Perth Wildcats 3.50
New Zealand Breakers 4.00
Melbourne Tigers 5.00
Adelaide 36ers 7.00
Wollongong Hawks 9.00
Cairns Taipans 13.00
Sydney Kings 14.00
Townsville Crocodiles 21.00
Look about right? I think I'd have Adelaide ahead of Melbourne.

Topic #32438 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Sportsbet has:
Perth Wildcats 3.00
New Zealand Breakers 4.00
Melbourne Tigers 6.00
Wollongong Hawks 8.00
Adelaide 36ers 10.00
Cairns Taipans 13.00
Sydney Kings 15.00
Townsville Crocodiles 21.00

===

Personally, I think the Centrebet ones are a little closer to the money.

Reply #433176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Perth will go that we'll this year

Reply #433179 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

My top 8

Perth
Adelaide
NZ
Melbourne

Cairns
Sydney
Wollongong
Townsville

Reply #433180 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Id have sydney as the spoon favourites...they are looking awful. I think you will see adelaide massively underachieve again too, but it looks like thats what the bookies are thinking too . And perth as favourites? Please...

Townsville are so bad at the 5 position its not funny but id rate them ahead of sydney at least...

Reply #433189 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Fwiw im going to go against the grain and say you will see something more like:

NZ
Adelaide
Perth
Wollongong
Cairns
Melbourne
Townsville
Sydney

Reply #433191 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cairns are looking like good value to me. If their second import is a contributor they have a very nice team.

Reply #433192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it strange that like it was said above, the bookies are counting on Adelaide falling short of where they should be again. On talent, surely they would almost be favourites at least with Perth and NZ. Not disagreeing, however if that's the case then Melbourne should be seen the same way.

Reply #433194 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I have no faith in Anstey as a coach either. Melbourne will under achieve.

Reply #433200 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth don't seem to have a particularly strong bench, but they do have top-tier players in Martin, Redhage, Knight and probably Ennis. Plus likely to have existing chemistry even if the coach has changed.

NZ are a lot deeper bringing potentially Bruton, Webster, Lazare off the bench, and Te Rangi looked good against the Boomers. Coaching change won't impact them, I don't think.

Adelaide need to prove themselves before anyone will believe in them, but certainly seem decent on paper and the bench is one of the best. Roster has upgraded and I think Joey would struggle to do worse than Marty. Top four or it's a fail, you'd think.

Crocs and Kings I can't see being contenders unless an import is outstanding. I'm sure Ogilvy will get his numbers.

Melbourne have some decent pieces in Worthington and Goulding, but not keen to predict anything until we see the imports play.

Cairns are hard to call. Should be around the mark at least.

I suspect and hope Clarke will be MVP-calibre for the Hawks, and they have most of a core returning under the same exceptional coach. But I reckon unless they get a rebounding import to replace Sav, that will compromise their strength a lot.

All that said, Perth and NZ are already pretty short. I think Melbourne would be a wasted bet, but then again Wortho and Goulding could will them through. Adelaide are probably the longer odds team I think have a real shot.

Reply #433201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$10 is very tasty for a 36ers championship. Can't see them finishing outside the Top 2 this season with NZ.

With Martin's snapped Achilles and a very light bench think the Wildcats might make the playoffs but not a title contender.

Reply #433215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth is perth, they get the odds with what they have done in the past history. They will be there come the end of the year. Just love all the hate already for the cats! Weak bench? No 1 has seen them play yet, so just see the 1st couple ove rounds 1st!

Reply #433221 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Considering our bench last year was Bartlett, Carter/Robbins, Tovey, Wagstaff and Trueman, its extra funny to be calling the bench weak when its going to be Burdon, U'u/Daly, Hire, Wagstaff and Jervis.

Reply #433227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year's bench was definitely deeper. You list a couple of the best defenders in the comp like they can't play.

Reply #433229 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

All I'm saying is that on paper the depth doesn't change that much. There are some unknowns but considering we got almost zero offensive input from Robbins and Tovey, and have upgraded with some more scorers this year, it all comes down how well the guys play together which is exactly what worked for them 90% of the time last year.

Reply #433231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough. Whereas you knew exactly what to expect from the previous bench there are question marks this year, but maybe the new players will have answers!

Reply #433237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth definitely on paper appear to be a better shooting team than last year but the defence will likely drop slightly.
At the end of the day who knows until the start of the season!

Reply #433238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference on the bench is this year there are only two players who are proven at NBL level. Could be some growing pains, might not be up to it, or might make the transition without a hitch. As anon above said only the season will tell us.

Reply #433239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Situation, I think it's that series of unknowns that make it fair to wonder about the strength of the bench. If Daly gets a gig, he's going to be there with more NBL experience than Burdon and Jervis. Regardless, it's not like (m)any are suggesting Perth won't be up there.

Who are people projecting as Perth's starters? Martin, Ennis, Hire, Redhage, Knight? Or Martin, import, Ennis, Redhage, Knight?

On bench strength, Adelaide have Teys, Cadee, Creek, Petrie, Anthony. Two of those played in the AU-NZ series, and another two would be in the young Boomers ranks. 3-4 of those guys have started or could start.

Depending on who they start, NZ could have Webster, Bruton, Te Rangi, Lazare, Trueman off the bench. Three of those guys are starting calibre. Another is somewhat proven and Te Rangi seems to be coming along.

Reply #433244 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

is Martin able to play this season? he did his Achilles in April this year and considering it is a 9-12 month recovery....any Perth fans know anything different?

Reply #433248 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I can't wait for TeRangi to play some minutes and get his confidence up and see what he can really do.
His ball handling skills looked decent against the Boomers and he didn't make many rash decisions that cost the team.

Reply #433249 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I believe he is running, hasn't started full on training yet, but the last update said there was no reason to believe he would miss any part of the season.

Reply #433252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say:

NZ
Perth
Wollongong
Cairns

with Adelaide and Melbourne just missing out.

Reply #433256 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

I hope this topic gets printed out and pinned to the Mens changeroom wall in the Adelaide /scouts/ Maher /Arena
.....about 7ft up that wall LOL

Reply #433260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Perth fans the Bevo/Dennis combo is gone and now you've got Gleeson.

Reply #433264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean the coach that took Townsville to 5 successive finals series including a regular season finish of 2nd in his final season at Townsville?

Reply #433266 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

...with a much less talented roster?

Reply #433276 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

nothing wrong with Trevor Gleeson as a Coach, he did well with Townsville and was then given a hospital pass with the Melbourne Tigers.

Reply #433278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, wrong time to come in at Melbourne with McPeake imploding. Tough gig.

Reply #433279 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"then given a hospital pass with the Melbourne Tigers."

hahahaha brilliant description.

Reply #433280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea agreed, always thought Gleeson was a good coach, generally over acheived with the Crocs imo.

Tigers was just a mess, most not his fault, a tough gig wen Seamus goes nuts, sacks your import, the Mills/Corletto saga, not really his fault. Then he seemed to get bagged for demanding Trigger to grab a few rebounds and benching him for it, well not getting rebounds, was it really too much to expect a 6'10 guy to be one of the team leaders in rebounds? I personally thought he got a rough deal at the Tigers, probably wasnt perfect, but still a decent coach imo.

Reply #433287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just sayin, Bevo coached the Wildcats to a title and three GF's all up in his four years as coach where as Gleeson has never made it to a GF.

He did do well to make back to back SF's with those Crocs teams though, he clearly wasn't getting much help from his assistant (Woolpert)!

Reply #433288 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Just sayin, Bevo coached the Wildcats to a title and three GF's all up in his four years as coach where as Gleeson has never made it to a GF."

With the talent and cash at his disposal at Townsville, he did very very well.
Look at the rosters of the teams that finished ahead of him.

Reply #433289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, Crocs were not a big spending team, still had a decent roster, but i think he usually got them ahead of where i would have picked them at the start of the season.

Reply #433292 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I wrote off most of his teams, yet they were around the mark at the seasons end.
It was really only bench depth that really hurt him.

Reply #433319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin/Burdon
Import/U'u
Ennis/Hire
Redhage/Wagstaff
Knight/Jervis

Looks pretty good to me.

Reply #433325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did do well to make back to back SF's with those Crocs teams though, he clearly wasn't getting much help from his assistant (Woolpert)!
------------------------------------

His assistant took them straight the semi finals too.

Reply #433335 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

NZ
Sydney
Perth
Wollongong
Cairns
Adelaide
Melbourne
Townsville

Reply #433342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also have Sydney 2nd... 2nd last.

Reply #433349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754