chris
Years ago

Breakers sign new import Kerron Johnson

NZ Breakers have signed Kerron Johnson out of Belmont University.

Topic #32380 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

In his four year at Belmont, Johnson helped his team win 102 games, four regular season Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) championships, three conference tournament championships and three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

Johnson won conference tournament Most Valuable Player honours in 2012 and again this year.

Johnson delivered two of the most memorable moments in Belmont Bruins history earlier this year in the OVC Championship game against Murray State, hitting the game-tying and eventual game-winning shots to send his side to the NCAA tournament.

Johnson scored 22 points in the tournament's opening round match but couldn't stop his team getting knocked out by Arizona.

Courtesy of Stuff.co.nz

Reply #431851 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He looks quick with good handles and a good eye for finding his team mates.

From what I could find he's only about 6-1" 175 lbs but not many PG's in the NBL are much bigger.

Averaged 30mins in 2012-13 at Belmont for 14.3 points and 4.8 assists and 1.7 steals.

Looks to be a good solid signing for the Breakers to compliment the pieces they already have.

Reply #431852 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really good college resume, 14p & 5a in his last two seasons and good performances against top colleges. At first glance reads a bit like Ty McKee, highly skilled but NBA teams think he's too small.

Doesn't seem to be the defensive superstar that Jackson was, but descriptions of his offensive game are very similar, attacks the rim hard to either find teammates or get to he foul line.

Reply #431860 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

He looks good, lotta potential, will keep the Breaker's offence ticking. If their D drops off, league scoring average might finally start to creep up again :D

Reply #431868 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kerron was named to the All Conference 1st Team and won All Conference Tournament MVP ahead of fellow Belmont guard Ian Clarke (NBA Summer League MVP) and Isaiah Canaan who both recently signed NBA contracts with the Utah Jazz and Houston Rockets receptively.

I am liking this signing, a lot.

Here are some comments from him from the NZ Herald.

"My agent told me about a great opportunity that would allow me to grow and start my career in a quality organisation. Once I researched the organisation I knew that this is where I wanted to start my career. The Breakers are an organisation dedicated to winning and also doing what's best for the development of their players.

"I don't know much about the league as a whole. What I do know about the Breakers is that they are a team with a great reputation, a loyal and growing fan base. They also enjoy doing things for their community which is something you can't find in every organisation. The club's fast pace also fits best with my skill set and I will also be a part of a veteran ball club with a good core."

Johnson says fans can expect an up tempo style of game when the ball is in his hands.

"The fast pace type of basketball that the fans are used to seeing fits my skill set very well. I am at my best when the pace it up and down and in the open court. I am a fearless competitor that plays with fire and emotion and I think the fans will see and feel that when they watch me play. I am dedicated to continuing the championship dynasty that has been started."

Reply #431872 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, he's a top notch college PG, no doubt. Watching highlights he is QUICK getting the ball down the floor. Good at finding his big men too, I think Trueman will feed off him very well as he has a real knack for getting to the right spot.

Reply #431873 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Trueman will feed off him very well as he has a real knack for getting to the right spot."

you hit the nail on the head completely.

Lazare will add some scoring off the bench and Johnstone will push the ball and the tempo.
Having Corletto & Abercrombie spotting up outside should give hime some room in the lanes and make up for his average outside shot (I can't see his outside shot being worse than Jacksons).

Reply #431874 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My first, completely uninformed thought is he'll be similar offensively to Jackson in his first year, maybe a bit more polished.

Reply #431875 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I like his Freethrow shooting percentages (especially when comparing him & Jackson)

Reply #431879 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm gonna go out on a pre-season limb and call it, he'll be one of the top 8 PG's in the league!

Reply #431885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll rate him 9th behind Martin, Ervin, Clarke, Rhys Martin, Gibson, Dennis, Markovic and Wilson!!

Reply #431886 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

You hope your starting PG will be one of the top 8 PG's in an 8 team league

Reply #431894 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

sarcasm is lost here

Reply #431898 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Unappreciated in your own time, hey Mystro? ;)

Reply #431911 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

:nods head: ;)

Reply #431914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks to be a good replacement for jackson but time will tell i guess

Reply #431935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ retrump the Cats... for now

Reply #431968 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Another first-year-pro rookie. Quite a few this season.

Reply #431978 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Retrump?

Reply #432006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Another first-year-pro rookie. Quite a few this season."

Any port in a storm.

Reply #432009 | Report this post

Nat of Perth  
Years ago

Nathan get back to work on our gay breakfast radio show!

Reply #432078 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Right.

Pardon me, folks, I'm apparently required on the electric wireless.

In hotpants.

Reply #432091 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754