ShutUp!!
Years ago

Advertiser - Classics Item

Reading the advertiser, it was mentioned that the last SA Teams to win at the classics were Woodville U18 Boys in 1999 and Sturt U14 Girls the same year.
As I don't know either of those age groups or clubs that well,
would that Woodville team be contributing a few players to their current ABL side (Wilson Fuller?), and have any of the Sturt girls graduated up to ABL Level (Bowley, Marino?)

Topic #3244 | Report this topic

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Fuller, Baggott, Graves and Ng were all firts years, Jason Bray coach. It was an outstanding effort. The next with high expectations (if memory correct)they missed top four.

Reply #37426 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

"first years"

Reply #37427 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I smell double-post stats pading.

Reply #37429 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I mean "padding"

Reply #37430 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

That's right Satish i have Yogee and Libertine in my sites, give me a week

Reply #37433 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

sorry "sights"

Reply #37435 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Bizzy would be proud

Reply #37437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually the article does say that SA teams have never won the Under 12's. That is not entirely true. Jacon Holmes, David Shepherd, Drew Williamson, Nic Campbell etc won the very first Under 12 Classics with Jason Williams coaching and in the same year Laura Summerton, Caroline Nixon and Monique and Hannah Bowley won the Under 12 Girls. This was in 1994. Not sure why it is not listed in the Previous Results for the tournament.

Reply #37438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 1994 U12/14 Classic wasn't considered an official Classic, more just a tournament. That's why BV don't list it in their past winners.

Reply #37463 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

If I remeber correctly as 2nd years they made Top 4, went 1-2 in the pool but ended up in 2nd.

North 18 boys made the final in 2002.

Reply #37482 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

1999 Woodville team was the best the club has ever had. I wasnt aware of Fuller playing in the team..?

This year for u18 i can't see any of the SA teams getting in the top 4. Forestville and West would be the highest finishers, Woodville could make top 8 with a solid consistant performance as for other teams i would think bottom 8.

Reply #37488 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

sturt under 18 boys have won in the past too. not sure of the year i think it was about 1995 with leigh carlson, sam neylon, jared wilson etc. Scott butler coaching.

Reply #37492 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

the 2002 north team

Starting five (from memory)
PG R.Kersten
SG E.Burdon
SF L.Mapunda
PF B.Kies
C T.Zorich

Alot of talent...

Reply #37495 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Libertine you may well be right, i stopped following their progress at 1-2. I did watch one of their pool games that year against Weribee and witnessed one of the the greatest individual battles i have ever seen at junior level between Darren Ng and Lee Jeka. Pull up j's going down from everywhere. Weribee won a tight game

Reply #37499 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Stella. I'm pretty sure I saw the same game. Me and the rest of the team were just like wow.

Reply #37512 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754