Isaac
Years ago

NBL News this week

Quick round up for forum readers...

Breakers have signed Mika Vukona and are believed to have made offers to Brendon Polyblank and Daniel Green (an Australian guy playing Div 2 in the US I think). They're also reported to be keeping an eye on Arthur Trousdell and Everard Barrett.

The NBL site has interviewed Martin Cattalini about his hopes for Cairns in the 2005/06 NBL season. "I definitely still have the hunger and the desire to get out there..." Ominous sign from a passionate player.

Outside the NBL, David Andersen has led his Moscow-based team to its third straight Russian title. He had 23 and 7 in the final. He's expected to re-sign with the team after an off-season spent in Australia preparing for the Commonwealth Games and World Champs.

Matt Nielsen has signed in Lithuania for the year to come. He has recently played in Greece.

Damon Lowery has been picked up by the Crocs to replace injured kid Adam Quick.

Razors are looking at taking an import from the NZ league -- 6'6" forward, Greg Lewis. Lewis had his college career with Winthrop, once managing 15 and 7 in 2002 against a Duke team that sported Mike Dunleavy (18 points, 6 boards), Carlos Boozer (19 and 6), and a few other recognisable names (D Jones, N Horvath, C Duhon, J Williams, D Ewing, A Buckner...). Lewis' team got thoroughly drilled and he was the only one to do any damage. Lewis at the time was noted as Big South Conference Player of the Year.

Chris Anstey has signed a two year with the Melbourne Tigers who have unsuccessfully tried to lure a number of high-calibre NBL players to their roster. I think the official announcement is due on Tuesday.

No confirmation that Cortez Groves has signed with the Hawks, though the rumour is that he's signed.

No news on the Farley front with Adelaide. They'll need to do something though because I'm sure that Wethers will be wanted by the Pirates if the Sixers go with Farley or take too long to decide. I guess we'll see.

Topic #3247 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Rychart's team got the win, though it appears that the man himself got into foul trouble and managed only 10 points and 3 boards in 25 minutes. Playing for his team, Derek Moore had 17 and 9 and Breaker Paul Henare had 15, 8 and 8 assists. For the opposing team, Pero "fat lazy sack of potatoes" Cameron came good with 21 points while Sydney Kings guard Luke Martin struggled, managing 4 points and 6 turnovers in 42 minutes.

David Cooper's team, the Jets, also got a win. Cooper had a 13 and 11 double-double, and 4 blocked shots in 40 minutes. Scott McGregor had 27 and 10 for the losing Nuggets, while Russell Hinder posted 14 and 14.

On June 4, Jacob Holmes led his team to a decent win, scoring 27 points (8/11 FG and 9/10 FT! -- wait a minute, 8/11 FG!? Where did they put the REAL Jacob! Just kidding!) and 10 rebounds to continue what appears to be league-leading form. Great signs for the 36ERS, IMO. His team is second on the NZ NBL ladder too.

Despite sitting second-to-bottom, Cooper's Jets picked up a second win for the week. Cooper had another double-double of 11 points and 12 rebounds, and added 5 blocks in 40 minutes.

Reply #37523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw it mentioned on OzHoops tonight that the Melbourne Tigers have been holding open trials to fill their last couple of roster positions. The list of names included:

"Lucas Walker, Daniel Dillon, Michael Czepil, David Ray, Liam Norton, Sam Burch, Shane Mcdonald, Matt Ohea, Gerrard Leonard, Nathan Obrien, Braith Cox, Jason Everstyn, David Donaldson, Matt Smith, Ivan Platenik, Joel Seach"

Reply #37655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Guess I'll keep adding to this topic rather than starting another one.

Rumour on OzHoops that a West Sydney player is planning on heading overseas. The individual was said to have been previously "pencilled in as a starter" so I guess the list is Markovic, Harvey, Dwight, McGregor and Horvath.

Whoever goes, it'd leave a gap in their line-up.

Reply #37754 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth are trialling ex-Breaker Shawn Redhage. They've also signed out-of-college forward Cameron Tovey.

Tony Rampton, signed by the Hawks, has broken his right thumb.

Sixers think they're within 24 hours of signing Farley.

Reply #37962 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754