Anonymous
Years ago

Perth Wildcat Owners bold prediction

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8708832

There'll be no such thing as a honeymoon period for new Wildcats NBL coach Trevor Gleeson.

Wildcats owner Jack Bendat is demanding nothing less than the championship this season, especially after the club managed to secure Miami Heat swingman James Ennis as their import on a loan deal.

Ennis was snared with pick No.50 in the 2013 draft by the Atlanta Hawks, but was traded to the title-winning Heat just hours later.

However, with the Heat already boasting a star-studded roster, the 200cm powerhouse was encouraged to pursue a loan deal overseas in a bid to fast-track his game.

The Wildcats jumped at the chance to get him, but Ennis could be called back by the Heat at any point.

Perth are hopeful he'll stay the full season, and Bendat wants the star 23-year-old to lift the Wildcats to their sixth championship.

"I'm a firm believer of we must come in first in whatever we do," Bendat said.

"Last year we came close to it.

"I asked chief executive Nick Marvin and Trevor Gleeson to go to America and find me one or two players who are going to give us a Championship.

"I'm happy to report that they've found a champion player from the Miami Heat.

"It's going to make a difference for us. We're going to win a Championship, and we're going to be the best in Australia."

Ennis is renowned for his aerial ability, and hopes to bring an exciting brand of basketball to the NBL.

And he's already bought into Bendat's mission.

"I'll get this team the championship this year. That's the main goal," Ennis said.

Gleeson was appointed Wildcats coach in June after Rob Beveridge quit the post in order to further his career overseas.

The Wildcats won the 2010 championship under Beveridge, but lost last season's title decider to NZ, who will be aiming for four straight titles this year.

I dont think they are favourites to win the title but i would place them in the final four teams. I think Adelaide and NZ have a better squad of players. Lisch is a huge loss and Ennis looks good on paper but he is unproven in pro ball. Alot of great college kids struggle so he is a wait and see for me!

Anyone to disagree?

Topic #32436 | Report this topic

Mr Johnny Eade  
Years ago

I now dislike Perth even more that before, i didnt think that was a possibility.

Reply #433156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendat is a old guy, a cocky guy. and when you look at what he has accomplished fair enough.
He just has a winners attitude. theres nothing wrong with that. Im quite sure the players and staff dont think they are going to get the next championship that easy.
If you watch the presser of Ennis you will see its just Bendats words.
But if that is enough for you to hate Perth even more then go for it :)

Reply #433159 | Report this post

Anti Eade  
Years ago

I see your reaction Eade.
Must be hard to know that the cats set high standards and ultimitly always are at the pointy end of the ladder. easy to hate on them but hard to not respect them !

Reply #433161 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I love senile old men with money and a voice for all to hear! Going to be a fun season, things have evened up alot amongst the top teams.

Reply #433168 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

JAck Bendat makes that prediction every season ;)

Reply #433169 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

correct silencer, he says this EVERY season

Reply #433170 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well, there's the gauntlet, Gleeson, time to sink or swim...

The betting agencies have you as favourites, you have the star power and the home court to do it on.

Reply #433171 | Report this post

EmDee  
Years ago

And possibly looking at Drake U'u as the second import.....doesn't look to be a superstar but gives them good size at the two spot.

Reply #433184 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Bendat is always good for a "we will win because we must win" type quote. He has been doing it since the season we actually did win:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wildermuth/100302_Bendat.wmv

Reply #433195 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Win the title, we must" would seem like a more apt quote from him.

Reply #433207 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

U'u is actually being looked at as a local to replace Muo. His mother is Australian.

Reply #433228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good team, not the same depth but great starting five:

Knight/Jervis
Redhage/Wagstaff
Ennis/Hire
Import/U'u
Martin/Burdon

Reply #433230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who U'u?

Reply #433284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know much about U'u but it's in the west Australian that he is coming to Perth for a trial. He has an Australian mother and the wildcats are looking to play him as a local

Reply #433307 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754