the stratosphere
Years ago

why do we still have circles at the top of the key

ok - if I built a court today - would you expect circles at the top of the key ?

or just a foul shooting line and 3 point line ?

we could mark u10/12 shooting spots and obviously keyway sides and hashmarks etc

circle at the top of the keyway under todays rules is nothing more than marks on the floor

Topic #32394 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe one day they will bring back the jump ball

Reply #432085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

foul shots need to be taken from within the semi-circle

Reply #432103 | Report this post

the stratosphere  
Years ago

righto so I will have to plan for a semi circle - but no dotted line on the inside

Reply #432109 | Report this post

Cairns  
Years ago

Just stop being all technical and cute and paint a normal court bruh.

Reply #432120 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"foul shots need to be taken from within the semi-circle"
... which in reality is irrelevant, since no one takes free throws from anywhere other than near the middle of the line.
If I was painting my own court I probably wouldn't bother with the circle. I don't think it helps much with orienting yourself on the court either (unlike the keyway and 3 point arcs)

Reply #432136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is the sky blue? Oh hang on, I just had a odd thought and first thing I did was post it.

Reply #432137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why shouldn't gay people have the same rights as straight people? Oh hang on, I just had a perfectly legitimate question but I shouldn't post it, I should just accept the way things currently are without questioning them.

Reply #432139 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Nothing is stopping the gays from having circled keyways.

Reply #432141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They paint the semi circle so they can call it a key way

Reply #432144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats classic Situation! End seen, that post nailed it.

Reply #432152 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^ but these days everyone calls it "the paint"

Dunkin' Dan - at least in the NCAA, the "inside the (semi) circle" rule is about preventing a running jump into the shot. It was originally introduced to prevent Wilt Chamberlain's technique of using a running take-off to dunk the free throw (from an article in the Toledo Blade newspaper, Nov 28, 1956)

Reply #432201 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

All the more reason to scrap the circle. We should be encouraging free throw dunks ;)

Reply #432209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754