BALLER#3
Years ago

Australia vs NBA

Just was thinking today purely on talent level etc. how many wins would Australia get at full strength in the NBA? Play off caliber or bottom dweller.

For me it's a hard question because so many are untested in the NBA but I think we wouldn't be the worst team out there. Especially if you took the possible rio Olympic team.

I think: now 20-30 wins, 2016 35-40 wins

Topic #32393 | Report this topic

the stratosphere  
Years ago

try to create some sort of averages and put the 2 together.

Reply #432081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you have a team in mind?

Current FIBA Oceania team plus Jawai, Bogut, Baynes etc

Reply #432083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the worst record in the NBA.

Reply #432084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Utter rubbish

Reply #432086 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

best possible aussies now and for 2016 predicting that exum and simmons have gotten to there potential

Reply #432087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a full strength Boomers team (Bogut, Mills, Baynes, Jawai etc) would be good for about the 20th best record in the NBA and might even push for a playoff spot.

Couldn't see a Bobcats or anything like that beating them but at the same time would get belted by the Heat, Spurs, Thunder etc.

Reply #432092 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I agree with anon above 30-35 wins a lottery team but competitive enough to trouble some lower ranked playoff teams

Reply #432094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth considering some adjustments to officiating and also that their opposition will generally have had a lot more time together under their belt. Depends whether the hypothetical allows for months of training together, etc.

Reply #432108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our second best player is a bench warmer in the NBA. And you guys expect them to challenge for a playoff spot....in the NBA? Ha!

Reply #432112 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They'd get some wins at least. Take a look at the 76ers depth chart - it's pretty horrible and most of those guys wouldn't start on the Spurs or Warriors.

Reply #432115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the Australian team wouldn't even make the 76ers roster.

Reply #432118 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Our team would benefit greatly by adapting to the three step lay-up rule!

:]

Reply #432119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To a few above, yes, NBA teams work closely together but I was working on the assumption this hypothetical Boomers team too would have it's core stay together over a few years, NBA style training camp, pre-season games etc. so it too could build a cohesive unit like most NBA teams.

Current Boomers style (all meet up a month before a series against NZ) would get flogged by most.

Reply #432121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look at the olympics. Australia have challenged the dream team everytime they have played them. Patty Mills has lit it up with the best. Joe Ingles was a beast and delly and Baynes they also looked classy against the dream team. And that is the dream team - the best of the best of the NBA. Australia would have a decent record.

Reply #432122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Boomers would compete....with the Bobcats

Reply #432124 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If Australia can compete with Team USA, how could we not be a top team in the NBA?

Reply #432127 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

The season is 82 games... If we got any injuries we would be dead.

Reply #432128 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I'm talking like if we were properly in the league with training camp etc. If Simmons and exum life up to expectations then the 2016 team would feature 3 legitimate NBA starters. Plus I believe that there isn't that much difference in skill level between the NbA and the res of the world. It's more a difference in play style. They are the best but not by as much as everyone thinks

Reply #432131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as far as hypothetical scenarios go... this definitely is one

Reply #432154 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

BETTER QUESTION:
How would an NBL team go against an NBA team?
Lets say, this seasons perth wildcats v.s bobcats.
Any chance of a perth win?

Reply #432211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL vs NBA team, there will be serious injuries and the game would be called off at half time.

Reply #432255 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

#45, doubt it. Maybe a combination of Perth and NZ could be competitive? Who did the Bobcats have last year in place of Zeller and Jefferson?

Reply #432256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats would have no chance against anyone. Athleticism differences are to great.

Reply #444899 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bilbao, who are bottom of the Spanish league, nearly beat Philly in the pre-season. Now Bilbao arent really a bottom team, just having a bad start, but they arent any better than Perth.

Reply #444909 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Perth refs or neutral refs? :D

Reply #444911 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

The standard of international Ball is a little closer then I think some people give credit for. Euroleague teams have beaten top NBA teams before and the games are usually competitive. They are just different styles of basketball that highlight the different skill sets each team and league has.

Having said that.. I wouldnt expect an NBL team to beat an NBA team... but I do think that the top NBL team (or top 3) could be competitive... and keep the margin under a respectable 20 or so..

Reply #444915 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

As for Australia vs NBA.. I think the Boomers could beat anyone on their day, when Simmons and Exum come of age.. plus drmic etc Australia will be a majority NBA team anyways.. by next olympics, an Aussie NBA team could be competitive play off material.

Reply #444916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey has the most relevant point Sir Ricey touche

Reply #444952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't someone ask Longley when he was in Adelaide???? He would know more than any of us internet superstars

Reply #444956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #444992 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754