Isaac
Years ago

Kerr suggests NBA lottery changes to solve tanking

Here's a long piece by Steve Kerr about the problem of teams tanking in the NBA to improve their lottery chances. It finishes with a variety of suggestions that include penalising the absolute worst teams (the very bottom 2-3 teams can't draft first to third), rotating picks rather than using a lottery or encouraging those teams which barely miss the play-offs.

...take the teams with the three worst records in the league and reduce their lottery odds. In fact, if you finish in the bottom three, you are INELIGIBLE for a top-three pick. You will pick no higher than fourth.
Or under another scheme:
In this world, a team like Utah -- which battled the entire season and came up just shy of the playoffs -- would have a 5-in-14 shot of picking in the top 5. I think that would be a just reward for competing all season long and trying to win at a high level. Under the current rules, Utah -- in the 13th slot -- had a 0.6 percent chance of winning the lottery and a 2.2 chance of picking in the top 3.

I read an interesting topic on r/NBA about the Bobcats/Hornets grabbing Al Jefferson rather than tanking. It suggested that tanking was a bit of a risky proposition and that weak teams in that position would be unlikely to add successfully via trades as prospects would sign with more promising rosters. So they likened the Jefferson buy to that way the Warriors have built a team. Show a bit of potential, build up through mid-level draft picks until you have a good record, then try to nab someone decent through free agency (Iguodala, in this case).

Topic #32396 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Warriors are a great example of how to build a team without tanking.

Pacers are another prime example. Hill, George, Hibbert were all first round picks, though none of those went higher than number 10. Stephenson was pick 40. Granger went at 17 (1st round but still not that high).

Then they went out and got a nice free agent in West in 2011.

Unfortunately, GMs don't have that much patience and confidence in their players.

Bird had/has both. He drafted/made moves for that entire Pacers starting unit and the team is reaping the rewards.

In drafts like next year, tanking for a couple of teams seems like a low risk, high reward option.

Beyond Wiggins teams will still have guys like Parker, Randle, Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon.

So even if you slip to the 5th/6th pick, you are still looking at a franchise type player.

Reply #432158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather than go with Kerr's idea just make it even all teams have a 1 in 14 chance

Reply #432167 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Perhaps just alter the draft lottery probability distribution?

For example:

Instead of the worst team having ~25% chance of landing the #1 pick, they have ~15%. The final lottery pick would have a greater chance of landing the #1 pick, such as ~2% (rather than the fraction of a percent chance they have under the current system).

Obviously the probabilities used would be different to those I've described.

In essence: adjust the probability distribution enough to create sufficiently less incentives to tank by reducing the odds of landing a high draft pick. This way perennial bottom-feeders still have a high chance of improving through the draft, but cannot rely on it.

To me this seems the simplest solution to 'tanking' without creating unnecessarily complicated rules exceptions.

Reply #432182 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I like the idea of each lottery team getting a 1/14 chance. I've been for this idea for a while now. It would stop the bottom dwellers flat out tanking (they would still try different lineups and young guys towards the end of the season) but it wouldn't reward the 15-20 win teams. Sure, sometimes a bad team could get stuck at the bottom for year after year but it would definitely help the fringe playoff teams and would be a lot more exciting and unpredictable. Especially if it was actually cast and shown live. The only real downside to this suggestion is teams like Milwaukee this season trying to miss the playoffs (and a sweep to the #1 seed) in order to have a lottery chance but I'd rather see that than teams going for a 15 win season.

Reply #432183 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

MACDUB, the Warriors all but admitted to tanking the final months of the 2011-12 season in order to keep their first pick which was involved in a trade, but top-7 lottery protected.

Reply #432185 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Weighing up the consequences of a long rebuilding process (loss of revenue, fans, et al) versus a sustained period of success afterwards.

Reply #432217 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Vart, hit the nail on the head. That should have been my Jazz's pick!

Reply #432237 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

What if, during the playoffs (after the 1st round), the lottery teams plus 2 eliminated teams from the 1st round with the worst season records, play a 16 team elimination style tournament with the winner taking the #1 pick, runner-up 2nd etc?

This would be played concurrently with the NBA Playoffs, with the teams ranked by their records. The worst teams would get homecourt. This past season, the 1st round matchups would've been:

Orlando (20-62) V Boston (Lucky Loser #1)
Charlotte (21-61) V Milwaukee (LL #2)
Cleveland (24-58) V Utah (43-39)
Phoenix (25-57) V Dallas (41-41)
New Orleans (27-55) V Philadelphia (34-48)
Sacramento (28-54) V Toronto (34-48)
Washington (29-53) V Portland (33-49)
Detroit (29-52) V Minnesota (31-51)

I think it would be really interesting. One match elimination like the NCAA tourney. Teams WOULD NOT want to finish last and play a playoff team (Orl V Bos for example). It'd probably be more exciting than the early games of the 2nd round of playoffs.

It would also encourage teams on the fringe of the playoffs, but with a slightly dodgy W/L record (Milwaukee), to push for that playoff spot and play one of the 2 lowest ranked teams in the Lottery Tournament (if they lose in the 1st round of the playoffs of course), instead of tanking and missing the playoffs.

For the players in the Lottery Tournament teams, this would give them the chance to show off their "big game" capabilities which may not have otherwise been put on show. For example, Tobias Harris has a MASSIVE clutch game and gets the Magic over the line against the Celtics.

For the league, they could auction off the rights to the tourney to a TV network for decent dollars.

Thoughts? Problems?

Reply #432243 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

The reason they give the best odds to the last place team is so the worst get better.

That system you suggested there does not do that! the middle range teams get better, the top teams drop down to middle teams and worst stay worst.

Reply #432246 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

But won't it discourage the tanking problem? That's what we're trying to solve here. Why would anyone "try" and finish last (or even bottom 3) with that in place. Sure, the seedings could do with some tweaking maybe, but I think it would be decent for all.

Has the "weighted odds" lottery really made many teams better? Maybe OKC, but other than that, it's been an abysmal failure generally. This way, teams can't really afford to salary dump, and tank. The Bucks for example, may not have traded away young talent like Harris if they knew they had the Lottery Tournament coming? Maybe it would encourage bad teams to build (hold onto decent talent) rather than constantly "rebuilding".

Also, there are no guaranteed wins in those match ups above. The Magic would be up against a tired (after the 1st round V Knicks), old Celtics in the 1st round. Charlotte could match it with the Bucks. Out of all of them, maybe only Dallas over Phoenix is a sure bet, even then I wouldn't be comfortable backing them in a one-off game on the Suns' homecourt. The Cavs could have easily beaten the Jazz this season, especially at the Q.

Reply #432249 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

AK-47 fair enough.
Think that meant you guys would have Harrison Barnes?
He has the potential to be a great player

Have to admit though, Utah's draft picks in recent years/player movements haven't been great.

I think it all tends to balance out. You get some good luck, you get some bad luck.

But in terms of dealing with situations they can control (Selecting players in the draft), Utah need to do a better job

Reply #432254 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

This is the first year its really became a big issue because of the strength of next years class. but i dont think its generally a big issue.

In recent years alot of it came down to bad management and bad luck

Bad management - Bobcats. Terrible draft choices, terrible trades

Bad Luck - Portland, aka greg oden and Brandon Roy

Unless you have a superstar it will take a few years for that team to get good. Look at the Bulls and Clippers now, teams that have built around a strong draft coming good 4 years after they got top picks. Cleveland were starting to look good until lebron fled. I think Washington is going to be alot better this year with a healthy John Wall.

Reply #432286 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I like the idea of not rewarding tanking. Every year, there is probably only 25 teams actually trying to compete and 4 or 5 who couldn't give a toss how many games they win!

You could lock the teams with the four worst records out of the top 4 picks. Then teams that can't make the playoffs would still have something to play for late in the season and their fans would have something to sustain their interest too.

I don't think this would lock the bottom four teams into a cycle of failure either. First of all, they'd still probably get a top 10 pick, which if used well, could net them a franchise player.

Secondly, experience counts for a lot in the NBA. A team in the bottom four would have an incentive to put together a team of savvy vets to drag them out of the bottom four. Good GMs could really make a name for themselves building great TEAMS of players that work well together and embrace the role of plucky underdog.

Think a team of guys like (off the top of my head) Ben Gordon, Nate Robinson, Luke Ridnour, Drew Gooden, Carlos Delfino, Baby Davis, etc. All solid professionals who have had decent careers, but who are never going to play a big role on a championship team. Those guys would love turning up each game to try to knock off the big fish and win enough games to keep their team out of the bottom four.

Reply #432648 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh sorry, forgot to say, Speed44, that I think a post-season tournament for the bottom 16 teams or so wouldn't work because of the extra games players would be adding to an already over-long season.

The NBA also wouldn't want to hold such a tournament in parallel with the playoffs, because it would be seen to be taking some of the focus away from the teams that had earned post-season berths. So the tournament would have to be held after the end of the season and that would mean bringing back players who hadn't played for a couple of months.

So while I like your idea in isolation, I just don't think it would realistically get any support from either the players or the league.

Reply #432649 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with Beantown & Ingles13 - great to see some lateral thinking, but sadly not practical.

Give them all equal chances (1/14) or, at best, give the bottom seven only a slightly better chance (2/21 versus 1/21).

Reply #432653 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Heres a idea, what if they looked outside the box a bit.

How about they look away from what position they finish and start look to reward clubs on other tangable and intangible items.

*Community work
*Stability
*Facility improvements
*Responsible management of contracts
*Life after basketball transition courses

Reward teams who don't make the finals who are looking to improve the league.

Reply #432663 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Really, don't teams often trade a player once, twice or even three times before that player settles into a season? Is this such an issue, maybe it is being overcooked...

Minor tweak required only, no drastic changes needed IMO!

Clubs who tank risk an infestation of poor culture taht could hurt then for decades (just look at what has happened here to the Melbourne FC in the AFL), tank at your own peril.

Reply #432673 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Straightforward measures include fining teams a significant portion of money or reducing their salary cap limit for the following year.

To make it fair for genuinely weak teams (decimated by injury, or weak roster that is trying to win every game), the penalties could only apply to teams who have been in the top 5 lottery for consecutive years.

Reply #432674 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I like the 1/14 chance suggestion. I just think the reverse might start happening with that. The bottom 4 or 5 clubs, in the playoff positions, might start thinking that they have no shot in the playoffs, and try to slip out. This scenario would be no good for anyone. The bottom clubs may still lose out on the best picks, the middle of the road clubs, might accidentally sneak into the playoffs and miss out on the lottery, and the slightly better clubs could get better unfairly.

I could be wrong, but nothing in the NBA would surprise when it comes to tanking.

Reply #432678 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

What if every team went into the lottery, even playoff teams? The team with the worst record gets 30 ping pong balls, the team with the best record gets one, and the selections just go in order of which balls come out first, no more weighting.

Reply #432681 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That would be interesting Vart, so the last 10 teams get between 20-30 balls each in the draw...

Interesting, also maybe avoids some tanking as I'd imagine most teams would be happy to know they are in with that many possibilities of a pick!

Reply #432711 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yep Bear - team with the worst record would get 30 balls, team with the second worst record 29 balls, and so on and so on, through to the team with the best record who gets one ball. You'd need to look at head-to-head records between teams to get splits etc.

So it still is weighted, but not as much as it is now, ie. you cannot guarantee you'll get a top-10 pick (NOTE: any maths wizards or actuaries feel free to calculate this out for me....ha ha).

Reply #432715 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

OK, old topic but I've been thinking about this.

I've taken the idea of NASCAR's "The Chase", and applied it to the NBA. What if, after the All-Star game, a separate ladder for teams out of the playoffs, or on the bubble is assembled. The best record after the ASG, but out of the playoffs wins the #1 pick, the 2nd best gets #2.

To protect the genuinely crappy teams, they will have an asterix next to them, that for example, the worst record is guaranteed the 3rd pick, the 2nd worst gets the 6th, 3rd worst gets the 9th. So those picks are set in stone, and the rest of the picks around them are up for grabs.

Just throwing it out there, smash it apart if you like. I do like daneo's idea of rewarding teams who do good things for the communtity/charity etc. Maybe that could be factored in as well?

Reply #435135 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754