ThebigShow
Years ago

Dante Exum NBL bound ??

Anyone heard any whispers about Exum spending the season in the NBL before he nominates the the NBA draft 2014 and not going to collage ? Channel 10 Perth has reported this.

Topic #32455 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

would be great to see!

For his NBA stock would playing NBL hurt it more than College, but i guess if he goes to college he cant enter until 2015, if he plays NBL he can go in 2014 is that right? I guess going in the NBA a year earlier and some playing experience against older NBL players in the meantime and getting paid would be the benefits for him to play NBL than go to college.

Come on Joey/36ers find a way to get him and fit him in!!

Reply #433501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcat?

Reply #433502 | Report this post

Lol  
Years ago

It is thought to benefit his draft position.

Going to college and having a so-so season could drastically drop him from a potential top 3 pick.

Playing in a men's professional league can explain similar uninspiring numbers. ie Rubio.

Reply #433503 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFt_YV9Sqbw

Reply #433504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante Exum: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dante-exum

Reply #433505 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Would be a god move to play NBL....even if he has his struggles he is playing against men...and due to the NBL structure they spend more time training than playing so getting paid whilst working on your game is a good thing!

Reply #433509 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe the thinking is yes, that he could play NBL before a draft.

In the NBL, he would have the advantage of either playing, if his comparative level was good enough that his stock wouldn't drop, or remaining as training bait if he worried that his output might not be enough to convince scouts.

Does he have any NBL affiliation? Hawks have room...

Reply #433510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did look a boy among men during the oceania games. But one way to sort that out is an NBL season of training/bench-play and hitting the gym.

Reply #433520 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

If he became a Wildvat you'd have to think that training with Damien Martin will be of great value to his future prospects.

Does any other team have cap room?

Cecil Exum (Dante's father) was a Geelong Supercats captain if I'm not wrong so it's sad he can't star there

Reply #433522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

learn a couple things from Ennis maybe?
training against Damo would improve anyones game.

Reply #433525 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

There's been all kinds of hilarious, cheeky talk on Twitter that he might be eligible for the Wildcats to pick up as a DP.

Which you have to admit, would be pretty funny.

Reply #433526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if he doesn't go to college why not be a DP in the NBL? He said in an interview that he has nothing planned for the rest of the year in terms of basketball, so being a DP would allow him to spend this time training with and against pros.

Reply #433528 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Points Rating of Exum???

given he has played for Australia would this rule him out. Or to DP players not count to points

Reply #433529 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

DP players don't count as points, but have a number of quirky restrictions, such as playing no more than half of away games, and things like that.

Reply #433530 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Being a DP won't count to his points BUT it means he can't travel to away games unless its at the expense of a rostered player. If he does that and plays more than half the teams away games, he loses his DP eligibility.

Reply #433531 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Remember when I said the 36ers are working on something big? Greater chance of exum being a 36er than a wildcat

Reply #433533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A DP spot would almost be ideal, no pressure to perform, doesnt even have to play, and if he does show he is ready at training throw him out there in home games, fans would love it, could draw more fans to home games, make a nice return on a smallish investment of a DP spot and also wouldnt take up a spot in the points/salary cap so could join any club he wants.

Hope Joey is talking to the Exums it would be great to see him in a 36ers uniform even as a development player.

Reply #433534 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Would be a welcome boost to NBL. If he does join an nbl team would he wait until end of school year? Isn't he in year 12?

Reply #433536 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

You'd think if he is going to be a DP or on an NBL roster it would be with the Tigers...only becuase of the family being here and it is a bit easier to keep an eye on him.

Can't see the value in joining Perth or Adelaide if he has to move from home etc when he could stay in Melbourne live with family etc and get there support in his home town.

Reply #433537 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The value is joining Perth is straight forward - the quantity and quality of development staff, of facilities, extra experience playing in front of big crowds, working with someone who just got drafted in the NBA.

Lotta tick marks.

Reply #433539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends what he is after, lets face it when he goes to the NBA he is going to be far further from Melbourne than Perth or Adelaide, so could be a good chance to get used to it.

If he is after the best resourced/best run club in Australia with a playoff experienced coach and probably one of the biggest coaching staffs in Australia Perth would be a good option.

As a 36ers fan id love to see him in Adelaide, only 50 min flight from Melbourne, Joey Wright a championship coach, can learn from guys like Gibson (Boomer)and Ervin(former MVP).

If i were him id be tempted to go up to the Hawks and work with Geordie (my fav NBL coach), and there new import Clarke, could be one of the better preparations you could get imo.

Im not so sure Melbourne can offer those things, Anstey is the least experienced/rated coach, but seem to be well resourced and run these days and does have the advantage of staying at home for another year.

Is there anything stopping him training at all clubs through out the year, ie a month at each club and fill a DP spot whilst there? He could experience all different clubs/coaches/environments that way.

Anyway would love to see him play NBL this year, would be awesome, and good luck to him what ever he choses to do.

Reply #433540 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Right instead of coming to adelaide where he will be coached by sonmeone that played as a guard for 3 years in the nba

Reply #433542 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

We can all make a case as to why he should play for our favourite team.

Reply #433543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very true, as said it depends what he wants to achieve from playing NBL and who he rates as the best coach/club for his development doesnt it?

Reply #433544 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In Adelaide, there's already competition for minutes. Would be great to see him play here, but if he was a Newley-level talent someone like Creek could lose minutes quickly. The reason I mentioned the Hawks is because they still have vacant spots, and also that they're not Perth!

Reply #433545 | Report this post

The Sitiation  
Years ago

We can all make a case as to why he shouldn't play for Perth ;-)

Reply #433546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He did look a boy among men during the oceania games. But one way to sort that out is an NBL season of training/bench-play and hitting the gym."

Haha yeah right! because NBL training is so rigorous and players have such great physiques

Reply #433550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney is the one club needing a guard right now. Don't think Exum is as good as Creek yet, he will be much better soon.

Reply #433556 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

There are obvious advantages to being a DP in the NBL. At the end of the season he'll still have the option of either entering the 2014 draft or going to college for a year with a view to entering the 2015 draft.

I guess he'd have to weigh up whether joining a college mid-season (after finishing school in Aus in Nov/Dec this year) and then having to play a second season of college because of draft eligibility restrictions is preferable to playing as a DP in the NBL this season and then having the aforementioned two options still open to him (ie. entering 2014 NBA draft or playing college 2014-15)

Reply #433560 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Also to the anon who said Sydney need another guard, really?? Sanders, Carmouche, Harvey, White, Gleeson, Armour/Madgen not enough for you?

Reply #433561 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm glad I wasn't the first person to mention the Kings, as well as being totally biased in their favour, I think they could be a team that would be able to offer him more minutes, even though we've got a bunch of players that COULD play his position, how many of them are Boomers level?

There's points and cap room, even though we'll have 11 players once we get Madge back and Armour is back in his civvies (this can't happen soon enough!). Could play for a worse coach in Hammer (I'm sure many, including some Kings fans, would disagree!)

I agree though that going to Perth would be great value for him, probably more if Bevo was still in charge, but there's no questioning their resources and as said above, training with Damo would be invaluable for him... ANYWHERE but bloody Sixers though! How stacked do you want your damn team?!? lol...

Some coaches are more rigorous in their training, #433550, it's not all like the bludgy days...

Reply #433570 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Every time I read or hear the name Exum, I start smiling and giggling like a 14 year old...

One of my favorite threads of all time: http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/9825-get-your-f2A2Aking-facts-correct/

Reply #433575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a kid! Nowhere near ready to be a no.1 draft pick in the NBA. Go the college rout as a mediocre year in the NBL (which is what he'd have) would kill the hysteria that he is currently riding on. Did not the Oceania series open some of your eyes???

Reply #433578 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the NBL, he could just be used as training bait if he and his coach thought it best not to play him and impact his stock. Do it under the guise of concentrating on his studies. I don't think that would be so easy at college.

Further, if he hasn't even finished year 12 (due to time away from school), is he even eligible for college at this point?

Reply #433581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jez, Kings dont have Madgen for the first 1-2 months of the season. Gleeson is their back-up point guard. Minutes there if Exum is up to it.

Reply #433585 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

@TR - My thoughts also! Best thread ever.

Reply #433735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think of the parties he'll miss by not going to college!

Reply #433742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754