SamJ
Years ago

CABL award winners

Word just in Daniel Johnson won the Woolacott Medal. Details to follow.

Topic #32467 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Halls Medal Jess Foley of the Norwood Flames

Olivia Thompson the Merv Harris Medal for Best and Fairest under 21 Female player.
Sturt's Sam Daly has been awarded the Frank Angove Medal for Best and Fairest under 21 male player.

Congratulations!
Top Offensive Rebounder:
Women: Jessica Good (Norwood) 3.8 orpg
Men: John Marriott (Sturt) 4.0 orpg

Top Defensive Rebounder:
Women: Tess Madgen (Eastern) 10.8 drpg
Men: Daniel Johnson (West Adelaide) 8.6 drpg

Top Rebounder:
Women: Tess Madgen (Eastern) 12.2 rpg
Men: Daniel Johnson (West Adelaide) 12.2 rpg

Top Assists:
Women: Tess Madgen (Eastern) 7.5 apg
Men: Kyle Miller (Central Districts) 5.9 apg

Best Defensive Player:
Women: Jess Foley (Norwood)
Men: Brad Gerlach (Forestville)

Top Scorer:
Women: Tess Madgen (Eastern) 31.0 ppg
Men: Daniel Johnson (West Adelaide) 26.0 ppg

Women
Top Blocks: Rebecca Duke (Norwood) 2.3 bpg
Top Steals: Jo Hill (North Adelaide) 2.5 spg
Three Point Percentage: Tess Madgen (Eastern) 43.7%
Free Throw Percentage: Jess Foley (Norwood) 90.1%
Field Goal Percentage: Amy Lewis (Norwood) 59.8%

Men
Top Blocks: John Wernham (North Adelaide) 1.7 bpg
Top Steals: Brad Gerlach (Forestville) 1.7 spg
Three Point Percentage: Adam Doyle (Forestville) 43.7%
Free Throw Percentage: Darren Ng (Woodville) 91.0%
Field Goal Percentage: John Marriott (Sturt) 62.2%

Reply #433722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

congrardts to all winners
norwoods non attendance is a disgrace and should be heavily sanctioned by bsa

Reply #433725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awfully run afternoon.

All the photos on screens were of pre season tournament and most were out of focus.

Reply #433726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on COTY and all star 5

How did someone reported and found guilty win a best and fairest?

Reply #433727 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

fair point, Sam was found guilty and awarded a suspended sentence... ruling him out for "best and fairest under 21"
Probably just another oversight by BSA like the slide show of photos out of focus and upside down!

Reply #433728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwoods non attendance? So was foley there to collect her medal?

Reply #433729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know anything about SA ABA but how does someone who leads league in scoring, rebounds and assists not get league MVP??

Reply #433732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Votes by op coaches, not the league... Best I can offer. :(

Reply #433734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon

Good point. Probably has much to do with Tess having a strong team around her taking votes from her while Jess had to do it all by herself in a weak team!!

Reply #433737 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Maybe Norwood thought is wasn't value for money?

You can't blame them if they didn't want to go.

It is not a special meeting for BSA. They don't have them!!

Reply #433738 | Report this post

Fair call  
Years ago

How did Sam Daly win a medal when reported?
Fair enough is a reasonable player but I don't think the most deserving, numerous other players whom displayed better sportsmanship more deserving but I suppose Sturt had to get some sort of accolade otherwise it wouldn't have been right!!!!!

RIP Sam Mac

Reply #433743 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

It is not a best and fairest.

It is a who poles the most votes.

And Daly polled more votes in a team that finished higher than Mc.

Simples

Reply #433745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Mac will have the last laugh when their careers are finished. I play against both and Sam M is all class and as for Sam D - play basketball and cut out all the complaining about everything

Reply #433746 | Report this post

Fair call  
Years ago

Sam Mac all round nice guy and humble genuine work horse and yes I believe will have last laugh!!!
Just because he doesn't wear a blue Guernsey he missed out but when he get stateside he will standout

Reply #433747 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

Pity Sams off to college .. he would win the Best U21 player for another 3 seasons. Not sure how anyone is debating his worthiness. He was Sturts most valuable player by a country mile.

Reply #433749 | Report this post

Fair call  
Years ago

Sturts maybe but not the leagues
but he is a good player no question

Reply #433751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a disgusting carry on by sturt girls at awards presentations today

Reply #433754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again! 2 years in a row, no awards for being primadonnas or get pole-axed, at least they went though, Norwood not going at all, just as bad

Reply #433755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not a compulsory thing. $75 for an average 2 course feed I can see the reasons right there not to go!

Reply #433757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every other club made an effort! The food was great

Reply #433758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year just post the medals out, Norwood can't be bothered going and will save a few hangovers

Reply #433759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who made the all star teams?

Reply #433761 | Report this post

lift  
Years ago

Men:
Doyle
Miller
Clausen
Vasiljevic
Johnson

Women:
Foley
Magden
Hill
Dukes
Thompson

Reply #433767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anywhere we can see the votes?

Reply #433771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dukes!! How did she get in

Reply #433775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jo Hill is amazing and more than a worthy member of the all star team but what does it say of the quality of the ABA women's competition when a 40 yo in the twilight of her career can continue to warrant a position in that team. Where is all the new emerging talent?

Reply #433776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Norwood showing the same respect the abomination that is BSA District ABA do to the clubs/association. BSA can change things to suit themselves. Disgraceful Association, heads should roll that Daly won that trophy after they tried to sweep the charges under the carpet in the first place.
This administration needs a complete clean out.

Reply #433778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole event is a joke. No entertainment. Same presenter every year. Same shitty PowerPoint. Crappy pictures. No wonder Norwood didn't wanna spend 2k on such an event

Reply #433782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Whitmore COTY - well done and well deserved.

Simon Pritchard COTY - Obviously going undefeated doesn't hurt any chances in getting the award. I like his coaching style; lean back in the chair, legs crossed hands on knees and his pre-game instructions to the bench girls is enlightening - "ok girls remember call your own subs - we have been practicing that all week - and remember to wake me up when the game is finished"

Well done guys!!

Reply #433785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone knows that these awards are for flashy players.
You will rarely see a hard working defensive player score more than 5 votes in a season as they don't standout.

Look at Foley, standout in the Norwood team, but surely with the team they have other players should have taken points away from her.

Reply #433786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except that Jess Foley was Defensive Player of the year!! Pity that Jo Hill and Tess Madgen missed so many games

Reply #433788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have referees who are barely out of nappies casting the votes. Enough said.

Reply #433791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood in total or just their womens team?

Reply #433794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Total

Reply #433797 | Report this post

lift  
Years ago

The event has really turned into a joke.

- PowerPoint is the same bland presentation every year.
- That stupid "Congratulations" slide which bobbles around the screen annoyed the hell out of me!
- Horrible horrible quality photos.
- Slideshow photos were 90% Pre Season Tournament so there were barely any snaps of those who actually play ABL!
- Photos taken in portrait were still presented at 90 degree angle in landscape - seriously, did anyone do a quick run through beforehand?

The Sturt Women were absolutely embarasssing, quiet down girls!

Norwood's non-attendance was a disgrace.

BSA awarding Sam Daly wih the U21 award is a massive oversight and underlines the insignificance of our tribunal process. Should have gone to McDaniel or Thomas. Also I think this award should be voted for by the coaches and captains, not the top vote getter in the Woolacott.

Brett Maher provided some much needed laughs.

Tess Magden's speech was cool - it's clear how much she enjoys playing for the Mavs.

Things are looking up at Centrals - 2 All Star Five members and the COTY - well done!

Jo Hill... what a legend!

Would have been nice for Joey to wear a suit or at least a shirt.

Honouring the past award winners was a nice touch and well done I thought - maybe wouldn't have hurt to have photos and season statistics as they were being presented though?

Notes for BSA for 2014:
Different venue
Perhaps a three course meal?!?
Cheaper tickets which does not include alcoholic drinks
Hold event Sunday night after Preliminary Finals
Make it an event people want to attend!

Lastly, referees... for the love of God stop awarding three votes to players on the losing team!

Reply #433798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said lift

dont mind a player form a losing team getting votes if they play out of their mind and its a close loss.

But the amount of times a player gets votes when their team loses by 20 is astounding..

Just goes to show that umpires dont really "get it".

Reply #433799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ very well said.

Reply #433800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the best and fairest it not? Tess Magden plays a triple double game, does not bitch and moan but on the day they get beaten by a point in O/T doesn't she deserve 3 votes in a losing team.

Or say a Kyle miller or Chris Clausen outstanding game keeps their team in the game are competitive are the difference in the team being thumped or beaten by four or five or do you give to the stud import in the other team who does not pass does not play a team game. argues every call, argues with the coach but shoots 59 points in a winning team?

got to tell you guys it should never been about winning teams. say Pero as coach selects himself 3 point player and he wins the award tainted much? or if he doesn't feel he should vote himself 3 points and then the award goes to someone else.

No system is perfect, not one there will always be flaws but to say that the 3 point vote should not go to the losing team is hogwash.

And no I'm in my sixties and do not referee before you accuse me of being a ref.

Reply #433802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can assure you Pero never picked himself in any award and to even suggest that is abhorrent

Reply #433805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Woolacott has always been an absolute shambles of an event, and I know they've tried to change things a little recently, but I would really like for BSA to take a stand and try to get some respectability to the event. I know it’s a celebration of the season as a whole - but would you maybe limit it to the top players in each team instead to reduce the pack mentality of drinking? It’s also comparing apples and oranges, but I’ve been to the Magarey a couple of times and it was a professional, well planned, great night out (obviously there’s a bit of cash involved, but still). Reducing numbers to make it more of a special invite-only event, or drastically reducing the alcohol are the only solutions left.

(And '805 – I think the Pero comment was quite obviously an example, not an accusation)

Reply #433806 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

its perhaps reflective of the attitude of the particpates to the general regard the admin structures are held - little respect being shown and little regard for respect
end of season drink fest - very sad indictment and wont change until is greater level of respect and that starts with attitude ownership communication and is earnt through effort and share responsibility.
if simple presentation lacks professional approach how can response shownbe any different

Reply #433813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree that is and always has been a shambles it wasn't 30 years ago, or even 20 years ago. More these days the younger brigade trying to out drink each other is a blight.
Plus years ago it was done manually where these days with electronic technology unless you get it very right it looks horrid

Reply #433816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps some of the Sturt girls should have chosen not to turn up ,also maybe the management from their club could have stepped in and told the girls to be quiet and have some respect. I have attended many different sports award nights and never seen such a disgusting performance of total disrespect.

Reply #433842 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the price of the night and the alcohol are potential issues, maybe rein in both and have non-alcoholic drinks provided but beer/wine/spirits purchasable at the bar. And if the venue allows it, find a wine sponsor to include a bottle of red and white for each table.

Reply #433849 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Same as previous years.

Looks like the event is overrated and used as a farewell to a season for some.

I congratulate Norwood on not putting themselves at risk of getting labelled for the wrong reasons.

As a club president, I would be happier to take the flak of non attendance rather than the issues of appalling behaviour.

What will BSA do about, as I said at the start, the same as previous years

Nothing.......

Reply #433852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA couldn't care if they didn't hold it, more money to swindle out the backdoor.

Reply #433864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most people find the event quite boring and use it really as a team break-up/drinking session.
I'd go so far as to say without drinks included in the price, the Norwood women wouldn't be the only team boycotting the event.

(not saying it's okay, just that's what it is)

Reply #433897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Making people pay for alcohol wont work.

I would suggest that the champagne breakfast was the major reason the Sturt girl were rowdy, not served alcohol.

Reply #433902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way of stopping it is refusing entry/removing rowdy people.

Reply #433904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I hear Norwood has to look after the pennies and said they were not going to pay for the event and that individuals including players had to pay their own way.

Reply #433919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The MVP award did go to Tess Madgen, this is voted on by each clubs coach, captain and a club deligate.

She did not win the Halls because this is votes from each game and Tess missed 7 due to Opals committments and 1 she played less than a half due to an anckle injury.

Foley and Jo Hill had excellent years though and deserve to be 1 and 2 in the votes but Tess still was 3rd after missing that many games. She was leading easily till round 12, then didnt play anymore games.

Reply #433930 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Everyone knows you go to ricey for a well ran party lol. How is it that every year the same complaints are made? How is it so hard to put together an event with some appearance of professionalism on the leagues part. As for people being rowdy, that's where pre event talks with management comes into play and the foot is put down then as to what will and will not be acceptable. It seems that the awards are a great way to see what the league is ran like

Reply #433938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jaime-Lee Peris should be disappointed not making the all-star 5 this year, especially as Olivia Thompson is not a centre.

Did she not make the all star 5 last year in the 4 spot?

Reply #434072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with above. Head to head 3 times this year and Olivia did very little against North thugh I think that is more to do with F/ville using Olivia properly.

Reply #434075 | Report this post

unanon  
Years ago

how many chances do you get
sturt acted awfully the entire presentation and the security guard only spoke to them once
i think about 15 mins in they all shouldve been kicked out

Reply #434092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Woodville men? 15-3 season and only team in top 5 without a member in the all star 5? Yet 10-8 Centrals have 2 with both probably being given spots out of position? Miller a 1 yet named at 2 (granted does play some 2) and Clausen a 4/5 but named as a 3 (prob never played this position all season). Bad weekend for the Warriors with a 4opt blowout loss in prelim and then a snub by league on all star 5 voting. Surely 1 of Wyatt or Ng deserved at spot?

Reply #434097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why should the security guy have to do it especially when the Sturt President was there ,one would think that he would step in and shut them up but no let them go on showing no respect to anyone. Not a good look for the Sturt Club.

Reply #434130 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

I hope Jamie can produce a game that would show she should have been in the all star 5 for the GF - or it will be a non event like last year's final.

Reply #434133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clausen isn't really a 4/5, just forced to play that by necessity this season

Reply #434386 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Who is Sturt President ATM?

Reply #434391 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

NORWOODS LACK OF ATTENDANCE AT THE WOOLACOTT IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO ALL OTHER CLUBS AND THE BSA ASSOCIATION!.Good enough for others to find $ to attend but not them!.
Surely their coaching staff and Management team can afford to pay for their teams or is that money going towards paying a Coaching Director.

Reply #438924 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Good post anon agree with the Norwood snub!
As a player from another club who was there Sturt girls also rowdy! and loud BUT at least they were there!!!
BSA need to freshen the event up and make it an event that is held in respect and a proud celebration of our league and the players who play in it and win awards.
Congrats to the winners!
BSA should talk to the other leagues around Australia and see how they do it and get feedback!

Reply #438925 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

THOMPSON CENTRE!! Don't think so!!
OMG! how did she beat Peris to that spot when Thompson is known as a 4 player!
To state that Forestville "don't use her correctly" is that to do with the coaching or the player not understanding her role in the team ??
Woolacott still an second rate event but was better than year before!
Brett Maher was humorous and witty and presents under embarrassing conditions!!
Don't the attendees understand respect for their peers and their league or is it just another night or day pout on the booze!!
Perhaps the teams should do what the AFL does and have a Mad Monday after the season so it gets it out of their systems before the count night!
Having in the afternoon this year was better allowed all to go off to other venue to mix and enjoy each others company.
Foley Hill Madgen Champions! Hill should be named Living Legend in Hall of Fame!!

Reply #438926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last three posts same IP.

Reply #438935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon why are you talking to yourself? Please don't make yourself look any dumber by telling us all it wasn't you. It is so obvious that you just agreed with your own post!

Reply #438936 | Report this post

The problem is that the Halls/Woolacott is the "Mad Monday" event.

How about:

1. Alcohol not provided - pay for it over the bar.

2. Venue location that allows players to go out afterwards if they wish.

3. Adult behavioural expectations - if Brett Maher has to present with major distractions, then Club Committee's aren't doing their job. Respect!

4. A code of conduct maybe?

Liquor Licensing Act enforce "RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol" conditions on waiting staff when free alcohol is served? - If so, there's a budget surplus for the state government in terms of fines issued!!!

As stated above, this is the premier basketball event in the state - "Night of Nights", and having attended four events I find it's a joke.

I've seen (many) school assemblies run by teenagers, for teenagers that are better organised, and better executed.

When you look at the quality of the winners each year, it's a real shame this is the best we can offer.

Reply #438938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs committees sitting next to disruptive players should actually get off the fat behinds and put a stop to it

Reply #438961 | Report this post

That would be part of managing a club - committee members definitely need to hold their players. On duct to account.

Reply #438966 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754