Nathan of Perth
Years ago

Mathiang Muo ruled out for season

New Perth Wildcats recruit Mathiang Muo has suffered a tear to his left Achilles tendon, which occurred during training yesterday.

Following the incident, the 26-year-old had scans which revealed a significant tear, and after meeting with the team doctor and surgeons, the decision was made to have it surgically repaired tomorrow.

Strength and conditioning coach Will Markwick says it will be a long rehabilitation process, with the aim to get the young gun fit and firing for the start of next season.

"Achilles tendon injuries can take up to 12 months to recover from," said Markwick.

“He faces a lengthy rehabilitation program, but we'll be working closely with him to ensure that he’s at 100 per cent come the 2014/15 season.”

Head coach Trevor Gleeson is understandably disappointed and says the club will rally around Muo - who is yet to play a game for his new club.

“We are all bitterly disappointed for Mathiang and although this injury is a setback, it certainly doesn’t change our belief in his ability,” said Gleeson.

“We’ll support him through this difficult time, but our attention has now turned to looking for a replacement to ensure we’re ready to go at the start of the season.”

Topic #32403 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

FARK FARK FARK FARK

Reply #432279 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Any 2 guards returning from college not already picked up?

Reply #432284 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Is Daly signed anywhere?

Reply #432285 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Or Delly? ;-)

Reply #432287 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Only positives from this happening before the season starts is we have a month or so to scramble, find and integrate a replacement, and it should give Muo a chance at a full-preseason next year.

Other than that, terrible thing to have happen for a player just looking to start their first pro-season. Goddamn...

Reply #432289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about bennie lewis as a replacement how is he points wise?

Reply #432294 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - that's terrible news for both Muo and the Wildcats. This kids has good potential and it is such a shame for him as he was set to commence his pro career following a great collegiate one.

Reply #432296 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Terrible news... Daly, get on a plane to Perth this minute!

Reply #432299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Daly's a 3, could they go

Martin/Daly
Import/Burdon
Ennis/Hire
Wagstaff/Redhage
Knight/Jervis

Should fit in the points cap and be just as strong imo. Better fit with Burdon as back up sg not pg imo aswell.

Reply #432301 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Would think Purser might be a chance if they look to recruit from within.

Reply #432302 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What about Scott Kenny? He has been tearing up SEABL but is he a 1 or 2.

Reply #432303 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't rate Purser. I know he hasn't been given a great opportunity but from what I have seen in the past two years, he is nothing special. I think Field has more upside and versatility. A 6'9" shooting guard!

Reply #432305 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

I agree, Purser hasn't impressed me. He can score in the SBL, but has a terrible shot and even worse 3 point %. Always thought Field had more potential. But both would have already been offered a contract if deemed worthy of one, instead of Burdon.

Is Burdon a point or shooting guard? And was Muo earmarked as a back up shooting guard or small forward?

Reply #432307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burdon is a bit like a SG in a PG's body.

Tom Daly is a better player but alas is 3 points.

Reply #432335 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Muo was meant to be back up shooting guard and I think we could go for Bennie Lewis and Lance Hurdle and bring full on action packed play at the 2?

Such a shame for Muo as I was more excited watching him than anyone this season

Reply #432337 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Burdon is a shooter, but can play some point though it's a long time since I've seen him play. Plays smart enough to be a third-string PG at least, I would've guessed. Years ago when he suited for Adelaide, he was pretty composed for a rookie and I imagine that's a useful trait for a PG.

With Martin and Burdon, I think they'd need a SG/PG import (like Rotnei Clarke, Gibson, etc). If Daly was there and he took a little step up, they could possibly get away with a guy like Hurdle who didn't need to distribute too much.

Would hate to see Daly out of the league, to be honest.

Reply #432339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea same re Daly, hopefully Perth or someone pick him up.

Reply #432340 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

Bennie Lewis / Daniel Dillon

Reply #432344 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Dillon is a 6 or 7, isn't he?

Lewis may be a four but if the 'special exemption for players who can't find a gig' rule still applies, this may be the test for it.

Reply #432348 | Report this post

fastbfeak  
Years ago

Anyone who says daly is better then burden obviously hasn't watched any seabl this year. Eze is a better complete player hands down.

Reply #432349 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I reckon they should sign Dillon

Reply #432413 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Who is this guy... Never even heard of him previously.

Reply #432421 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Lewis(4) will only fit if we sign Hurdle (9). Tom Daly an option or upgrade a guy like Field or Purser

Reply #432429 | Report this post

WestCoastWildcat  
Years ago

We need someone who can distribute but still stretch the floor.

FFS

Reply #432434 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they should still sign the best import available and then worry about Muo's replacement. Ennis, Hire, Martin and the import should be able to cover the majority of minutes from 1-3, with Wagstaff, Burdon and the final signing covering the rest.

Ennis 10/Hire 25/Wagstaff 5
Import 15/Ennis 20/Burdon 5
Martin 25/Import 10/???? 5

Reply #432435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrod Kenny?

Reply #432436 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Daly, Kenny, Wagner, Louis, George, Anderson, Ruscoe, Prewster, Bloxham... all depends what they are after.

Josh Bloxham might be a good fit, he has done a solid grounding at the Breakers and can stand up to the physical side of the NBL, is a good character, good defender, shot 41% from deep for Nelson last NZNBL season etc. Could do a lot worse.

Reply #432437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they looking for a back up 1 who can spread floor....you'd be calling Macdonald

If you want more a 2 not many around an they got eze....but he can't play back up pg he can't do it at seabl level so won't do it in nbl

Reply #432442 | Report this post

WestCoastWildcat  
Years ago

Rodrigue Beaubois is yet to find a home...Well, I can dream anyway!

Reply #432468 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jarrod Kenney reminds me of a poor mans Damien Martin and would be a great back-up for him.

Reply #432470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad to see any player injured, but hope this means Tom Daly gets a contract, I certainly think he deserves and combines well with his Pioneers teamate in Burdon!

Reply #432491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you mean shane mcdonald?
he played for the cats about 5 seasons ago,
I thought he was real average at NBL level.
below average shooter, average handles and not very athletic.

Reply #432547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Damon heuir or Joel Naburgs available, Tom Daly or Chris Cedar?

Reply #432553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez can't the Sudanese get their own names. Stop using Chinese ones! Does my head in.

Reply #432588 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ Anon....if people are pushing Daly....sorry to say but Macdonald is clearly a level above him!

If they wanted to go after a young 2 guard....Naburgs isn't a terrible choice.

Reply #432592 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

My enduring memory of Shane MacDonald's time at the Wildcats is a shot he too inside the free throw circle that fell short of the ring. He was the worst shooter I have seen in the history of the NBL. Unless he has improved out of sight, no thanks.

Reply #432600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754