Grandad
Years ago

Old Bastards BB - 45+ comp at Wayville

A funny thing happened on the way to the finals...a BSA COCKUP broke out.

Ok, only social BB but a good example of the incompetence which is BSA.

The 45+ at Wayville is a 'social' comp but played by ex-NBL, State League, PRE NBL stars & Olympians. Such as Al Green, Rick Hodges, David & Phil Smyth, Steve Breheny, Mark Sykes, Brian Henig & Mike Dancis to name only a very few.
Not playing for sheep stations but given the competitive nature of the participants…YES playing for sheep stations.

Usually the finals consist of 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 and then a GF. On this occasion the 3rd team had to forfeit so the 5th team was promoted into the finals……peculiar!

Anyway just before the 2 vs 3 game is about to start the US Devils ( I believe) noticed that the other team Lions had a player they had never seen play before. So they queried the eligibility of that player, before the game, with the stadium (nite??) manager who checked the score sheets and indicated that this player had clearly played 2 games which seemed insufficient by the By Laws BUT THAT eligibility was managed by Corry Moores (BSA).

The next morning US Devils queried the player eligibility with BSA (Corry Moores) and I understand received a reply that YES the player had only played 2 games and was ineligible and that meant that Lions had forfeited the game.

Problem solved ………BUT WAIT there’s more

Some 2 hours later US Devils get an email from BSA that Corry had remembered that he had given ‘special dispensation’ (I guess) to Lions that Andy Symonds only had to play 2 games. WTF So US Devils are back out of the GF.

During this lengthy deliberation process I am sure that it is only a coincidence that Andy Symonds is the current Forestville ABL coach and that the Forestville Club are collocated with BSA (Corry Moores) at Wayville.

It would appear that the competition By Laws are not quite the rules of the competition.

In the meanwhile I have it on good authority that US Devils are currently recruiting a 30 year old for their 45+ team since a precedence has been set by BSA that you only need to fulfil 2/3 of the eligibility as stated in the "BY LAWS".

Topic #32411 | Report this topic

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

If you read the social league by laws on the BSA website the possession arrow isn't supposed to be used either.

I also played finals this week and the 5th member of the opposition hadnt played a game at all.

Reply #432568 | Report this post

Old juice  
Years ago

At wayville they do what they like,.a few years back our team played at wayville ,we were top all year ,lost two games,we play team 4th and lost by 30 points.

They had a ringin,he scored a lot of points,we never ever seen him play and they said he qualified.i kept the name and found out that team used this ringin under a different name who had qualified.

He was a District player for West Adelaide ,apparently the BSA rules state no distinct players allowed in social comp.when asked Mr moores about this he didn't do much in a way of following up,because e didn't give a shit.typical manager .

Our team was disgusted with handling of my complaint,we never saw the guy play for that team the following season ,knew some opposition and the said the same.

Like the finals one team had to forfeit and 5th team come in was a joke,that's manager way of handling teams ,that would have been mo game would have costed him $100 less payday.

Reply #432572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rules haven't been changed for ages,they like to get away with it,just for the money sake.

Reply #432574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps Andy was eating some apples on the bench at some games?

Reply #432587 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

And this s why no Under23 players from Forestville get to play games at home!

Please, grow up, most of the rules are made up as they go....

Reply #432597 | Report this post

Grandad  
Years ago

I understand that sanity prevailed, Lions were excluded from the Grand Final and US Devils played in the GF.

Only a pity that it took a week of intense protestation for this to happen.

Reply #433106 | Report this post

agrid  
Years ago

Get over it, a bunch of old guys should be happy to be allowed on the court.

(FYI I'm over 50 and still play)

Reply #433205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soo as I see it. An exemption to the By laws was requested by the Lions. this request was granted by BSA. The stadium manager forgot/didnt know about the special circumstances and therefore granted the player ineligible. Stadium manager subsequently realizes that an exemption was granted and try's to rectify the situation.

Exemptions to the bylaws are granted all the time. Otherwise those who are injuried, in state/aus teams may not be able to play finals.

I cant really see to big of an issue here. Is your problem that a player was given special consideration. Or is the issue that the special consideration was given to Andy Symonds presumably as he was unable to make enough games due to his coaching commitments at Forestville.

Reply #433209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754