the fan
Years ago

will election results affect basketball in aust ?

wondering if any certain results will affect basketball in australia ?

always talk of doom and gloom and less money for everything - but is there any party that might keep us moving forward ?

Nobody is really pushing my buttons - someone that gets behind our great sport might just get my vote (along with some bigger issues out there)

Topic #32459 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Ed Husic is a huge basketball fan (has a Sydney Kings and Derrick Rose jersey hanging in his office) so him being a minister might be some hope he can have some influence?

Reply #433569 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yes the election results will have an effect. If Labor loses, some of the former MPs and their staff will be looking for jobs and who better than KK to stash some (more) of her mates in a role at BA.

Reply #433572 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's an interesting question. None of the major parties have devoted much time to sport and recreation as most polls don't see it as a major issue.

One would expect that if there were a number of close electorates come the election, some "sweeteners" may be on the table, but the issue is that all sport is fighting for the same bread crumbs.

An outdoor oval complex is also going to be a front runner. It can be AFL, NRL, cricket, dog walkers, softball, baseball, lacrosse etc. A corner of the oval can be concreted for netball, tennis etc etc. A government could spent $5M and keep a large group of people happy.

That same $5M could be used to build a court facility for basketball, indoor soccer, netball, volleyball, badminton, korfball, but a small number of people would be happy.

Governments always want to have a social agenda so their is always a funding pie somewhere.

Reply #433573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Broncos got $3-6m promised ($3m Labor, $6m Coalition) for their facilities. Despite them being majority owned by Murdoch, as though he needs more money. Haven't seen any other sporting-related pitches.

Reply #433580 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Isaac, monies towards Central Coast (A-League), monies to West Sydney region for stadia upgrades (about $12m).

There was also a package for Cricket Australia to run World Cup 2015, but not sure if that was pre-campaign or not.

Reply #433586 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

No one is giving the real answer. Sitiveni will win his Brisbane seat, and he will then fix basketball. He promised it would happen.

Reply #433597 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

I hope everyone is voting for the greens!!

Reply #433611 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Hey Some_fulla I will be, Im not a multinational corporation or mining magnate so the other parties won't be getting my vote. The greens do get an unfair wrap from the Murdoch press in this country.

Isaac I agree, I think these sort of money offers to already rich Professional clubs is pretty pathetic, the funding in sport is needed at the community/local level to allow more inclusion and involvement.

Reply #433718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/new-deal-starts-afl-season-early-and-boosts-cricket/story-fni5f22o-1226703436011

another 10 million for two sports with the funds to look after themselves.

I wonder if any party will provide any funding for legitimate development of sport. Has basketball in this state ever received Federal funding?

Reply #433733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro sports receiving government funding over and over again. Then they use the subsidised facilities to make fat profits. This is corruption.

On a lighter side too bad more politicans don't love our sport :P

Reply #434446 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:11 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754