RJ
Years ago

Funny Classics - 18 BOYS

It's late, it's long and it's just what I think ....

Under 18 Boys

Southern Tigers:
Coach: Kim Jury
Strengths: Confidence, Balance, Talent.
Possible Weakness: Attitude.
Players to watch: Brown, Slaghekke, Hemmings ('05 18 Metro), Scott ('03 16 Metro), Florance (2 time Metro res.)
Quick look: A very talented six will decide this team's weekend. The names above have a lot of expectations and if my State Champs MVP Slaghekke can give as much inside as he did in May they may be able to compete with the bigger Victoria sides. They come across as arrogant and loud and this group relies on their confidence just like the best Tiger teams of the past. If they fall in a hole that confidence may turn around and become this team's worst enemy.

West Adelaide:
Coach: Mark Molitor
Strengths: Size, Confidence, Go-To players.
Possible Weakness: Depth.
Players to watch: Molitor ('05 18 Metro), Long ('03 16 Metro), Cameron.
Quick look: Mark Molitor is as well credentialed as any junior coach in S.A. and certainly knows how to win. Cameron showed in May that he has the leadership abilities many have been waiting to see from him while the diverse skills of Chris Molitor makes him always hard to match up on. The key to this group is how Long and Co. perform and if they can give enough support the Bearcats will show why they are the #2 S.A. side going into this weekend.

Sturt:
Coach: Paul Rigoni
Strengths: Size, Experience, Discipline.
Possible Weakness: Firepower.
Players to watch: Dodman, Gavranich, Huxford ('05 18 Country), Gemo, Blood ('05 18 Metro).
Quick look: Clearly the Sabres have some depth and talent and Dodman is certainly a star of the future. To me this team looks too drilled and lacking in some of that attitude that the Tigers strive on. If the Sabres can show some true grit this weekend then look out because they definitely have the talent.

Norwood:
Coach: Peter Berry
Strengths: Depth, Experience, Fundamentals.
Possible Weaknesses: Size and Age.
Players to watch: Fisher ('03 16 Metro), Krake, Giovinne, Bradbrook, Johnson ('04 16 Metro)
Quick look: This Flames side has been talked about a fair bit on this site in the past and has certainly surprised a few of their critics (including me). While success in the Summer and to a lesser extent at State Champs is something they should definitely be proud of it will be interesting to see how they stack up against the bigger, stronger Victorian sides. The Flames lack a real strong presence inside (not trying to take away from what Johnson and Giovinne have been doing,) in comparison to what they'll be facing and while they are clearly a talented group they just don't seem as talented yet as those teams they'll have to face this weekend.

Forestville:
Coach: David Laurie
Strengths: Depth, Depth and hmmm Depth.
Possible Weakness: Firepower.
Players to watch: Seebohm, Hamilton ('05 18 Country), Harvey, Fildes ('05 18 Metro), Wernham ('05 18 NT), Cheater ('03 16 Metro), Csono ('04 16 Metro), DeCure (Metro reserve).
Quick look: Definitely the deepest of all the Under 18 S.A. teams but depth isn't enough. This team is a lot like Sturt in that talent has always been enough and they've never had to show the fight and attitude of the Tigers. I'm sure they have it, now is the time to show it! I really like the balance of this side from its guard rotation of Seebohm, Hamilton, Harvey and even the exciting Boonstoppel to the bigs of Fildes, Csono, Werham, Cheater and the athletic DeCure. Plenty of talent; will that be enough.

Woodville:
Coach: Michael Mackenroth
Strengths: Balance, Heart, Quicks.
Possible Weakness: no BIG names
Players to watch: Kargins ('05 SA Metro), Hoffman
Quick look: a good strong Division One side but to me that's what most if not all of this side consists of. They're made up of good Division one players but at Classics that kind of talent normally isn't enough. That being said a team with the heart and fire of this Warriors side is always going to be capable of over achieving and its weekends like these that are a perfect chance to show people like me wrong!

Group A: Melbourne, Norwood, Forestville, Kilsyth.
The Eagles failure at State Champs gives them the better draw this weekend. Forestville are clearly the deepest of the SA sides going over and in an event like this with 3 tough games in one day that depth could prove a key. Melbourne would be tipped by everyone to have few troubles getting through this group undefeated while Kilsyth may prove a challenge for both the Flames and Eagles. Norwood has surprised most so far this year but I still don't think they have enough to compete with Forestville. The Flames are young and this will be a good experience for a side which apart from Fisher will rely on their bottom age players. I'm tipping Forestville to make the top 8 from this group with Norwood battling Kilsyth for third in the pool.
Group B: Dandenong, Sturt, Woodville, Werribee
Sturt and Woodville would be quite happy with the group they're in. Sturt with Dodman become a big talented side and should have enough to go through in the top eight. Dandenong are currently undefeated and while the Sabres at their best could push the Rangers I'd suggest that Dandenong would get through this group undefeated. Werribee are an interesting side, with a number of talented players but just not quite enough to go with the best in the VJBL. Both Woodville and Sturt would be looking to beat them and therefore battle each other for a final 8 spot.
Group C: Nunawading, West Adelaide, Geelong, Diamond Valley.
A tough group for the Bearcats. Nunawading's one loss against the Rangers is nothing to be ashamed about and the Spectres would be comfortable favourites to come out on top of this group. Diamond Valley and Geelong would both also be focused on a top eight finish meaning the Bearcats will have to fight hard for any wins on Saturday. I'm tipping the Eagles to sneak in while the Bearcats and Cats will be the unlucky ones just outside the top eight.
Group D: Darebin, Southern, Canberra, McKinnon.
Darebin were surprisingly impressive at Easter making the semi finals and the two Canberra sides both also showed a lot of class. McKinnon's results so far this VJBL season suggest they'll also be tough to beat. Southern are clearly on a roll at the moment and full of confidence. If the side stays disciplined they definitely have the talent to come out of this group 3-0.

RJ's Final Four: 1.Melbourne, 2. Dandenong, 3. Nunawading, 4. Southern Tigers.

SA Predicted Final Placing: Southern 1 - 4, Sturt 5 - 8, Forestville 5 - 8, West Adelaide 9 - 12, Norwood 13 - 16, Woodville 13 - 16.

Topic #3248 | Report this topic

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

RJ - MINT review!

Reply #37524 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

RJ - you never cease you amaze me.

Great write up, and from what i've seen this season, and at state champs (and easter) your on the money!!

Looks to be a great tournament.

Reply #37530 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Girls comp thoughts are coming too?

Reply #37533 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Yes they are

Reply #37536 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Great work again RJ - By the looks of it I'd say your bang on the money!!

Reply #37545 | Report this post

RJ's Groupie  
Years ago

Ooooo each PREview gets better and more detailed.

Nothing less than what I expected from you RJ! Just gets better and better.

I like your style.

Reply #37563 | Report this post

johno  
Years ago

history suggests that RJ is being a bit optimistic by suggesting 3 SA sides will make the top 8. i would say we will be lucky to have 2. the tigers should get there, and sturt may get in....i dont think forestville will be up to it.

Reply #37569 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

johno - if you recall the easter carnival, forestivlle took Melbourne to OT. Melbourne (were at the time, not sure if they still are) to only undefeated team in Vic 18's. That only shows forestville have the talent to compete.

Reply #37570 | Report this post

johno  
Years ago

i agree that they can compete, but i dont think they are good enough to be in the top 8. they may have had one good game against the tigers (melb), but i dont think they are travelling that well at the moment. just my opinion....i guess we weill know in a couple of days time. can we get updates from the classics on here at all....any chance??

Reply #37580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i beleive RJ is taking over his laptop, and (time permitting) will endeavour (sp?) to keep us well informed.

Reply #37583 | Report this post

round ball  
Years ago

Id be surprised if an Adelaide team could finish higher than 7th.I hope im wrong but this SA age group is no where near as strong as what SA teams have been in the past years. Sturt may be the best chance, but only because they have a big man in Dodman to compete on the boards.You need more than talent to win at the Classics. Will be a tough weekend for all Adelaide teams. Hopefully a couple will sneak into the top 8 and possibly win a quarter final to finish top 4

Reply #37607 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

southern top 4?!?!

I didnt think theyd scrape in for top 8, and then they did and i saw the game against forestville and thought dam!

Congratulations to forestville on coming 5th i hear where did southern end up 7th or 8th?

woodville 16th west 14th howd norwood and sturt end up

Reply #37731 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

that will be sadly woodvilles last boys entry to the classics for atleast 5-10 years.as a 12 year woodville vet its sad times.

Reply #37738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a 12 year woodville vet, instead of being negative, help your club out! Give something back to your club.

Reply #37739 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

U18B Placings

Forestville 5th

Southern Tigers 7th

Norwood 9th

Sturt 11th

West 13th

Woodville 16th

Care to summarise some of the Classic moments RJ??

Reply #37749 | Report this post

johno  
Years ago

well, i am the first to admit when i am wrong. i was absolutely wrong about forestville...5th at the classics is certainly a great achievement, and well done to the team.

Reply #37766 | Report this post

sas sqaut  
Years ago

Southern tigers came 7th, could of finished top 4 but injuries to Rhino and Phil hurt them badly. Overall they did well for the cicumstances. Forstvill beat them easily, by 15points or more.

Reply #37778 | Report this post

Heard that Phil went down in the dying stages of the game against Forestville and that Rhino was only injured late in the cross over game. Therefore, saying that injuries contributed to them not making top 4 is bullshit. Tiger boys always looking for excuses.

Reply #37866 | Report this post

No-One Important  
Years ago

Rhino actually pulled up sore after the last pool game & even though he played the cross over game he was not 100%. This certainly hurt their chances at making top 4. Post coital you are right though that Phil went down in the Forestville game.

Reply #37872 | Report this post

sas sqaut  
Years ago

Dying stages, it was in the second qauter, but hey cant make execuses because two players were injured they are the number one team becaus of their nine players not because of rhino and phil

Reply #37989 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

i agree 'Post coital cigarette'

I watched the forestville and tigers game and from someone who doesnt play for either team, that game was won from the start by forestville. Forestville were all over them and not at one stage did tigers look like they were going to get even close. Only one close i could see making an impact was Hemmings from tigers. Eagles were up by a heap before browny even got injured!

The whole forestville team looked in good form, i predicted they would finish highest of the SA teams and with their performance i thought they could of gone further.

It is obvious that Forestville is a better TEAM then tigers. Hopefully i can watch the next time they face off.

Reply #38136 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

statue,

I think thats being a little harsh. The Tiger boys went all out to get a spot in the top four and had a realistic chance of doing so. A top four result by Forestville would have surprised even them. The Tigers had just come off a very winnable game v Diamond Valley (who made the final) and were obviously a hurt and disappointed unit.

While I totally agree that the Eagles were better on the day I wouldn't write the Tigers off just yet.

Reply #38142 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

And I don't want to be rude but if you had watched the Eagles get totally outclassed by Dandenong earlier in the day you'd agree coming 5th was a terrific result.

Reply #38143 | Report this post

JoJo  
Years ago

Yes RJ but Forestville beat Darbin to get 5th spot and Tigers lost to Darebin and that game was before tigers played Diamond Valley. Forestville played as a team and deserved their placing!!

Reply #38241 | Report this post

sas sqaut  
Years ago

Yes but, tigers had them on the back foot with one min to go they were up by 6 they ended up making silly mistakes, they were very hurt from both games which could have been easily winnable

Reply #38254 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Oh sas squat... one minute u say they, Tigers, are a 9 man team, can't make excuses on injuries etc, and oh dear they made mistakes (gee pressure does that and teams CRACK) which cost them a game. Excuse laden.

Could have, would have, should have matters not. End result matters. Let's wait for Winter season finals, it is sure to be a great game no matter what, and a few other teams in U18s will no doubt want to beat Tigers and Eagles!

RJ, u also play the hurt & sorrowful bit... :(
From you on Tigers "If they fall in a hole that confidence may turn around and become this team's worst enemy."
and on Eagles "Plenty of talent; will that be enough." Seemed so from what I saw.

Wouldn't it be funny if both these teams missed the Winter GF after being the best two at Classics!!???

Hugs

Reply #38258 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

lol yeh you have a point RJ maybe i was abit harsh. But losing to Dandenong i mean everyone is going to lose to them... what about woodville! 70 points almost.

And Jojo cheers for telling me about the Darebin game i hadnt heard about that.

Reply #38352 | Report this post

Dear RJ  
Years ago

Just wondering- will RJ be doing an in-depth write-up for the state teams heading off to perth?

Reply #38561 | Report this post

sas sqaut  
Years ago

Yeah that would be pretty funny woudnt, too bad ur talking out ur ass and that wouldnt happen, i mean i dont think forestville are gonna mke the GF but if they do good luck to them. Let me remind u when Tigers plyed forestville at morphetvale asnd beat them by over 15

Reply #38594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

try 6 points and they were missing trent fildes

Reply #38598 | Report this post

jeans  
Years ago

sas squat- get your facts straight- eagles lost by 7 without one of their best player!!

Reply #38599 | Report this post

sas sqaut  
Years ago

Big deal so did southern when rhino didnt play. what teams on top of the ladder.

Reply #38736 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

sorry i played against the tigers and they weren't impressive. They do not have the height fullstop. The preview at the top said that they had attitude, there attitude was thrown right back in there face with a little bit more. They are arrogant and do not have the skills to back it up. And this rhino kid is extremely short. He was blocked about a thousand times against us

Reply #38765 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

The reason forestville came fifth is simply depth. Tigers have to rely on brown solely to get them scoring. Rhino cant score against anyone taller than six foot and hemmings isn't really any good. Forestville are the best SA met side and the melbourne classic result just proves that.
P.S
Don't try comparing tigers to any VIC met team(the best on ball pressure in australia). Tigers crap themselves with a little bit of pressure

Reply #38766 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

I have to give lots of respect to what should be SA mets god MOLITOR. One of the best players there, i love the kid hes got a jump shot can put it on the floor and has a mad post game. U guys should not be talking up the tigers just him

Reply #38782 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

lol who are ya big bad bruce?

Reply #38838 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

i played against the tigers at classic (We beat them comfortabaly)

Reply #38905 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Darebin beat them by 8
Diamond Valley beat them by 15
Forestville beat them by 22.

So who are you Bruce?

Reply #38930 | Report this post

sas sqaut  
Years ago

Hey BRUCY if ur from vic dont come here and run ur mouth, make up ur own bloody forum to say shit about other vic teams. Dont get to up ur self u guys arnt as as good as u think, come here and lpay the SA sides at there home grounds

Reply #39072 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

i will buddy and i'm not trying to put shit on SA teams it's just u guys are talking them up. I dont mind u talking up west adeilade and forestville but not tigers it's like there a god here in SA. And please do not seiously think that ant SA team would stand a chance against a dandenong, nunawading, tigers or diamond valley..that is just a joke

Reply #39265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers became individual which became their destruction (browney basically).
Forrestville had the heart and determenation from all which got them through.
Sturt had none of their old heart, or physicality if u will. Just no attitude from them at all. Where has it all gone? Have the players that have left had this big of an effect?

Reply #39364 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

Its hard to believe that sturt are not up there in the top two teams with the bucket load of talent they have. Jormones is very big, but he is also (what alot of people don't give him respect for) a very smart player with good touch around the ring and to about 12 feet out. They do not play great defense which hurt them a bit at classic, they rely on jordie to block everything that comes iinto the key, which he tried to but penatration was what killed them and as RJ said lack of emotion. They would hit a big bucket or get a three point play and the bench wouldn't move and the other players on the court were just happy to watch and mabye clap once.

Reply #39369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea, back in the day they would b all over the place, back when Nick Evans was their captain. him and aaron was like all the emotion in the team.
as for jordan havin good touch, dont think so. he misses about 7 from 10 around the basket down here in SA.

Reply #39436 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

he doesn't at nationals. He is in the top 5 scorers every year. I'm not sure about SA but at nationals he is deadly from the high post and short corner

Reply #39477 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

big bad bruce- i think u hav found a new love... perhaps u should marry this forum!

Reply #39515 | Report this post

sas sqaut  
Years ago

perhaps he should make his own thread in Vic and give them shit. PLease man let diamond valley and all of those other teams come down r way and we will play again, maybe a different result or maybe not.

Reply #39526 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

..im thinking not

Reply #39538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im not talkin about how much JD scores, im talkin about his percentage. it aint that high mate. Rhyno gets a higher percentage easily, then again he doesnt kiss the ball towards the ring, he gets up there and makes sure it goes in.

Reply #39602 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

HAHAHA is this sas squat serious. I dont think ther would be one sa team that would be lucky to finish in the top eight let alone the top four here in vic. And please do not mention rhyno and Jordan dodman names in the same sentence. There is a reason that jordan dodman is an all australian and if you would like to see his stats from nationals he was in the top 10 last time he went. And whats this about rhyno getting up there he cant jump at all....what a joke please people he is not any good

Reply #39614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bruce - i dont really agree with alot of you've said, but you do make a good point about Rhino and Dodman. At the higher level, Dodman does step his game up. Here in SA he plays okay, because teams are able to double down on him, play zones etc, but at Nationals; where you have accountable, if you double down on the post you know your man is knocking the trey, his size and back to the basket ability gets shown more.

May also have some thing to do with the style of game at Nationals compared to district. nationals is much more structured, plays, roles etc.

Reply #39645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

victoria reigns sumpreme

Reply #39658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dodman is better than rhino

Reply #39659 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Victoria reign sumpreme? At least South Australian's can spell.

Reply #39664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd better check your punctuation In the Know before making such accusations.

Reply #39676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh sorry in the know, i made a typo, woop di do. SA is not classy

Reply #39829 | Report this post

true he is very hard to stop at nats i'm not sure why he can't do it with sturt. He is a very talented big man and that draws a double down even at nats. He normally try to beat the double first at nats though mabye it is a different mind set that he brings to nats

Reply #39833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he does have classier players around him at nats so maybe its too dangerous to make the double team and thats why he goes so well

Reply #39847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe rhyno dominated him in State champs, i think he did, didnt he hold him to about 10 points or something? talk about stepping up, why not in semi finals in state champs? all he has to do is stand infront of rhyno or behind get ball jump and dunk. instead he gets ball turns around for jumper. not too smart if u ask me

Reply #39864 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

(Mod: Bruce has been temporarily ejected.)

Reply #39896 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

This is supposed to be informative and entertaining. If there are personal attacks like #39896 from Brucey Boy, how about being a man and speak directly, rather than spoil this great forum with your foul language- how is Collingwood going- you would have to be a cheer squad member.

Reply #39901 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

Im more worried about rhyno going under different alias' and talking himself up

I think what bruce is saying is completely right i havn't disagreed with him yet and im from SA

Reply #39959 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

However i do think Forestville deserved a place in the top 8, 5th was probably the highest they could have finished.

Ive seen all the u18 teams play and i think Sturt should have finished a little higher, woodville a little higher and that would pretty much have been the correct result

Reply #39960 | Report this post

sas squat  
Years ago

Thank you so much issac for getting rid of bruce for a while.

Reply #39990 | Report this post

team  
Years ago

wow victoria metro won nationals, and where were SA metro 7th. how suprising

Reply #41496 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

we had a close one wit vic met... only lost by 1

Reply #41663 | Report this post

jj  
Years ago

yeah thats right one point SA met under performed a bit though as well, vic met weren't that good even though they won it. NSW C lost it more than VIC M won it

Reply #41672 | Report this post

Player  
Years ago

"It is obvious that Forestville is a better TEAM then tigers. Hopefully i can watch the next time they face off.

statue of liberty, 16/06/05"

Did u watch the game sol?
Fvlle won by 17 on Friday night. Was a hard played game in good spirit by both teams. Can't wait for finals to start.

Reply #45010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oi player tigers had six players dont get too cocky until thhey play u in finals time with a full side.

Reply #45071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville only had 7 with 2 bigmen out. Big Steve and that guy from darwin. It could have been worse if they played!

Reply #45086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will beat thme next time no doubt GO YOU MIGHTY TIGERS

Reply #45105 | Report this post

Kal  
Years ago

Sturt beat Southern two weeks ago. NO Jordan, no Adam, two injuries, two fouled out, 4 left on court, 3 were bottom age and won by 3pts.

Reply #45212 | Report this post

lmfaorofl!  
Years ago

Hang on, a regular excuse is coming.......

err we at Tigers had our hair bleached that week, felt tired, had exams, or werent in the mood, but next time watch out when we have a full team!

good onya Sturt!

Reply #45232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah thats why there fisrt because they make excuses all day long i huess it works though if there first maybe everyone should try they might be as good as them one day.

Reply #45613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

excuses are like assholes boys everyone has them, tigers seem to have a lot, and they all stink. We had our hair bleached....that is the absolute worst excuse ever mate. Good on u!

Reply #45662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754