SEABL finals

Conference grand finals set

Women
Knox v Ballarat
Bendigo v Sandringham

Men
Mt Gambier v Nunawading
Bendigo v Dandenong

Congrats to the teams on making it this far!

Who will win each conference and go onto win it all?

I like Knox and Sandringham in the women with Knox winning it all and Bendigo and Mt Gambier in the Men with Mt Gambier to get the title!

Topic #32521 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart did everything in their power to lose last night and were successful. Nunawading were just too composed.

Reply #434473 | Report this post

terry u  
Years ago

Geelong, cough,

Reply #434474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Dandenong last night - would have beaten any team with the way they played and if they bring that same intensity next week Bendigo will struggle to get close to them.

Reply #434476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the womens, I remember an article about half-way through the season when Sandringham had just beaten Albury - at that time, Albury's coach called it that Sandringham would go the whole way and win it all. Not even sure if Sandringham were top 4 in the East conference at the time, but he may just be right with his prediction

Reply #434477 | Report this post

GM1  
Years ago

Geelong IMO are no question the best team in the SEABL. There must be however some big issues. I don't get the Theron Wilson bit - he seems out of favour, but the public offering is he is an NBL level import.

Last year G-Town will say the Kimmani Barrett injury cost them a Championship, what is it this year?

Reply #434478 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

You have to look at the coach. The Geelong coach was out-coached last night by a superior coach. The Geelong coach is fortunate in that his club cqan recruit players. He is an average coach for that league

Reply #434480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong had to many guys who were the man...and not enough role players so team balance suffered as a result an every time a team put them under pressure during the year they went into hero ball mode.

They might need a mini clean out...get a 4 man....retire loader....base the team around Herbert and 1 gun import with everyone else filling a role.

Reply #434482 | Report this post

GM1  
Years ago

Yeah but outside of their "Big 3" of Mercer, Wilson and Herbert they are really rounded out by role players anyhow. Perhaps the mix of Mercer and Wilson doesn't work which seems likely. Geelong does need to retire Loader and find a more genuine quality big.

Reply #434485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannon could be the 5 but always coming off bench an not really playing big men's hurts him as he looked like he lacked confidence

Reply #434487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most other teams have two/3 keys guys then surround them with defenders/role players.

Bendigo: Jazz,McFarlane, garlepp

Dandy: DQ, harms -Lewis to a lesser extend

Mt G: Hill, daly - Robinson to a lesser extend

Nunawading: Macdonald & conn

Geelong: Herbert, Wilson, mercer, Cannan

Reply #434489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong, underachieved or over rated?

After looking at their last month of games I'd say they are over rated!

Reply #434490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way over rated and when the pressure was applied they choked.
With the money they are spending over recent years doubts should be raised about the coaching situation.

Reply #434509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamie is the strangest coach in SEABL, seems very arrogant and alouf, sits in the change rooms till tip off, won't talk to other coaches, complains bitterly about the refs constantly, very up down tempo.

Reply #434515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very, Very Australian of us..... The guy can coach, was a great assitant to the U/17 World Championship team - Silver Medal, has constantly made finals and despite what others think, has won a SEABL Championship not with the best talent.

Many would like to have his resume', many will never get the level he has for a young coach.

Reply #434521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic.
Another choking season next year will see him gone. He simply may be a great assistant coach at the kids level. The money that the Supercats spend on their mens program every year should have produced far more than they have done in recent years.

Reply #434529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone want to actually acknowledge the game by Dandenong last night and give them the credit they deserve for the win because by only talking about Geelong, you are doing a big disservice to the Rangers and their performance.

Reply #434531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rangers rule. Clever coaching, great team and deserved winners.
Pioneers Vs Spectres will be an intersting game. Spectres shot like shit. Will they do that agian? Pioneers could be the Geelong of the South ;)

Reply #434532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids level.... Are you on drugs, it is a f.... World Championship !!!! They are playing guys who in a year will be in the damn NBA for god sake

And he WON A SEABL CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!

Reply #434533 | Report this post

Shark Tank  
Years ago

I second the comment above. Representing your country multiple times in World Championships and being on a SILVER MEDAL winning staff outweighs and pales anything that he will ever achieve within the SEABL competition.

Even then, as stated above, he already has a championship ring !!

Reply #434538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 2 years ago he was an asst coach with the U17's world's and he did what that is relevant to the Supercats failing again?

Reply #434539 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Because he was an assistant coach once at the junior worlds, it means for the rest of his life - he officially cannot be outcoached

Reply #434541 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well let's look at some SEABL East facts from last weekend shall we?

Dandenong played very well and are an excellent side, they did win the conference last year after all. They shot well and worked to their strengths.

Geelong came together with a very new team this year and although would be shattered losing at home, they will be better next year. All season it has been consistency with this team, something that ultimately hurt them in the end IMO!

Both coaches are first rate coaches, they are tactically very, very good and put together enormous pre-game efforts in careful preparation, one has to lose and one goes on next week. Sometimes your plan works and sometimes it doesn't, that's sport isn't it?

No need to throw any babies out with the bath water here, the Supercats will bounce back and I am sure will be there abouts again next year, good luck to the Braves and Rangers next week...

Reply #434542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Marty!!

Reply #434544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love all the comments about the supercats and Jamie. imagine if people actually had any idea about what they are saying. money spent by geelong in recent years? what money?? the two imports get a salary, everyone else is NOT getting a regular pay check. that includes Cannan, Herbert and all of the other Australian players. can any other team in the SEABL say that? All credit to Dandenong, they were far too good on Saturday night and thoroughly outplayed Geelong, but lets not lose sight of the fact that the supercats won 22 games this year and made the finals in the SEABL for the 16th staight season. i guess people need something to write about though, so until next week when another two teams get beaten we will continue to ask for Jamie's head on a platter.
i seem to remember people wanting DP to be fired after not winning the whole thing last year too, now he is a brilliant coach becasue he is winning again?
arm chair experts should stay in their arm chairs....

Reply #434546 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Jamie O'Loughlin's team won the All-SEABL Championship in his first year as head coach, and made the conference grand final in 2011 and 2012. He and his coaching staff are responsible for the recruitment of players, so I would think all credit for that needs to go to him, not the club - especially on the very tight budget that is set. Geelong have had a history of recruiting some great players to the league the last few years - Muhammad, Bullock, Pichon, Mercer.

The game on Saturday night wasn't pretty, Geelong didn't seem to play their normal game and could not get a shot to drop - Dandenong on the other hand played extremely well and were hitting everything.

Players get the glory when they win, coaches get the blame when they lose! Finishing the season on three losses is certainly not what was expected but to think that the head coach should be let go because of the way they bowed out of the finals is a pretty ridiculous statement.

Great game by Montreal and the rest of the Rangers and should be an exciting match up next week against Bendigo.

Reply #434551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame that the Bendigo and Supercats coaches wont be able to go head to head again.
Level playing field and what goes around.

Reply #434554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong choked and got beat...it happens and Dandy have been a sleeper all year for mine. If Bendigo don't bring it they will get them too!...but if DQ/Lewis combo misfires they will struggle.

On Jamie, he is an arrogant bloke/coach who isn't great at some of the relationship and peer engagement mentioned and he needs to get better there for sure..thats part of his growth as a coach. He has been very lucky with his teams and the depth of talent and financial resources at his disposal compared to most of the comp, but in saying this as a coach he still gets them to compete every year, so he does a good job...I would like to see him coach a struggling team though to see how he would go..I would think he would do ok...just OK!

To call to sack him though would be dumb...the players lost the game and were outplayed on the last few games, perhaps they got ahead of themselves a fraction...and this is a coaches nightmare and job to manage.
The Cats were always in trouble for a finals run given their spread of P/T over the season was great and all carried the load, BUT many never were able to get WEEKLY reps at being in takover mode in big games to build confidence in their individual games..The coaching staff probably needed to shorten the rotation coming into finals...not sure why Friend or Loader played as much and Wilson off the bench??..they could have gone much more with the smaller lineup with Wilson and Cannon and this would have been the lineup to beat...with Medhead/Loads/Friend off the pine.

Dont feel sorry for them, they will re-load and be a threat again..the cheque book will come out.

I do also love though that Beth Davis can't carry on anymore about Geelong (they are out Beth..NO TITLES!)...I still see she had her two bobs worth as per usual here. She loves hanging it on other teams and comments strongly and wrongly at times in her posts and articles..lol, so she needs to take her lumb here from people who are allowed opinions as well...she isn't the only one with permission to critique the league.

Happy holidays Supercats!!

Reply #434576 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I definitely have a bias towards Geelong, that's no secret, but my opinions are just that - my opinions! I feel I've been quite fair to most teams this year. My "two bobs worth" was pretty much saying exactly what you did - that the players lost the game and calling for Coach O'Loughlin to be sacked is ridiculous.

I've had one foot on the Bendigo bandwagon all year (believe me, not an easy thing for a Geelong supporter to admit! :)) and will say that now Geelong are out of contention I'm hoping for a Braves win.

I don't think that I carry on about Geelong too much, I just like to correct facts where possible, some facts are correctable, and some are just opinion that no matter how much you argue about it you're never going to get anywhere, so there's not really much point!

The one thing that always amuses me though is that people seem to think Geelong have all these financial resources at their disposal - simply not the case.

Reply #434584 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Spot on Beth, I would ignore most of the pointless rants from an anon post.

Reply #434585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeing as you know there budget please put these rumours to rest once and for all.

Reply #434587 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Geelong,Mt Gambier and Bendigo have the most talent in SEABL but unfortunately Geelong didnt fire in the last two weeks. They have done very well in the playoffs previously so i dont think Jamie would be losing any sleep.I find it very surprising that Geelong only pay their imports.Role players at other clubs get at least 3k which covers there expenses so i would very surprised if they didnt get paid something.

Reply #434589 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

So The facts have we learnt from
This post ?

- Jamie is arrogant, but has proven he can coach talent and ego's (which is definitely hard to do)
- Beth loves Geelong

What are people's genuine thoughts on mt gambier ? Can they get the job done? They seem to be the lucky team that is flying under the radar

Reply #434625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you say the pioneers are lucky. They have got no credit or respect all year. Even whe they win the south, they will say its only he south, east is much stronger. They will win it all and then doubt they will be respected they will come with excuses for the am they beat and say they got lucky. The fact they can even compete coming from such a small town is an outstanding effort.

Reply #434628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pioneers are big spenders too. Make no mistake.
Beth crying us a river of how hard the Supercats are done by is a con.
Beth suggesting on here and atf.net for MVP of games is simply wrong. Commentate by all means as journo and recommend on the seabl website, post here as yourself and a seabl representative here in a dual role is incorrect.
Make a decision Beth. Post as yourself and clearly seperate your Geelong bias.
"Former Media and Communications Manager at the Geelong Supercats, so forgive my bias toward them" Doesn't cut it.

Reply #434633 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Anon you just answered your own question as to why they are lucky..

Geelong (and bendigo) clearly had/have weight on their shoulders to perform well this year.
Pioneers have spent big - yet still fly under the radar. The under dog tag is a great thing to have come finals

Reply #434635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On what authority do u have it that these teams are big spenders?

Reply #434637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my god please....

Reply #434638 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I'm not a SEABL representative, nor do I claim to be a journalist - which is why I can pretty much say whatever I want! Lol

I'm just an occasional blog writer, trying to get some more exposure for the league and I'm very appreciative of AndTheFoul.Net for allowing me to publish what is essentially my opinions of the SEABL this year. I don't vote on the formal league players of the week, I don't vote on the players of the month - so any time I suggest MY player of the week, it's purely my own opinion.

Reply #434656 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

And I do always post as myself, under my own name, so my opinions and comments are well documented and never hidden behind an anonymous alias!

Reply #434657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So representing the SEABL as a co host means you can say what you want because you are a blogger? Rubbish.
You write pieces as a 'journalist'.The blogger excuse is just a cop out. Total conflict of interest.

Reply #434658 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I wish I had a dollar for every time I read that someone's opinion was that a coach/player was arrogant!

So often arrogance is confused or mistaken for confidence...

Basketball coaches at the highest levels need one thing above all else, that is confidence, please don't confuse yourself any longer anon posters with misguided judgements, it's poor behaviour (Trolling).

Reply #434659 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Journalists get paid don't they? When I start selling my articles, I'll add journalist to my resume :)

Reply #434661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got a SEABL media pass?

Reply #434662 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Christ, can't we just be happy that we've got someone who cares enough about the league to feed followers interesting match write-ups and comments, whatever the bias entailed? Talk about being precious Anonymous..

Perhaps we should make sure that no one with an affiliation to any SEABL clubs posts on this site to avoid comments with bias. Otherwise, get over it! Beth has declared that she's not representing an official SEABL opinion - so let it slide!

Reply #434672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the Supercats web site...

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-8823-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=25341532

Reply #434674 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You do a really good job Beth and you do your bit for the love of the game.Done many years of media and never been paid a cent.Lots of freebies though :)

Reply #434676 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Write up after a loss like that on the Supercats web site says a fair bit about the character of the coach and the status of the team IMO...

No arrogance there, very down to earth and fair on all sides I would think!

Reply #434677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year a team who scrap into the finals goes onto win the whole thing, will we see the same again? Dandenong may just do it and at the same time get some sort of redemption from last years loss in the all SEABL game.

Reply #434742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754