Happy Days
Years ago

Big V GF coaches sacked

Sometimes you have to wonder what clubs are thinking.You make the Grand Final and get the bullet. Work out your vision for the club and stick to it rather than changing each year.(3 coaches in 3 years)
http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews[year]=2013&tx_ttnews[month]=09&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3641&cHash=4483247e6399f03074d28caf2360becc

Topic #32531 | Report this topic

LRD  
Years ago

You might find upon reflection that Southern Pen didn't make the GF

Reply #434595 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Actually your correct, got knocked out in the semi's still a fair effort first year in.

Reply #434596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find he's chums with the ops manager at southern pen.

Reply #434602 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Interesting...
I think that the casey women's coach is going to b getting a similar treatment.
I overheard someone who appeared involved with the club saying such things when I left game 2 of the grand final. I'm no coaching expert so I don't know what the deal is...but the teams only two years old and the guy has taken them to the grand final both years. Surely that's a pretty good effort?!
Thoughts??

Reply #434606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most unusual or illogical coaching movements have nothing to do with on court performances and 99 times out of 100 if you have a falling out or differing of opinions with the wrong person you're gone.

Reply #434607 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

And...the coaching position at keilor is advertised. So 3 out of the 4 finals coaches in div 2 women are most likely getting the boot??

Reply #434608 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

So u think its personal??

Reply #434609 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The Keilor womens coach will be coaching the men

Reply #434610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over the years I've seen far move BigV and SEABL coaches removed from their roles for nothing more than internal politics and agendas than anything to do with performance.

Reply #434611 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Ok...that's fair enough with the keilor coach.

I just think its crazy.
Is that politics going too far? Are the committees doing it just because they can?
Or is that just the way it is and coaches have to accept that regardless of how well they coach, if there's a clash of personalities then see ya later?

Reply #434612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Or is that just the way it is and coaches have to accept that regardless of how well they coach, if there's a clash of personalities then see ya later?"

Yes that's EXACTLY the situation. The smaller the club the more volatile and politically unsettled it can be, but i've seen it happen at big ones too.

Reply #434613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Usually an unhappy parent on the committee

Reply #434615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^ Yes very much so.

Reply #434616 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Well...it looks like there's a fair bit of politics going on at Casey and Southern Pen then...

Reply #434618 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Lots of coaches get sacked but not many retire...

Reply #434622 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days, you are talking about making finals in D2, you can pretty much win that with a well trained monkey coaching and a group of U16s playing... Yet he had a bloody import!!!!!

Reply #434627 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Wow Ashke...wow...
How come you haven't strolled in and cleaned up over the last few years then?

Reply #434634 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Casey's coach can actually coach, i am sure he will find another coaching gig pretty easily should Casey part ways with him.

Reply #434639 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

And Mark is a quality person off court. Would be happy to have him in my club.

Reply #434640 | Report this post

Red 49  
Years ago

^^^^ agreed and agreed

I have seen him interact with the kids at Casey which is very important. The kids there seem to love him and his women's team. They sure get involved.
He seems like a nice guy with a passion for basketball.
Good luck to him if he does get the boot...a loss to Casey for sure...

Reply #434642 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

totally agree, that being said i dont have any knowledge of the Casey situation and he could very well be coaching on for another year haha

Reply #434643 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I've also heard of coaches who got sacked because they resented committee interference in team play and selection, and said so.

Reply #434651 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Heard on the grapevine that SP YL coach sacked by email , will they have a team next season??

Reply #434652 | Report this post

LRD  
Years ago

Big difference between a coach getting "sacked" and simply not having their contract extended or being re-signed. Most coaches in BigV wouldn't be on multi year contract deals. I'd imagine majority are simply signed on as coach for 1 season.

Reply #434653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most issues revolve around politics and comittee interferance. Especially parents of kids in positions of power. Its one reason the sport lacks consistancy.
I know plenty of coaches not renewed because a single senior player with power didnt like them.
The idea of not providing long term contracts 2-3 or longer ion basketball seems stupid and the few clubs that have got long term GOOD coaches especially in YL are doing well. Look at DV YLM over the past few years. While BB clubs are run by small minded fools with selfish , personal agenda's we will always see good coaches let go after one season.

Reply #434654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melton Big V Committee preparing to look for a new Head Coach of the Men's program. Whispers down at the stable last week.

Reply #434671 | Report this post

Highlighter  
Years ago

Last anon, what happened to Grant?

Reply #434678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Sth Pen YL Women coach been to Westernport, Mornington, Kid played at Westernport, Frankston and Sth Pen (3 clubs in 6 years) - good luck with that one!

Reply #434680 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Is there such words as stability and continuity in basketball???

Reply #434684 | Report this post

red87  
Years ago

Hey, sacking / replacing coaches has gone on for ages and so has interference by committee people looking to protect their own.

The problem is that those committee people then dump rubbish on the coach, about their approach, training or handling of players, to cover up the real situation.

There is one Div 1 women's team that's had, I think, 4 or 5 coaches in the past 4 or 5 years. Can't always be the coaches fault!

One thing all of us coaches know, your only good as long as you have committee support or, most times, if you win a championship.

Reply #434695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melton not looking for new coaches for either the senior or youth mens teams. Expect a press release here next week.

Reply #434704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which team has that track record Red??

Reply #434713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soooo true 695. Its amazing how many committee ppl are there just for their own. Interestingly normally its the smaller, struggling clubs in sa that attract these types. These ppl then come up with conspiracies as to why they cant develop any success at their club or retain real coaching/playing talent. Poaching, association not supporting them, state coaches etc etc are some of the excuses they use.

Reply #434717 | Report this post

red87  
Years ago

have a look at hawthorn women?

Remember hearing Justin Nelson and those guys talking about it during their season preview.....

Reply #434748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have a look at Hume champ men, they dont even have a chair there anymore. Now they have a washed up has been stepping up. Seems like the its all about who your mates are and who you go clubbing with now.
What a joke that place is.

Reply #434757 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its all about ego's rather than looking at the big picture and what is in the best interests of the association.Happening across the board in all sports.

Reply #434772 | Report this post

Birdman33  
Years ago

Interesting comment by anonymous having another crack at a kid(s) leaving Frankston. If you knew the slightest bit about basketball you might understand that kids want to play at the highest level possible. The Frankston junior program which was once strong, is now sadly in dissaray relying on quantity rather than quality. Mornington are growing and are becoming stronger. Sthn Pen is also growing despite limited talent pools. Stat wise Frankston had 9% of teams at VC/VC Reserve level this season (1 VC), Mornington had 8% (0 VC)and Sthn Pen had 18% (2VC). Interesting to note 2 Frankston coaches are now at Western Port, more talent leaving Frankston, maybe they were offered coaching jobs at Duke??????

Reply #435527 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

So Werribee have advertised all coaching positions for 2014 - is that normal for the Devils or is there a clean out after the finals failures?

Reply #435812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devils will struggle in SCM next year with Oswald unless they get a new coach and spend $$$ to bring in talent

Reply #435817 | Report this post

bring it  
Years ago

Casey Coach was dead man walking half way through the season. The replacing coach was already signed up at that stage. Bloody shame the guys is a great coach and two GF in 2 years is a good record that most would be happy with.

Reply #444270 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

No Oswald no Devils so they will need to good imports to compete plus spending dollars on brining in more senior talent otherise them and sherbrooke will fight it out for the wooden spoon

Reply #444274 | Report this post

Lick Mine  
Years ago

Rumour has it Tim Parker is getting shown the door at Casey Cavs, any truth ?

Reply #444482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who hell is Tim Parker?

Reply #444504 | Report this post

JustforLaughs  
Years ago

Birdman33, 435527, Anonymous,
I have nothing at all against Frankston but over the past few years I have seen them fall away from the very highly regarded strong club they used to be (juniors). I don't believe all of this is due to politics, but I have no doubt it is part of it. I think you will find that the smaller clubs; Southern Peninsula, Mornington, Chelsea, Western Port, and to a lesser extent Casey have all grown substantially over the last few years meaning there better players don't automatically head down the road to Frankston.

Bringit ; #444270

As for coaches being Sacked or Not re contracted I doubt highly any Club in its right mind would have a coach lined up ready to go mid season for the following season, especially with a team that is heading for another finals birth. surely if there was something so wrong that they had gone down that path they would replace him there and then and not wait till the end of the year.

Just my thoughts.

Reply #444619 | Report this post

Lick Mine  
Years ago

Just For Laughs- Poor Call. that post just proves you are against Frankston. That post is just utter rubbish. Your relating everything to Politics and quite frankly has nothing to do with it. You are in the wrong industry.

Reply #444701 | Report this post

Justforlaughs  
Years ago

Please explain. You are a long way off with your assumption.

Reply #444705 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melton is laughable appointing that washed up old man Mick Downie as coach after having maybe one of the best young coaches in Victoria. Is a major downgrade IMO.

Proves their unprofessionalism and serious lack of direction if a coach who single handedly wins them their first men's championship walks out after 1 season.

Reply #444706 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Cant see it improving at Frankston if their new U/12s are only training once a week!!!

Reply #444720 | Report this post

bring it  
Years ago

JustforLaughs 444619

I`d say it was on pretty good authority that it was done halfway through the year. The new Coach was approached by another association mid year to coach and said he had been given the top job at Casey. A few months latter what do you know he is the head coach and the coach of the year is shown the door....

Reply #447971 | Report this post

Justforlaughs  
Years ago

Bring It 447971

Can I ask who the new coach out at Casey is then.

They have been keeping pretty quite. I know a couple of there players and they arnt even talking about anything down there.

Just curious.

Reply #450599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Parker is the new coach, the guy was looking after there women`s MMBL program.

Reply #451835 | Report this post

Justforlaughs  
Years ago

Yeah just got that confirmed.

Apparently he has been at the club a long time.

Not sure of his coaching credentials.

Time will tell whether he is up to it or not.

Reply #452760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word on the street is the Coburg D2 mens coach is about to be relieved of duties. Seems to have told one to many porkies at the club and has been caught.

Reply #452840 | Report this post

DontAskMe  
Years ago

Scrolling through this feed and noticed the fact that people couldn't work out why the casey coach was sacked? Played against them last year and wasn't very hard to scout out his poor plays and tactics (give it to Mokky or the tall blonde girl).. He had the best team in the league by far in both seasons but poor coaching cost them (2years running now)

Reply #461966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So after the weekends results and the confirmation they will miss the finals after competing well the last two years was the coaching move at Casey a good one? HELL NO.

Three new sub par teams come into the division plus the top three go up to Div 1. So In a weaker division Casey still went backwards despite having a solid list

Coach learning that it`s a lot different at BIG V level to MMBL.

#Cavsnation

Reply #481851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the Cav's women played recently and could not believe how poor they are.

Seem to lack cohesion and anything resembling a game plan or organisation.

Reply #481873 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Solid list? Questionable list at best.
Every team in D2 has a go to player:
Shep - Barton
WP - Thompson or Cooper
Chelsea - Lovejoy or Wilkins
Melb Uni - Mackenzie
Blackburn - Bohanna
Etc etc
Casey lack that player which they need badly, no player in double figures this week and they only put up 45...
They really need an offensive weapon and they lost that in both Mokky & Swain from last season.

Been competitive against all the top teams but just that one player short of being a contender
Nothing to do with coaching, just the roster in my opinion.

Reply #481897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The intensity and back court pressure that they have displayed the last few years is all but gone. If they still had that they would be covering for the "Go to Player"

Doesn`t look like th eplayers are inspired anymore.

Mocky or not they should still be doing better in a weaker league then they are.

Reply #481916 | Report this post

Justforlaughs  
Years ago

Some interesting post on here now.

I watched a few of there better games and definitely some of there games later on that were not so flash.

It would appear that they are still trying to figure out how to play with each other within their offences. I also noticed all of their plays are very different compared to last year.

Just from spectating it would appear that the coach is trying to get his players to think more than be robots, and at the moment it is definitely not going so well.

Especially compared to last season where it was very robotic and very easy to read.

Time will tell if they continue with him how far he can get his list. There is some potential, it just looks like they have lacked some teaching in game fundamentals in the past.

Good luck to him I say. Nice to see a fresh face around the big v circles.

Reply #482744 | Report this post

Justforlaughs  
Years ago

Some interesting post on here now.

I watched a few of there better games and definitely some of there games later on that were not so flash.

It would appear that they are still trying to figure out how to play with each other within their offences. I also noticed all of their plays are very different compared to last year.

Just from spectating it would appear that the coach is trying to get his players to think more than be robots, and at the moment it is definitely not going so well.

Especially compared to last season where it was very robotic and very easy to read.

Time will tell if they continue with him how far he can get his list. There is some potential, it just looks like they have lacked some teaching in game fundamentals in the past.

Good luck to him I say. Nice to see a fresh face around the big v circles.

Reply #482745 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Justforlaughs

Results speak for themselves.
Perhaps playing more "robotic" might work for them if the results of the previous two years are to go by compared to this.
As for lacking fundamentals, again, considering the previous years success in a tougher competition, that argument seems pointless.

Lack of a "go to" player comes down to recruiting as well, although I read earlier on that the coach wanted an even spread throughout his team, without that "go to" player they've had in the past, so it seems designed.

Reply #482789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Casey have "sacked" a fair few coaches over the years

Reply #526867 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

They haven't had any success since the last coach was sacked anyway.
The decision makers down there have a lot to answer for.

Reply #526874 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754