordon or Exum would just make them ride the pine? Of course not, the drafted them for a reason to make there team better? Im not saying that he will be playing 30+ mins a game. but theres no way he will be riding the pine thats just a stupid thing to say.

Reply #431823 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Nowitzki and Parker are two examples of international players who joined NBA early and have done just fine. There's no reason why Exum can't do the same he is rated top 5 surely he would contemplate an NBA career asap

Reply #431825 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I tend to agree, if he goes early to any NBA team, Dante will be drafted to play...

Reply #431834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but both Dirk and Tony struggled early on. People were calling Dirk a bust in his first season.

Reply #431835 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He probably would struggle early on, he is very raw. But he is going to be a gun, so why not do your developing while making a lot of money instead of risking missing out due to injury?

Reply #431841 | Report this post

great chief  
Years ago

>>You're not allowed to skip college anymore unless you play overseas<<

Not true. You have to be out of high school for a year, but attending college is not a requirement. In fact, you can go straight to the NBADL right out of high school.

Reply #434675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754