Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane likely to be back in 2014/15!

Great to hear!

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/brisbane-back-with-a-bullet-next-year-20130820-2s8f0.html

Topic #32441 | Report this topic

sitiveni  
Years ago

I haven't heard anything on the ground up here, but I hope its true and as ive always said to every bid team that my company would be happy to get on board in a sponsorship scenario rather then ownership.

Reply #433232 | Report this post

Mi mas 84  
Years ago

Being reported on various radio stations in Brisbane. Hope its all a go and can be a prelude to the league being relevant again.

With the new lowered financial guarantee maybe we can see some more "regional" teams like Hobart, Geelong, Newcastle etc like the good old days.

An association with the NBA as a sort of DLeague would really help as well(some one some where mentioned this?)

Also hope they are called the Bullets and not some fancypants WNBA or Aleagueish name like the Spirit or Heart???....

Reply #433236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sitiveni, maybe you can contact Dunn and pledge sponsorship support.

Reply #433241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that if you are serious Sitiveni, you should contact Steve Dunn and offer support.

Email: [email protected]

Reply #433242 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

a lot of great news coming from the NBL lately.

Reply #433247 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

More teams the better!! Just want the nbl to go back like it waz in the 90's! Just need a more even comp!

Reply #433250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, great news for Brisbane and the NBL. The NBL really could not continue to survive on an 8 team basis. I hope Leroy Loggins is involved in some capacity. He is still the face of basketball in this town and would be great to see his jersey hanging from the rafters again.

Reply #433257 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Isaac and other douche, I don't need to do anything you say. the NBL have my details as ive been involved with the last couple of bids. If it really is up then a CEO or general manager should b announced soon and I will contact them directly. Never spoke to Steve Dunn before and no idea who he is. Maybe Chuck should pass on all contacts he has had with past Brisbane bids. Anyone know where Michael Brierley is these days, I have tried to get in touch with him along with a sports management group and neither them or I can track him down.

Reply #433263 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

If you are dealing with Chuck you need to know he has nothing to do with the NBL, if you dont know who Steve Dunn is then that probably says all anyone needs to know about your "bid"

Reply #433265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL said the same thing 4 years ago.. melb and bris teams coming! I am holding my breathe on this one!

would be great to see but will weaken the NBL talent pool. Kids who are 17/18 should be working there asses off because plenty of jobs will be available.

Reply #433267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sitiveni, I was just pointing you towards the right person. Not sure where the aggro has come from.

Dunn is heading up the Kings and spokesman for the new NBL. Anon posted his email so that you can approach the new NBL if you're serious about helping. No harm in suggesting it.

Reply #433271 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Muzz when did I say I was dealing with Chuck, I said he has my contact details. chuck has always passed my details to whoever has been heading the bid teams who have then contacted me. I just got told that Dunn is the new interim CEO, don't know how long he has been in that role as I said never spoken to the guy before, so chuck is no longer the manager of operations with nbl.

Reply #433272 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Cheers Isaac, sponsorship has been a big part of our business, I would personally sponsor even if I didn't get a single $1 return because it gives me something else, a love of sport, supporting sport I have passion for and that hospitality fun. I just had a corporate facility out at the Ipswich 360 v8 supercars and had our signage all over 2 race cars. had a fantastic time taking clients, business associates etc.

Reply #433273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sitiveni, it is me (the douche), no idea where the Argo is coming from either.

I was merely suggesting an email address of the person to contact, if you are interested in helping.

Reply #433282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on the sponsors I say!

Reply #433283 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It might not be in Chuck's core interest now to pass on details of past potential sponsors to a new NBL, separated from BA. Easy for him to forget.

Reply #433293 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Is it great though?

Does the NBL really need another team that will be playing to empty arenas?

I hope they can make it work but I just don't see the Brisbane public getting behind this.

Memories of crickets chirping and tumbleweeds blowing through the stands in that championship season when they had one of the all-time great NBL rosters are all too fresh for me. If they didn't want to watch that amazing team play then God help an expansion roster...

Reply #433296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope those Channel 10 shares are doing well sitiveni.
People try to assist you and all you do is berate them. Chuck has nothing to do with the new NBL. So why would he pass on your details.

Reply #433300 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Sitiveni... "The sea was rough that day my friends!"

Reply #433314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to named Bullets.

Reply #433317 | Report this post

LeBron Loggins  
Years ago

Bring back the Brisbane Bullets!

Reply #433327 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I'm a Brisbane resident and would like nothing more than an NBL presence in the city again.

I'm really surprised this news piece was released though, which seemed to guarantee a team for 14/15. As far as I know there is still no solid financial backing, no management group and no set venue.

Dropping the bank guarantee to 50k won't make a big difference, as a fair bit of cash will still need to go to salaries, venue hire and marketing.

There is a market for a Brisbane team, and I believe it would be well supported given the right circumstances. Scheduling very important - I know it doesn't happen much now, but no midweek games or Sunday evening games, they killed the team in terms of poor attendance before busting.

Venue the other important factor. Tennyson has been mooted as the favoured venue, but no parking is a killer. Convention Centre would be best, but very expensive in terms of hire.

I hope for the best, but don't jump the gun yet people.

Reply #433333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, no one went to watch the Bullets back then because they spent all their money on players and none on marketing the game to let people know it was on.

Reply #433334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this sitiveni clown for real? The more he posts the more certain I am that he is in some sort of fantasy land.

Makes for a good laugh though.

Reply #433336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey spent Eddie's banks money. Let's hope that he doesnt do to the Sixers what he did to the Bullets.

Reply #433345 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Sitiveni: Whats your company name?

I hope your business dealings dont run as hot as the polite people here offering you information on how to get in touch with the NBL now that chuck is gone.

Isaac and Douche keep up to speed with the NBL and hence the need to get you up to speed.

Lucky for you Brian Kerle is still coaching the Bullets! ;)

Reply #433351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shitiveni sticks it head in here from time to time unfortunately. Ill informed, arrogant and if it truly runs a business heaven help the poor souls that would work for it.

Reply #433353 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Wow boy are we all judgemental and full of knowledge or s-- .
Got friends in Brissie that loved their Bulletts and remember going to some huge games at Bundall with amazing atmosphere before moving into city .
Good luck to any involved and would be huge boost for NBL.

Reply #433370 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

all the douche bags and losers come out again. I love popping on here every now and then to see you all.

Reply #433375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says a lot about yourself doesn't it Shitiveni. Buy Channel 10 you will make a killing.

Reply #433380 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

bretts the man - I had a similar thought. Watching TV games with Boondall full of fans are how I remember the Bullets as well.

Given that level of support - on the scale of what Perth and NZ have now - once existed, it's credible to think it can be regained. Mr bEn and Anon #433334 make good points about what might be needed to achieve that.

Reply #433395 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

hope you made a killing on BBG (Billabong) 17c sold at 56c in just over 2 weeks holding them. not to mention LNC (linc energy), SWM (seven west media). No No you would have bought the old mum and dad favourites CBA, NAB etc I cashed out of those stocks already except for NAB which I trade some options with.

ps. sitiveni was my late father's name I would appreciate it if you showed a little respect and didn't call me what you just did. call me whatever else you like I don't care(doesn't hurt me at all) just don't mock my dads name.

Reply #433396 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Mr bEn, you make some valid and interesting points about how the Brisbane franchise would go and I take it that people in Brisbane certainly have plenty of other things to do during the week and on Sunday arvo...?

I agree, if they were to come back the schedule would be crucial. Friday and Saturday nights I would suspect would be absolute locks.

Also, I would think that marketing, taking into account the existing A-League, AFL and NRL presence alone would be a chalenge that if not done correctly would just kill the franchise within two seasons.

Having said that, I believe basketball is very big, so would juniors get excited by this and are the Associations strong enough to support the concept by getting families to go along a watch the Brisbane Bullets MrkII?

Or, would the new franchise need a totally new facelift to succeed...?

Reply #433399 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The Brisbane SitiveniMPs would be a good name. Playing at the Sitiveni Convention Centre. On Sitiveni Street, overlooking the Sitiveni River.

Reply #433404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I bought CBA. My $10 shares are still doing great. Thanks.!!!

Reply #433406 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Gutted. Been in NZ for a couple of days and missed all the Sitiveni action.

Always good when he comes out to play.

I am very surprised that Sitiveni has anytime to be posting here or attending V8's given his arduous campaign commitments?

How the polls going Sitiveni? You going to wrestle that seat off some bleedin' heart Labor puppet?

Reply #433408 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

@Bear

Re the midweek/Sunday arvo comment, it was just based on factual observation. I assume people didn't attend midweek games because they have work or whatnot the next day and attending an event was not as attractive as it would be on another time. Fairly much a similar line with the Sunday evening games which we also failed to pull crowds.

If Sunday, make it 2 or 3pm. Give regional visitors (eg Toowoomba, Gold/Sunshine Coasts) a chance to get home at a reasonable hour after the game.

Saturday evening is prime. Gives everyone a chance to get to the game at their leisure, and most will have the following day free of work or whatnot. The drawback is that SEQ's major junior competition runs on Saturday arvo/evening, taking away a considerable chunk of target audience. If a team comes to fruition, perhaps BQ could do the sensible thing and have the junior comp start earlier for dates where they may be a clash.

I think marketing is slightly easier these days, given the connectivity to audiences through platforms like Facebook, which are also very cost effective.

Taking back the Bullets name would be best and would help greatly with recognition etc. The management group would need to ensure things are run very well otherwise I can envisage a backlash from the public of 'same old Bullets no wonder they went bust last time' et al. Would be great to have former Bullets players involved also, many still live in the area and this would add genuine punch in selling the team.

I don't think a Brisbane team under another moniker would neccessarily fail. Would just mean more work to get the brand promoted and recognised.

Reply #433446 | Report this post

LeBron Loggins  
Years ago

Can someone please bring back the bullets, I live in Brisbane and refuse to support cairns or townsville

Reply #433448 | Report this post

Curtleyambrose  
Years ago

Lateral violence. Anyone know what that is?

Reply #433482 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Mr bEn, thanks for the comment, I think your are right and BQ should look at their competition structure if the Bullets do return.

By changing to a Friday night or perhaps earlier on Saturday they can support the NBL team by allowing all those kids to at least have an option to go to a Saturday night NBL game...

Reply #433484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754