bethdavis10
Years ago

SEABL Round 20

Couldn't see a thread for the weekend's results - some big upsets! Ballarat snap their losing streak against Hobart, another controversial finish between Dandenong and Hobart, some VERY close games and exciting finished.

My full wrap up at AndTheFoul - http://andthefoul.net/archives/6947

Who does everyone think will make finals in the East? I'm saying it will be Bendigo, Geelong, Dandenong, Brisbane - in that order.

The South is pretty much set with just ladder positioning still potentially to go either way - but Mt Gambier, Nunawading, Hobart and Kilsyth are the four to make finals.

Topic #32389 | Report this topic

D4444  
Years ago

Yes, there were some strange results, especially both Tassie teams losing their road doubles.

I agree with your top 4 predictions. It's hard to see Brisbane losing to the Bandits without Jenkins.

Reply #432028 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What this weekend proved was that teams with depth are starting to look the most dangerous for the finals IMO...

Those teams without a strong bench, or who refuse to play the bench may be in for a rude awakening!

Reply #432029 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I haven't seen vision of it but Hobart players are pretty adamant that Tony Lewis'shot was after the buzzer in the Dandenong game. Third time this season?

Reply #432035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering the league put out a directive to all officials last week on how lasts shots that impact results were to be handled id hope proper process was followed.

Reply #432038 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

To excuse the refs, sound does travel much slower than light ;-)

Reply #432043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is SEABL's plays of the night from the Dandenong vs Hobart match - #1 play is the "buzzer beater". Vision is from a bad angle, behind the basket, with no shot clock or game clock in site, can only go on the sound of the buzzer and from 2 viewings I say the right call by the refs. But would be nice to actually see the clock also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_pqMJDp0To&feature=youtu.be

Reply #432046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Points count, left his hand before buzzer went.

Reply #432048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane win both against Albury and Sandringham and Dandenong beat Ballarat(both likely scenarios) Brisbane finish 3rd and get a home final in Brisbane in week 1 v Dandenong.

Reply #432064 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Very true - but I think Sandringham will get up over Brisbane on Saturday night.

Reply #432077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3rd time this season?? Watching the footage of Lewis' shot, it looks like it was good. The womens shot in Ballarat was before the buzzer so the refs have only got it wrong once!

Reply #432089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does 'Hotspot' show us?

Reply #432090 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

It was a question, not a statement. I hadn't seen footage (as I said) - and the footage available isn't really all that clear. I mentioned it because of the Hobart players reactions.

Reply #432093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit off topic, but how did you get into basketball Beth? Have you previously played?

Reply #432098 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Never played (competitively) but was involved with the Geelong Supercats in some form or fashion for about ten years.

Reply #432099 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Round 20- Scott Kenny - shot the lights out,
Doesn't seem to force shots up either.

Anyone out there think he can take his game to the next level (nbl)
- or what's holding him back ?

Reply #432149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure you've been on the court more than once too Beth ;-)

Reply #432151 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I said I've never PLAYED competitively...didn't say I've never been on the court! ;)

Reply #432198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Scott Kenny just hand 42pts to wildcats new SG? Hmmmmm

Reply #432281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony Stewart's take on the "buzzer beater" by Dandenong (would be great to see footage from another angle that includes the clock):

Controversy then reigned on Sunday, when the Chargers travelled to Dandenong. With the scores tied at 76-all with 2.9 seconds on the clock, the Rangers got the ball to Dwayne Campbell, who fired a potential game-winner from the top of the key.

The shot missed, but forward Tony Lewis swooped in to tip in the rebound as the buzzer sounded.

Chargers players and coaches called for the basket to be waved off but umpires decided to count it, handing the Rangers a two-point victory.

"If you watch the video footage, the shot was either after the siren or the lady on the clock didn't start it early enough," Chargers coach Anthony Stewart said.

"Even their coach [Darren Perry] came up after the game and said 'that's not good'.

"Because of some sticky fingers on the clock the game didn't go to overtime. After we fought back from 12 points down with 8 minutes to go, it was hard to take.

Reply #432508 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Last second call cost them. Crap!

No box out lead to what killed them all game

Gave up: 26 second chance points off 15 O Boards plus 17 from turnovers!

If the team played more D they'd have 2nd locked up.

Stewart's return has seen them go 1-4 when he said his presence would shore them up. He's called out most of the roster perhaps some self critiqueing might be needed!?

He's got the talent but another year of excuses and could-a-should-a wont cut it.

Reply #432534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart is a serial big mouth, read some of the rubbish he comes up with in their local paper, its bewildering.

Reply #432536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets just ignore the fact that DP agreed with Stewart shall we

Reply #433124 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754