Isaac
Years ago

Sixers 0-3 in China, but Wright not fazed

Despite losing 64-89 to Lithuanian Eurocup team Prienai Tonybet, 75-83 to Utah Valley University and 92-96 to Chinese Basketball Association outfit Dongguan New Century Leopards, Wright was happy with the tour's positives.
Coach Joey Wright said Frye had the versatility to play at the "one, two or three" - point guard, off-guard, small forward roles - and would create off the dribble.

"He's exactly what I expected," said Wright, who coached Frye in the Sixers's three-game trip to Shenzhen City.
"Jarrid creates off the dribble and he can finish at the rim," Wright said.

"He doesn't just finish with dunks - he has finesse moves as well.

"And he passes extremely well and has a very high basketball IQ."
Full story

The details:

- shortened tournament I think
- Wright was happy with Frye
- Ervin didn't make it due to flight complications
- Creek nervous back on court, but did well
- no beef with Cadee after he left the Blaze
- Johnson averaged 20ish/game
- Schenscher played his role well

Really is worth reading the article in full before jumping in with comments, I think.

Topic #32437 | Report this topic

Nino  
Years ago

Teams going to be legit. Frye by some reports is very smooth on court Darnell Mee like.

Anyone who is going to make any sort of negative judgement on a 36er team missing Gibson, Ervin and Petrie hasnt got a valid point and is simply trolling.

Good things ahead.

Reply #433166 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

To lose only by that amount with a team at half strength, that was quite a good road trip.

Good to see that Creek and Cadee managed to get extended court time. I still would have liked to have Creek start at some point and get a good 25 minutes in a game. Hopefully Wright can take Creek to the next level.

Reply #433167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First result was a bit of a blow-out but the second two don't sound like much.

I haven't really considered Frye yet as anything but a bonus. However, if he's good, the 36ers are going to have more options than minutes for everyone.

Reply #433172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait til preseason ,when everyone is together.If Fryre can handle NBL teams then he might be our next Darnell Mee.Hope that may be the case.

Reply #433173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad effort considering who was not playing.

Cant wait to see Frye in action, sounds like he could be a real pleasant surprise for the fans. Not sure how strong the league is, but when he signed i watch a game with him playing in Macedonia (i think), and he played as Wright described him and was one of the best on the court. Anyone know how strong the league is NZ level? If his game translates well to the NBL i think he will be a good 'do it all' swing man like Dave Thomas, maybe not as good but that mould.

If we can get 10 pts, 5 rebounds, 3-5 assists per game from him ill be happy, aswell as the athleticism that he will bring, something the team really lacked last year especially when Creek went down.

Reply #433174 | Report this post

the fan  
Years ago

isnt there a nz player to be added ?

Reply #433175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Missing from the China tour were Gibson, Petrie and Anthony (NZ NBL player). Also, Ervin. So three potential starters.

Reply #433177 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall that Monday (26th) ALL will be here for training.

Reply #433178 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

BJ Anthony is in great shape playing some decent basketball, he'll be a great asset for the Sixers bench this season.

Reply #433182 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good to see Frye on Ch9 news : " A new 36ers Import with a licence to thrill."
Pretty to watch after several seasons in hell.

Reply #433183 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Anthony looks pretty handy to have . A big unit.
Daniel Johnson a smooth operator that doesn't like the hard stuff.

Reply #433185 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

DJ is a frustrating operator that has never seen a shot he didnt like, yet has seen many people wish he wouldnt take. I have a feeling he will be used more as aoffensive decoy this season, as 'the man' status the 36ers have previously had to rely on him for before this season influx of great talent.

Reply #433187 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good to see Ch2 news at the airport for the 36ers
although i'm really not sure what Joey said to them
he mumbles his words.

Reply #433188 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Frye landed in Australia for the first time, played in 5 countries
Didn't look like they could guard him in China, too fast, and
he jumped over the top of them and dunked it.

Reply #433223 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

As people have said, positive results from a half strength line up.

I really feel like we're in for one hell of a season.

Reply #433245 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

At least Joey called things as he saw them in what seems to have been a poorly organised trip.
No mention of a 3 Year plan thankfully.
Good luck to him.

Reply #433246 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Al sounds very promising for a good season ahead. Got better seats this year and can't wait for tip off!

Reply #433254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Lithuanian club does not play in the Eurocup.

Reply #433475 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Really doesnt mean anything in the context of the season. Im not fazed about results like this. Plus given the results of the last 3 years, who would

Reply #433762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was talking to Joey at a Club Saturday night he is not fazed at all, very happy he seemed.

Reply #433766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"That Lithuanian club does not play in the Eurocup."

The club is Prienai (also known as Rudupis), they played in Eurocup last season but lost the 3rd place playoff in the Lithuanian league to Neptunas, missing Eurocup qualification for 2013/14.

Reply #433770 | Report this post

Arizona 14  
Years ago

Joey in the club!

Reply #433772 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754