RJ
Years ago

Funny Classics - 18 GIRLS

For those of you unlucky enough to be stuck at work or not going away ... (written as I head out the door for the long trip over)

Under 18 Girls

North Adelaide
Coach: Marc Wallis
Strengths: Discipline, Depth, Experience.
Possible Weakness: Size or lack there of.
Players to watch: Mansfield, Kaminski, Peris ('05 18 Metro), Lock, Wright ('03 16 Metro), Burbridge, Keller, Rule ('04 16 Metro).
Quick look: First of all I just named all eight players as the Rockets players to watch. As I said they're deep. Burbridge is the only player with real height and Peris will work hard inside with her but compared to the Victorians that is where the Rockets could run into problems. Most of these girls have been here more then once before and know what to expect as does Wallis which will definitely help. If Kaminski can continue to get to the hoop, Lock hit the open shots and Mansfield control the tempo the Rockets could make up for their lack of size.

Eastern
Coach: Neil Gliddon
Strengths: Francis, Talent, Coaching.
Possible Weakness: Lack of depth.
Players to watch: Francis ('05 18 Metro), Crase ('05 18 Country), Madgen ('05 16 Country), Whitehead.
Quick look: Rumour is U16 Madgen will make the trip to Dandy with the 18's and her talent and skill is exactly what is needed. Cayla Francis is as exciting as any young basketballer in S.A. right now and her size combined with her range makes her extremely tough to guard; even for some of the best ABL players going around SA. Crase is a hard working PG who will try and control the flow of the Mavs games while Whitehead's rebounding power is very under-rated.

Sturt
Coach: Paul Mesecke
Strengths: Langford, Discipline, Fundamentals
Possible Weakness: Chemistry
Players to watch: McPhail ('05 18 Metro), Vehlow, Langford, Fachrmann ('05 18 Country), Hargraves ('05 18 metro res).
Quick look: Emma Langford has for the most part done her development under the radar. There are a number of real future prospects in this age bracket and Langford is definitely one of them. Her size and athleticism makes her an exciting player to watch and move around the floor. While Mesecke will have this team as prepared as any making the trip to Classics they have been inconsistent so far and their lack of playing time together could be one reason for that. Depending on how they gel for the whole weekend this group could be a real dark horse for a good result.

Norwood
Coach: Troy Schroeder
Strengths: Guards, Speed, Handles.
Possible Weakness: Lack of size.
Players to watch: Nicole Romeo ('05 18 Metro), Kate Gladstone ('03 16 Metro), Libby Harrison, Kimberly Olsen ('05 18 Country).
Quick look: Like the rest of S.A. the Flames biggest challenge will be the size factor. The Flames again will rely on Romeo and Gladstone in the backcourt to do most of their damage but Schroeder has been able to get good minutes out of the supporting cast in the past. If they can manage to recapture the form of Easter then the Flames could upset a few teams this weekend but they just don't have the level of talent I think is required at a Classics to be considered a shot at top 8.

Forestville:
Coach: Steve Boyton
Strengths: Depth, Names, Abby Bishop.
Possible Weakness: FIRE!
Players to watch: Abby Bishop (Gems/AIS), Mia Newley, Nikita-Lee Martin ('05 18 Metro), Duncan, Gallio ('05 18 Country).
Quick look: IF Abby Suits (and due to how late I'm writing this I can't confirm if she will or won't), then the Eagles will have three of the best players in S.A. in uniform to lead them. Newley and Martin are both playing bit minutes in a strong ABL side and have plenty of experience on the National junior stage. The key for the Eagles will be the contributions they can get from Duncan, Gallio, Harrison, Benson, Bow and the under-rated Alexander.

Group A: Nunawading, Norwood, Forestville, Bulleen.
Nunawading again appear out of reach for everyone in this group. They are currently the only undefeated team in the JVBL and boast 3 Vic Metro reps. Bulleen have been a little disappointing this year but should have enough to take the Flames. The battle between the Eagles and Boomers will decide the second top 8 spot and assuming Bishop will suit I'll tip the Eagles to get through.
Group B: Melbourne, Sturt, Tasmania, Latrobe.
Melbourne aren't the untouchable #2 of other grades and Sturt on a good night could possibly take them. At a National Classic though I think the Tigers will be too focused to allow that to happen. Latrobe have surprised many so far this JVBL and they have a good balanced side which relies on their team strength rather then individual talent. The Tasmanian side shouldn't bother the Sabres too much.
Group C: Dandenong, Eastern, Sydney, Eltham.
Not much separates the Rangers and Wildcats and that along with the Francis led Mavs makes me think this group could go anyway for these three teams. I doubt the Mavs have the depth and experience to stick with either Victorian side but they are definitely capable of pulling an upset. Personally I'm tipping the Wildcats to just get by the Rangers and the Mavs to just miss out. Sydney Comets aren't the strongest team from NSW and will probably struggle against three quality sides.
Group D: Broadmeadows, North Adelaide, Canberra, Frankston.
The Broncos have surprised me with their form in the VJBL and currently sit above more fancied teams from Eltham and Bulleen. If their style of game can translate into wins at this level of competition then look for them to go top of this Group. That being said Frankston as 5th Vic seed would definitely believe they have the tools to knock them off and personally I think they will. The Rockets are an interesting side to gauge here. Their lack of size is really the biggest issue and if they can hide that deficiency with their perimeter shooting and ability to get to the hoop then the Rockets could actually go 3-0 on Saturday. Canberra while not the easy beats some may think, find themselves in a tough pool with three quality sides and will probably struggle to compete on day one.

RJ's Final Four: 1. Nunawading, 2. Melbourne, 3. Frankston, 4. Eltham

SA Predicted Final Placing: North Adelaide 5 - 8, Forestville 5 - 8, Sturt 9 - 12, Eastern 9 - 12, Norwood 13 - 16.

Shame to see no West Adelaide here. Would have been good to see Mencel compete.

Topic #3251 | Report this topic

Trex  
Years ago

Thansk You, a good read.

Frankston will surprise, they are like Nth Adel in that they are not that big, biggest is 184cm, but that have a very good group that really put in on the floor, they also have 3 Vic Metro reps..big, PG Fwd...even tho bottom ages 1 and possibley 2 will be VM starters..they beat Nunawading by 6 in a game after 2nd round of VC grading...consistency is thier issue being a mainly bottom age team.

Reply #37559 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

and by the way the laptop is making the trip, so if I manage to find some time and some internet access I'll keep you all informed as to the happenings from Dandenong stadium.

Reply #37561 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Should have also added, Bishop and Tomlinson (Melbourne/AIS) are both in the US with the Gems and will not play..Munro (Eltham/AIS) will be playing.

Reply #37562 | Report this post

scott lewis  
Years ago

i think that they realy need to shape up or ship out

Reply #37568 | Report this post

prof. shot  
Years ago

hmmm yeah its very dissapointing that west dont have a team going leah is an awsome player and she would have kicked ass

Reply #37585 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Thanks RJ. Good Work Mate.
I am currently O/S, does anyone know where I can get updated scores on the net?

Reply #37610 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

good article - the u18 div 1 girls in adle is the most even group of all in the district junior comp

kick ass girls!

follow erin and laura

Reply #37635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know mavs won there first game, will post some more score later

Reply #37643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

north has had 2 close losses

Mavs and Sturt have won there first 2

Forrestville has split their 2 games

Reply #37653 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Eastern and Sturt in Grand Final

Reply #37694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RJ - you were waaayyy off.

Reply #37777 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

didn't see anyone else put their balls on the line and make any predictions!

Reply #37779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think you'll find RJ does these write-ups to give us an indication of all teams, most people wouldn't know much about any of the other competing teams. Perhaps some of his/her Vic sources underrated our SA teams, or over rated themselves!

Reply #37783 | Report this post

What about the Sturt V Nunawading game that was the best game of the tournament?!?! A definet show game from what i heard anyway.

Reply #37909 | Report this post

What do people have to say about the show game?

Reply #37912 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Sturt played very well, Nunawading played poorly, far from a show game.

Reply #37924 | Report this post

Sturt knocked out someone that no one was expecting them to. the game was close and both teams were fighting for the win the only thing that sealed it was the 3 pointers shot by a Sturt guard?!?

Reply #38050 | Report this post

If you ask me it was a show put on by the Sturt team all the way through!

Reply #38052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the U18 girls results are pretty awesome but damn what about the 16 girls, North did ok but probably underacheived and from what i heard West blew some games they could have won, but with all the State Metro and Country players Norwood and Forrestville have their results certainly don't bode well for out state teams

Reply #38116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just remember Eastern and Sturt combined had a total of two S.A. Metro girls playing. To suggest S.A. Met should do well because Eastern and Sturt made the final of classics is a little short sighted.

Reply #38128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with that one! (#38128) but the country girls didnt do very well while they were at the nationals and the metro did but still....

Reply #41398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't anyone talk about the country girls? For instance Libby Harrison, she is a great skilled player and could go very far.

Reply #55259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldnt say far... but she is alright.

Reply #55846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754