Anonymous
Years ago

Club Trials - What Is The Objective?

What is the community voice in respect to club trials for juniors is it to do what?

Determine how many teams you are going to submit for the coming season? and leads to what is the right number of teams per club that would provide the right depth for two year age groups?

Grading the new kids and how many teams for the coming season?

What makes a club or competition successful is it all about div 1 or CABL or overall club success across all grades and junior development or depth of competition?

How do kids learn to play good team basketball in a fractured social competition is this part of the reason kids leave the sport?

Thoughts welcome.....

Topic #32428 | Report this topic

the fan  
Years ago

? long standing formality and part of the process.
coaches already know their existing players so only new ones should trial.

possibly an old introduction level for newbies to a club - i.e. clubs now have other ways in induct a player.

you still put a for sale sign on your house - but most buyers go through other avenues.

i.e. if you get scouted by a club - they know where they want you - why trial ? Just come to trainings for some player v player results.

Reply #432929 | Report this post

the fan  
Years ago

fractured social comp ? explain ?

Reply #432930 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Club "trials" have been discussed in previous posts. I have a cynical approach to trials. Some people carry on like teams are selected based on trials with coaches pushing names around like X Factor. I have yet to see evidence to support that. A kid is hardly going to stroll in one Sunday morning and slip straight into a Div 1 team based on 45 mins.

They really should be called "sign on days" or something. Essentially that's all they are. They give a club a chance to work out how many kids are going to play in the upcoming season.

If clubs are doing the right thing, then most players will want to play next season so the club knows they are going to signup. Clubs also know how many coaches and teams they can organise and manage so they will know how many kids they are looking for.

If clubs are not doing the right thing, then kids will leave and they really do need trials!

Reply #432932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fractured social club competitions, compare lets say local soccer, local football and local netball competitions.

All have elite competitions but they have local competitions are run in club situations where juniors can learn and develop through gradings before either being invited or trialling to play elite competitions and even the elite competitions have more than one grade.

Basketball does not have local competitions run in club situations in the same manner yes competitions exist but to gain better skills, understanding of the game technicalities and competition you really have to play districts.

That is what I mean by fractured competitions.

Reply #432933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball does have that. In every state other than SA.

Reply #432938 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

@ jack

Saw this happen this week at tigers. U12 player walking straight into div 1. Country kid moved to city.

It does happen...

And reflecting on the way distant past. Knew one player playing at the old southern district who tried out at a club and slid right into u14 div 1 and one the club MVP.

Granted these may be isolated examples.

Reply #432939 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@ Wayne, I expect both those kids were known to the coach.

Reply #432940 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think they're a joke, but then again I remember a long time ago (probably hasn't changed much since though) I MVP'd Div 3, did trials, got put into div 5, played three weeks of joke games scoring 30+ points until I settled into Div 1 - scoring above 30 first two games and finished MVP that season.

Another season - after trials the players in my team got dumped to a lower div and the players of the div below us put up to our previous div. Needless to say, they finished dead last and we finished top.

I eventually learnt to stop going to trials saying I was sick/injured or away - and it did me wonders!

Depending on the coaches, trials with a mass amount of players won't do much good, and worst case politics gets involved big time.

Reply #432943 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

The former being a kid I coached and the latter being me
I can categorically say that both were complete unknowns.

Going one step further I would suggest the southern clubs could do a lot worse than looking at the victor harbor league as a whole.

A lot of untapped talent.

For example one team with two southern div 1 players being beaten by 80 pts.

Lots and lots of kids who would easily be very good div 1 city players.

So so many kids who would travel if their parents were given a tapon the shoulder and a 'have you considered city Bball for your child?"

Reply #432945 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A few different questions here anon', I am unsure of exactly how the local competitions are run in S.A., I can only comment on how some are doing it here in Victoria.

Here clubs can be individually run and Association based or controlled under the Association if the club structure isn't as strong.

A club may be quite well run, similar to a football club, therefore having a head coach and several coaches already in place.

They may hold trials just to determine who plays Div1, however these are oftem subjective to a point, so I see it now as just a habit clubs here have formed.

Not all clubs do this, however those who don't will still want to recruit players so this may occur during a camp or training days which are similar but not really trials.

Then there is the representative programs, each Association may want to submit teams into the VJBL and play at a higher level than local domestic.

New set of coaches, run by the Association itself and usually a little better coordinated, however still some level of subjectivity, can't help it as coaches know players and always have most of the team picked beforehand.

Are they a waste of time, well it's not a waste of time for that kid who has to bust a gut to make the team and fill the last spot on the roster, maybe it is for the rest?

If your system in S.A. relies solely on clubs, not an Associaion or higher controlling body, then I get the lack of structure and a perception of confusion, and yes kids will leave the sport, sad but it happens...

Reply #432960 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Bear,

In South Australia, the central body operates all stadiums, and runs all competitions.

Hence clubs have no real domestic competition.

Our 'clubs' are the equivalent of Association teams for the larger, better run clubs. These teams often do well against Vic Association teams.

Other 'clubs' are not so well run and would be equivalent of Vic club teams. Not even having teams in all grades.

Reply #432974 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay Triton, so it seems to be the opposite of how I believed it was, cheers.

In that case, if your controlling body is not really well organised you are not going to have that secondary back up from the clubs, necessarily.

To pick up the pieces when things don't quite work out, I mean...

Reply #432975 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Yes, and it makes it financially hard for clubs to employ any staff to do the organising. So it ends up being largely organised and run by volunteers.

Reply #432980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it should mean that BSA are cashed up though?

Reply #432983 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Or, that they are over staffed and that money is unproductive in increasing feeder competitions, and that participants are poorly serviced as the clubs that service them are poor and the state body have no real contact with them.

Reply #432985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA should be helping employ DOs/ Ops Mgrs in the stadiums to help the local clubs grow and ensure a high standard of professional business/ basketball experience is achieved to keep people in the sport!!!

Reply #432989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so all stadiums are owned by BSA?

how many stadiums are there? Is it one club per stadium?

Reply #432990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not owned by BSA, RUN by BSA. Poorly.

Reply #432993 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

BSA run

Wayville (3 courts) - Forestville
Pasadena (3 courts)- Sturt
Hillcrest (3 courts) - North
Marion (2 courts)- South
Morphetvale (4 courts) - Southern
Port Adelaide (3 courts) - West

Mars (3 courts) - Norwood - Run by Life Be n It
St Clair (3 courts) - Woodville - Run by SACRA
Mt Barker (2 courts) - Eastern - Run by local council
Starplex (4 courts) - Centrals - Run by local council

Reply #433000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St Clair (3 courts) - Woodville - Run by CASA
Mt Barker (2 courts) - Eastern - Run by YMCA
Starplex (4 courts) - Centrals - Run by Trinity College

Reply #433003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a lot of smaller 2/3 court stadiums

Reply #433005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so BSA run the stadium meaning they employ staff/ organise comps?

Reply #433006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct

Clubs just hire courts for training and sometimes have access to running a Canteen and possibly a Clubrooms/Bar depending on the quality of the venue they get access to.

Reply #433009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Some interesting responses but then comes the crunch what is the right depth a club should try to carry to cater for the 2 year age groups do you say each club should try for the following;

1 x Div1 Good Second years and exceptional 1st Years
1 x Div2 Good Second years and Good 1st Years
1 x Div3 OK Second years and Good 1st Years
1 x Div4 OK Second years and OK 1st Years

I know this is a little subjective but sure this mix would be the minimum any club should look to try and administer for all age groups roughly 3-34 reasonable players from a location would not be too hard to find. This is a minimum and only my point of view.

Reply #433010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry should read roughly 30-34 reasonable players

Reply #433013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

until players get sick or injured or go on holidays or just quit ....

Reply #433051 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I coach in Vic and our club has different objectives for tryouts depending on the age group.

In U12's & we try to have as many teams as possible for the rep program so basically if you turn up, you're going to make a team. The idea is to get as many kids in early as you never know who's going to be making up your senior program 10 years laters.

As the kids progress through the age groups there tends to be a bit of a thinning out process and by U18's our club will usually have 2/3 teams depending on the number of kids and talent level.

Often the coaches will be new to the age group and not have a clear idea of where the kids are at so the process isn't as cut and dry and many people make it out to be. Although some coaches do already have a list in mind, you'd not be doing your job if you didn't consider others out side that list.

The process we've used and found quite successful is to seperate the kids into 3 groups. The top 8-12 kids, the bottom 8-12 kids and the rest in the middle. This middle group is always the hardest to sort into final teams as there's usually not much between them.

What many players/parents often don't realise is that you're not (espeically in the older age groups) just picking the 10 best kids, you're picking the best TEAM based on the available players. For instance, if you have a team of 7 guards and 2 forwards and in deciding the last spot comes down to picking the an 8th guard or a 3rd forward who isn't as skilled as the guard, you're probably going to take the forward as the team needs to be balanced.

In summary the objective of tryouts should be to put kids into a team where they can develop and to try and have balance in the teams selected.

Reply #433052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the time your div 2 team will need to be 1st yrs capable of playing div 1 the yr after. Put 1st yrs in div 1 ar u16 or u18 level and they get disheartened.

Reply #433056 | Report this post

the fan  
Years ago

make sure you have the quality coaches to meet the demand - otherwise expect some pain

Reply #433064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know why SBC is not being used for finals?

Reply #433068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know why the State Basketball Centre is not being used for VJBL finals?

Reply #433085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a shame a purpose built facility is two expensive to be used for its purpose? Seems illogical.

Reply #433098 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anons, where have you read that finals for the VJBL are being played at any particular stadiums? Some divisions are not yet into finals, but I have noticed others are playing games at venues just like they have been during the regular season...

Interesting!

Reply #433100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Victorians dumb as well as arrogant? What has where finals being held in Vic got anything to do with trials?

Reply #433104 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Maybe posting on the wrong thread anon', so a mistake, rather than arrogance perhaps?

Reply #433107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the etiquette for when you choose to trial at different clubs?

Do you put in your intent to play to secure your current place and forgot the $50 if you make it in the other club

Reply #433202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who charges $50

Reply #433217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who charges $50

Reply #433218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most clubs have a deposit intent to play fee of $50 which comes off fees. Forestville had it as non refundable but saw they changed it on the site pretty quick after comment appeared on here.

Reply #433219 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Ahhhh- The Power of "Hoops"

Reply #433226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They removed it because the Trials were on the 11th.

Nothing to do with hoops. Club's charge $50 to ensure they get some return for wasting time and effort and allocating a spot in a squad/team to players whom are playing clubs off each other.

SA should introduce the VJBL rule whereby players have to complete a request form to trial at another club.

Reply #433243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would there really be that many kids trialing at more than one club?

Reply #433258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would imagine that there would be a few. Parents seem to get annoyed when their kid gets dropped to lower divisions and they seem to think the grass will be greener elsewhere.

Reply #433261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or some parents moved to other clubs because the clubs closer to home chooses not to include that player in a squad or did not have a team available at the time.
When the opportunity comes to trial again with the local club and you spend 1.5hrs going through their drills only to be told at the end sorry we are only putting in 3 teams per age division thanks for paying if you dont make it be sure to play in our development spots and our social teams.

Reply #433274 | Report this post

w  
Years ago

Just go elsewhere - they have had your offer

Reply #433281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturts model with their social comp is that the only club in SA district doin it?

Reply #433290 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754