Anonymous
Years ago

I know this again... college v staying in Oz?

It is simply horses for courses? It seems to me that the vast majority of players are better off playing college ball. I realize there are a few examples of players that have stayed and its worked out well. However surely there are just as many examples of kids who have stayed and have suffered for it.

Ive struggled with this for some time now and I think a good example is Daly. Kid was a gun in juniors, easily could have gotten a gig with a variety of colleges and would have received a free education (albeit he may have had to do another couple of units when he got back to sure up his degree) 4 years of quality competition and when he returned the "I'm back factor" that would have given him at least a chance at a youth development spot.

Could someone please state the argument against... seems like college is the better option for players nearly every time.

Topic #32422 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood, was a lock to be a boomer prior to college now you would think its a long shot. You could argue if he played nbl he would have been a star like Ingles and be playing in the Oceania series at the moment.

Reply #432818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it isn't just a NBL Vs College question. There are 347 Div 1 college basketball teams and it depends on what program you get in to will determine if (a) you improve and (b) enjoy your time in the states.

I personally think the College life experience, the competition and crowds you can play in front of outweighs the NBL life style with little media coverage, poor crowds and a crap administration. For example, Iggy and Drmic at Boise played in front of an average crowd of 6,000+ and some games 10,000+. I would imagine that only NZ or Perth would get close to that. http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/boise-state-mens-basketball-nearing-sellout-bronco-hoops-football-in-elite-group/

As for players development, minutes and experience, probably best to look at different players of the same year/age:

- Matthew Delladova, Brock Motum, Ryan Broekhoff Vs Shaun Bruce, Josh Wilcher, Todd Blanchfield
- Anthony Drmic, Iggy Hadziomerovic, Hugh Greenwood Vs Mitch Creek, Mitch Norton
- Venky Jois Vs Owen Odigie

I personally think that the way most development players are treated and the minutes the play, it's best to get the experience at College, get to play and enjoy the game rather than get junk minutes. This is unless you get into an NBL program where the coach is excited to develop and play young kids (i.e. Brian Goorjian in the case of Joe Ingles, Jason Smith, Frank Drmic, Chris Anstey, etc).

Reply #432823 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I have a hard time believing even guys like norton and blanchfield who are young yet have contract security and decent playing time wouldn't both have been better off going to college. At least basketball wise. And then look at guys who are out of the league now in mick and chris cedar. If both did the college thing and did it properly it would be different story.

but at the same time you cant begrudge a guy for going pro if its best for his family.

Reply #432848 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

No matter where you go, if the coach isn't on your side, for whatever reason, then you get crap minutes with no opportunity to develop.

Could happen anywhere, but the chance to get a free education and live the college life is a once off, you don't go you will miss that chance, gone forever!

Reply #432851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairly resounding answer to that, anyone out there offer the opposite perspective...

Reply #432874 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I talked about this with Liam Flynn a while back and he said it's a mixture of things.

For most of the young guys he deals with it's about the individual university, not the concept of going to university. Because only the really cut-throat institutions actually groom players, others can be negative for development. Naturally Aussie young guys aren't the cream of the crop, so they don't get the good offers.

He said homesickness plays a bit of a part as well as some kids simply not wanting to pursue further study. If not for the study aspect, Blanchfield would've gone, if I can recall.

Reply #432956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And then there is always the gun violence like this:

Melbourne baseball star Christopher Lane dies in US drive-by shooting

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/national-news/victoria/melbourne-baseball-star-christopher-lane-dies-in-us-drive-by-shooting/story-fnii5sms-1226699511591#ixzz2cM2fxTcv

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/victoria/melbourne-baseball-star-christopher-lane-dies-in-us-drive-by-shooting/story-fnii5sms-1226699511591

Reply #432957 | Report this post

MrM  
Years ago

I was lucky enough to play D1 college ball at a mid-level program after growing up in Western Australia as a kid years and years ago (plus some tours of California during HS where I was recruited). I was not an AIS player or any of the sort (which still tend to be the privileged players and politically motivated selections or the 6'6" athletes and above only club or the sons of NBL players or AFL players and the like) and I wasn't getting access to the special level of coaching that these sorts of kids got.

College ball was awesome. Loved every second of it. Spent the first year in the weight room because we don't do near enough of this in Oz (see Motum, Brock who should have been what he was in his senior season as a sophomore - oh and Baynes, Aron as well who took until his senior year to get in proper shape and Luke S who rumor has it could barely left the bar when he got to Georgia Tech).

The only people who don't want the kids going to college to play are the ones with the skin in the game to keep them home. I.e. they want them to stay home so they can win here. They'll say "You will get better development and chances here" but for almost every one it is not the case. I heard it - the "State League will lead to NBL opportunities and then maybe Boomer if you are good enough". "Or the NBL bench is the way to get experience". They don't have the best interests of the kid at heart. For an Australian citizen those opportunities will still be there no matter what happens in college.

Our best players leave our shores early. Simple as that. Mills is likley not in the NBA with out St Mary's. Dellavedova will get a better shot for the same reason. Baynes is well known in the USA before his Europe stint. Ingles and Barlow should have at least got a look in and a few games by this stage of their career but haven't and may never get the chance. Hell, if you go back years, I believe Andrew Gaze had the chance to be a 10 year NBA player but he only went for the one year at Seton Hall instead of being there 4 and even though they made the national championships that year(and I could be wrong but I believe he was trying to get another year of eligibility which was denied rather than enter the draft).

Greenwood and co - well they are still developing and this may be all they were ever going to be - or not. Maybe he gets more NBL time - you just don't know. I will say that if I was picking a absolute-no-injuries full strength Boomers squad only Ingles and Andersen absolutely make it as players who didn't play college ball plus maybe Gibson because we lack guard depth behind Mills and Dellavedova (not because I think he is a international level starter). Note I am picking Exum and Simmons (I now live in Florida so I saw a few of his HS games)

I will tell you this - being a basketball player on a USA college campus is an experience you would never regret - and you only ever get one chance at it. As an individual player and person you are an idiot to pass it up (unless you are Dante Exum and expected to be a lottery pick - then you go to the NBA and get the money AND the experience).

If you know someone considering it or capable of it you should be pushing them to do it or at least give it every chance to happen.

Reply #433083 | Report this post

BBallRUs  
Years ago

Sometimes getting to college is the only route to a career in basketball if you are not recognised at the the state level early. You haven't had the exposure to great coaching and you fly by on raw talent that the state and national entities can't claim as being one of theirs - politics is alive and well in junior basketball. If you are in this class, and there are many out there, do everything you can to go to college - they are only interested in how you play and whether you can help them WIN. If you show talent, they will use it and you will get your chances.

Reply #433419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My son is 6'11" and has raw talent but needs some maturing both physically and mentally. He was ignored for many years by local coaches. He made the state squad a few times but was never picked for the nationals. We had him coached by a local American coach who focused on what college coaches want to see (Perhaps this is why the Australian coaches weren't too enthused by him). He's flying to a juco right now, the head coach really liked to look of him when he tried out a few months ago. I really hope this pathway works out for him to live the basketball dream but if it doesn't, he will have had a fabulous experience.

Reply #433443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754