Isaac
Years ago

Perth sign local 7-footer Tom Jervis

The Perth Wildcats are just 1 player away from finalising their 2013-14 roster after they announced the signing of Kalgoorlie local Tom Jervis.

Jervis stands at 7 foot and has been a force in the SBL since returning from his brief college stint at Troy University. Last season with East Perth in the SBL he averaged 21 ppg, 12 rpg and 3 bpg.

Jervis adds some much needed size up front as All-NBL First Team member Matthew Knight has been hit with some injuries over the past 2 seasons. Jervis gives the Wildcats some front court flexibility should Knight go down again.
Bit more info at And The Foul.

Topic #32381 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

great that he's a local W.A player.

Reply #431880 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The highlights package of him is here, worth a look:

http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/1fnb6bs5kbu3m1kbobxt2atd0v

Reply #431888 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Him and Greg Hire as WA locals on the team, which is good. Hopefully he can show the same hunger and hustle that characterises Hire!

Reply #431890 | Report this post

WestCoastWildcat  
Years ago

Looks good.
Nice touch, not a bad 1st step for a C and his shooting stroke looks reasonable.

Welcome to the Wildcats Tom!

Reply #431899 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Pretty happy with this team so far!

Reply #431900 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Good signing, I think. A couple of seasons back it was Jervis vs Hire for a contract spot. Hire obviously went on to get the spot. Interestingly I think Bevo is on record as saying Jervis didn't work hard enough to be an NBL player. Hopefully he has done that hard work over the last couple of years. The other option is Gleeson has lesser standards/expectations than Bevo.

As long as he comes on and shows the same hustle that Truman did, it is a good signing.

Reply #431902 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not afraid to try that scoop lay-up. Seems agile and shoots the three. Good luck to him!

Reply #431920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks pretty solid all around, has better touch around the basket than some big men ive seen

Reply #431933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be an upgrade over Trueman. I think he and Burdon will be keen to prove they belong on an nbl roster. jervis could even be better than ben allen !

Reply #431936 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He reminds me (in that clip)a lot of Allen actually. Seems to play well on a much smaller opponent but he sure as hell won't have that much freedom to try those lay-ups in the NBL.
I've never seen him play properly. I hope he knows how to play like a big.

Reply #431938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He'll be doing well to be an upgrade over Trueman. For all his limitations, Jeremiah knew exactly what they were and just played the role that was asked of him.

Reply #431949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Situation, he reminded me of Allen too. Needs to mind the step between the pre-season and NBL proper. Trueman was consistent at either level.

Reply #431952 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So this leaves only a handful of import players left to sign through the league before all the rosters are finalised? Will be good to have an even footing to gauge squads on.

Reply #431959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great even more facial hair

Reply #431962 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Wollongong still have two locals to sign as well as an import.

Reply #431979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trueman was consistent all right, consistently bad.

Reply #431988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looks great playing aba level. Not going to get to excited about this until he can show glimpses of his play in the real season when there is 10,000 wildcat fans watching instead of 100.

Reply #431991 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Those scoop layups are interesting.

Actually, not a bad move though, as it allows him to get the shot off by going around players rather than trying to go over the top.
I actually think that kind of unorthodox style helps Daniel Johnson's game as well.

Can't wait to see the big Center reserves go at it. Some tall timber.

Jervis at 7 foot, Vanderjagt at 7"0, Big Luke at 7"2(?) - assuming DJ starts. Then Ben Allen at 6"11(who might be in for a tough season), Burston (6"11)

Throw in starters like Pledger (7"1) and DJ (who is 7"0 ..6'11 and 3 quarters), Ogilvy (6"11).

Reply #431999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the Wildcats press release Jervis is 6'11", the concerning part is he had a day job and is only now getting his first NBL gig at 26.

But yeah he's only replacing Trueman so regardless an upgrade on him.

Reply #432008 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

What is happening to Vigor?

He seemed like he had decent size and got played probably more junk minutes last season at Perth Arena than expected... Surely that will be good for his future but will he got a developmental role or has he had interest elsewhere?

Personally I think if a rival club needed players you'd look at the Wildcats development players from last year and see how they played in front of 11-12000 supporters and go from there... You can't buy that experience

Reply #432010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe only one of the hundred development players the Wildcats used last season has been signed by another team in Kyle Armour by the Kings and even then only a temporary injury replacement for Madgen.

Reply #432012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown liked Jervis and he's an NBA coach so he must be good. Will be hard ask matching Trueman shooting 66% but good luck to him.

Reply #432015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of SBL I went to a playoff game on the weekend and they were playing 48 minutes/12 minute quarters?

Can somebody clarify?

Reply #432559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is a boxscore of the game I went to:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=398125102&c=0-5011-0-255297-0&pool=1001

See the stats there are players clocking over 40mins+ so I wasn't seeing things.

Isaac maybe split this into a new thread.

I thought BA had jurisdiction over all of Australia or is WA exempt?

Reply #432562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Anyone?

Reply #432710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754