Isaac
Years ago

NBA Referees question

I've had someone email me a couple of questions. Can anyone help?

---

What is that pager looking device NBA and WNBA referees carry hooked on their waist band or belt? Second dumb question, I just got into basketball a year ago, never cared for the sport until then, how does one get into the field of officiating games, and how many years refereeing, does one have to have under their belt before they can apply to the NBA or WNBA? Thanks again.

Tony

---

I suspect that someone here could at least help with the first question.

Topic #3243 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Radio microphone battery pack I would suggest is what is on their waist.

Allows for the "lets listen to what the ref said" during TV broadcast...same as what the contestants on big brother wear if you are in to that.

Reply #37424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure that apply it the right word i believe 'invited' would be the right terminology.

Carolyn Gillespe was invited to ref in the WNBA and when she did she had been umpiring in aust for 10 years? and had been doing SEABL/CBA WNBL and had attended FIBA junior championships in Brazil

so an awful lot of games and experience before you even get a look in.

Reply #37436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am pretty sure the thing on there waist does a couple things.

First, they can stop the clock with it i think.

But i know for a fact they have something that vibrates when the shot clock and time clock expire which allows them to keep there eyes on the game, and can feel when the time expires.

Reply #37516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754