skull
Years ago

Ubaka a Taipan again?

Cairns Post this morning.

The Cairns Post understands Ubaka, who is now working out in the US, has expressed interest in coming back, and coach Aaron Fearne confirmed he is in discussions with him and other players. "Yeah, I mean that's the type of player we need," the coach said.

If Fearne and co pull this off will it make Cairns a contender??

Topic #32447 | Report this topic

tip  
Years ago

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2013/08/22/247117_local-sport-news.html

Reply #433360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can Fearne lure Ubaka back to Cairns?
Makes it sound like he's tough to get?

Reply #433361 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ubaka would be a nice and safe Import choice, Fearne knows exactly what he's getting.

Reply #433369 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Where would they be looking at playing him? Off the bench as a combo guard?

Reply #433371 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Exactly right, Mick.

I think Cairns needs that second (third if you count Gliddon) offensive threat. Our system is terrible, so you kinda need guys who can break out of the mould and create their own stuff.

I don't necessarily mind a 1-2, to give Bruce a bit of a hand. I don't necessarily trust him.

Reply #433378 | Report this post

Demor74  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer, whats your real name?

Reply #433381 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm hoping Fearne can't lure him back because he would prefer to play for Perth!

Reply #433382 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why does he need to reveal his real name?

Reply #433383 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

He would probably get more court time (and start) in Perth, but it all depends on his relationship with Gleeson after the Melbourne debacle

Reply #433386 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

True, but I don't know if his departure from Melbourne had anything to do with Gleeson.

Reply #433387 | Report this post

fletch  
Years ago

I think its a good pick for cairns. Watching them against the gaels they really needed someone who could create and pass to the outside shooting of Gliddon or Steindl. Fearne knows how to utilise ubaka. Cairns could be playoff contender again.

Reply #433391 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Gleeson told Ubaka after the sacking that he didn't agree with it so I don't think there is any bad blood.

Reply #433392 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Ubaka would certainly change up momentum and find his own shots when needed.
Ubaka,Wilson and Gliddon as the guard rotation would be would be pretty bloody good!!

Reply #433394 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ubaka would be a great addition for taipans imo can play both guard spots and would complement Wilson and Gliddon so would still get plenty of minutes. As a wildcats fan wouldn't mind him playing for us!

Reply #433398 | Report this post

Demor74  
Years ago

He doesnt NEED to, i'm just interested.

Reply #433407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he comes back. He is a great character for our league.

Reply #433437 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

fletch, I'm going as far to say as we are championship contenders if we find the right import. What's best for the team is someone like Ubaka who will initiate the break to get guys like Gliddon, Steindl and Weigh involved more in transition--an area we didn't exploit at all last season. Mainly to do with Wilson's incompetence in running a fast-break. Broken plays are when these guys get their best looks. When we start running transition for shooters, that's when we'll be really really dangerous. My only qualm is interior D.

Reply #433441 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

But honestly, he shit on the club, so not sure if I even want him.

Reply #433442 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yeah,Burston ain't no Crosswhite,is Burston going to help their interior d....if he can stay on the court,probably...if he gets injured we're in trouble.

Reply #433450 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

but as usual, we will be one injury away from last spot.

Reply #433451 | Report this post

Demor74  
Years ago

Who are you statsheet stuffer? You sound like you know alot about what's going on...

Reply #433454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What are the Taipans ins and outs at this point?

Out
Rychart
Hill
Edwards
Grabau
Williams?

In
Burston
Weigh
Young
Bruce
Ubaka or other import

Is that right?

Reply #433458 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

yes

Reply #433476 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On paper, you'd have to call that an upgrade. Rychart and Burston is a wash at worst. Williams and Bruce too. If Young can match Hill's NBL output more or less, Ubaka and Weigh should more than cover Edwards and Grabau missing.

Reply #433495 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

I'd call Bruce an upgrade over Williams, good local guy for sure but had speed and little else. Cairns needs distribution and Bruce will bring more of that.

Reply #433881 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754