Anonymous
Years ago

SEABL Conference Finals

So who do people think will win?

It is Mt Gambier Pioneers v Nunawading and Bendigo v Dandenong.

I think it will be the Pioneers who will be too strong on their home court with too many options on the offesive end for Nunawading to contain and they will be able to limit McDonanld and Conn at the other end enough to get the win.

I think Bendigo will be too strong on their home Court. I have an incling that Dandenong played their "grand final" last week. Jazz has been down for awhile and is due for a standout game.

That will produce and Mt Gambier v Bendigo all seabl grand final. I think that Mt Gambier will prevail. They trounced Bendigo on their home floor in the last round of the regular season. While I expect it will be much closer this time.

Topic #32554 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conn will destroy Ben Allen and Titus Robinson. McDonald will have his way with Daly and Sutton/Burdon.

Bendigo will end Dandenong's dream run. Too much offensive firepower

Spectres v Bendigo. Bendigo get it.

Reply #434864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo owe the Spectres from a few seasons ago. They want it bad. It will be a test for the mount to see if they can continue on. The Spectres surely couldnt shoot as badly as the last time they met.

Reply #434865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo are a powerhouse always have been

Reply #434870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong supercats

Reply #434871 | Report this post

TheMan  
Years ago

Wtf is a supercat?

Reply #434879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trolls!

Reply #434881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to Andrew Filmer who is the referee on the Bendigo v Dandenong game - tip off 8pm Saturday night at Bendigo Stadium.

He is the only SA ref on grand final games.

Reply #434883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As he was the only SA referee selected on the finals panel it's probably hard for anyone else to get a gig

Reply #434885 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

MT G will have too much on offence for Macdonald & Co.

Put simply MT G bigs are a tough cover from Conn/Cameron as they force them to the perimeter where both struggle to guard the pick n pop game which is Allen/Warbouts bread & butter which hurts more than what Conn/Cameron can give at the other end.
The pick n pop game is the key...as if it starts working it will force the guards to over commit and thus open up shots for Burdon/Hill/Daly.

For Nunawading I can't see Macdonald having another tough night but he can’t do it alone & Gonzaga hasn’t fired trouble the score sheet except for fouls in the last 4 weeks so he needs 15 & 10 for them to win.

Mt G by 8pts as to much needs to go right for Nunawading to beat them

Bendigo Vs Dandy

It all comes down to Jazzmarr…if he fires they win if he has his struggle Dandy & DQ might just sneak a win…that said DQ will need a 30 & 10 night to get it done.
Dandy might live and die by the 131 zone to force fringe guys to take shots as 1on1 they can’t guard the big 3.
Jazzmarr has shown he can get it done against Dandy and in finals so I’m backing him to step it up and have a 30+pts night and get them to the Championship.

Bendigo by 12pts

Reply #434887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's everyone tip for the womens?

Reply #434888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is a super, cat..

clearly

Reply #434889 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

OMG...

Super = wonderful, fantastic, great, marvellous, fabulous, tremendous, excellent, very good.

Cat = feline, hunter, 'in-the-hat, -attack, 'king of the jungle', Tiger, Leopard, Lion, Jaguar, domestic, wild, ferrel, short hair, long hair, Egyptian, Moggy, Bobtail, Asian, Arabian, Bengal, Bonbay, Burmese, Chartreux, Cornish Rex, Cyprus, Dragon-Li, European, German, Havana Brown, Highlander, Japanese Bobtail, Korat, Manx, Mynx, Napolean, Oriental, Persian, Russian, Blue, Savannah, Siamese, Somali, Sphynx, Turkish Angora and York Chocolate just to name a few.

Reply #434891 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Women's - Easy, the club that spent the most money = KNOX

Reply #434892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading v Dandenong for the All SEABL crown!

Reply #434896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont think Knox would be spending much more than most other top SEABl teams.

Reply #434901 | Report this post

Which is stronger a Supercat or Wildcat?

Reply #434905 | Report this post

Bearcat vs Supercat vs Wildcat?

Reply #434906 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Surely it depends on how wild the cat is, and how super the other cat is.
One would think the bearcat is the weaker of the 3.

Brisbane Super BearCats could be the new nbl side

Reply #434925 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I like the ring of it 'SuperBearCats, bring 'em on...

Imagine the cheerleaders, awesome?!

Reply #434928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt Gambier with the last second win over Nunawading!
Great win by Pioneers, great performance by Brad Hill.

Dandenong go on the road and beat Bendigo!
Rangers now back to back conference champs. Tony Lewis and Andrew Harms were massive.

Set to be a great All SEABL Final

Dandenong have to be slight favourites with the home court advantage...

Reply #435155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt G will win if hill is ok to play.......dandy been on great run but think it shows east wasn't as strong as people talked about early on.

Reply #435156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South was absolutley weaker than the East

Reply #435157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both conferences had 3 legit teams for the championship. The 4th-6th placed teams in each conference were a touch behind. Overall very even. In fact the SEABL clubs should all be congratulated for producing such an even league! 15 teams and anyone could beat anyone on any given night. Great league.

Reply #435158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all those who were critical of Geelong over the past couple of weeks - did Bendigo choke tonight? Bendigo lost 2 of their last 3 matches and just got up over Geelong in the last qtr a couple of weeks ago, and all on their home court; seems their form wasn't too great coming into finals.

Congratulations to Dandenong on winning - after watching their performance last week in Geelong, how well they played and their shots were dropping, I said that if Dandenong played at that same level they would account for Bendigo. Their shooting percentages aren't quite as high as last week, but they are a solid team and Lewis stepped up in the finals.

Reply #435161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Bendigo choked. 2 points from the bench wont get you a GF win. Bendigo like Geelong have been leaders all season and when the crunch arrived they were both found wanting. Bendigo only lead in the first quarter of last nights game. Geelong got shut down in the last quarter easily. Big difference.

Reply #435168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont support any SEABL team, but that travel call on Garlep in the final 10 secs was THE WORST call I have ever seen.

Reply #435179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither Bendigo or Geelong "choked". Both teams were beaten by a better team on the day, Dandenong, who lets not forget are the reigning conference champions!

If you have watched Garlepp throughout the season you would know that he does have a habit of moving or changing pivot foot, but often doesn't get called. What is more of interest is his reaction that cost Bendigo any chance to win...

Two point from the Bendigo bench is about there season average. Hard to score if you don't play or get to shoot... Please don't blame the bench or one travel call for the loss.

Dandenong beat both 22-6 teams when it counted.

Rangers, back to back!!

Reply #435182 | Report this post

terry u  
Years ago

Garlepps travel was crap. His reaction cost the braves the w.

Reply #435187 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, well done to the Pioneers and Rangers, should be a cracking final for the all SEABL Championship, Rangers for me in a tight one...

The league is a great competition and I am in favour of conferences if they suit the overall system and work to help out teams financially or the competition flourish, however can we suggest any improvements here?

Would the SEABL benefit from throwing away the confeence based format in the finals and place the top 6 or 8 into a finals pool, playing three home and away games in a finals series according to overall win/loss records?

Maybe give any team a chance to play any other team in the SEABL final, not leave the conferences to determine the best teams without the chance of teams in the same conference playing off in the big one??

Also, shouldn't all the finals matches be best of 3 or 5 games....?

Reply #435220 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ Bear....a key reason for the finals not being over 3/5 games could be due to Travel expenses etc on short notice for some clubs and the difficulting that might arise in organising flights etc.

I.e Mt G has no flight out on a Sunday, so you can only play 1 game on a friday night.

Reply #435221 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Really like the conference system as it adds to chatter around which conference is stronger etc.

Even thou each team plays twice still think it is a great feature of the league.

Reply #435222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think there is a good opportunity to goto a 15 team league with top 8 finals system the same as AFL?

Reply #435231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting comments by the SEABL...

Uncomfortable as it is, some questions need to be asked of Bendigo.

Do the Braves have the right role players around their stars? Are they deep enough? Do the bench players get enough of a run? Bendigo's reserves combined for 24 minutes of playing time last night compared to 49 minutes for the Dandenong bench. Do they have the right import combination?

There are plenty of positives for the Braves no doubt about it. Ivan McFarlin is a player that any team can be built around is a fantastic culture guy. Tom Garlepp can’t be denied for his passion and is probably in the top two Australian bigs in the league. But the biggest question is why can’t this team win titles? That’s the question Ben Harvey and Bendigo fans will be left asking themselves this morning, and they might not like the answers they come up with.

Reply #435271 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Is it the coach?....or spending on the top 3 rather than getting 2 stars then filling around them with some more depth?

Interesting questions to be asked of bendigo!

Reply #435273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the money that has been spent aquiring this team to win it all Harvey will be wondering what it takes to get it done.
Garlepp needs to do some serious soul searching too. Who knnow what the Braves could have done if he hadn't imploded.

Reply #435274 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Over analysis in the case of any sport, trying to assess a team and how it's season didn't pan out like they coach and others intended it to, can really do ones head in.

I am sure Bendigo, like most others in contention, did all they could to put together a team and system best placed (in their minds) to win or at least have an opportunity to win the competition.

What happens during a season and during the finals in this case are often intangibles that we can sit back and wonder about as distant critics saying 'what if', or 'if only'...

They, like others in the past had a fair crack and just fell short, bring on next season, this is sport and the uncertainty is what makes it so enjoyable IMO.

Reply #435278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Bear.

The focus really should be on the achievement of the winning teams rather than trying to attack the losing teams! They didn't set out to lose and a basket one way or the other in Bendigos two finals would have produced VERY different outcomes!

Great work Dandenong and Mt Gambier!!

Reply #435279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shoulda, woulda, coulda - the lament of losing teams in every sport.

For every fairytale win there has to be an upset loss.

I don't think Bendigo losing really rates as as an upset though since Dandenong has shown many times they were as good as any other team on their day while Bendigo has shown themselves to be vulnerable several times.

The grand final is likely to be a cracker regardless.

Reply #435281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't think Bendigo losing really rates as as an upset"
So I guess Garlepps implosion that gave the Rangers 4 shots from the line and the win doesn't rate at all.
What utter bollocks.

Reply #435284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Garlepp "explosion" is a different subject.

He is a hot head and has displayed this right throughout the season, this time it bit him and his team on the ar$e.

Reply #435286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcat
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m59z0u4RSr1qjkw3po1_400.jpg
Wildcat
http://www.electricscotland.com/nature/images/BM-wildcat-076.jpg
Supercat
http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/attachments/general-experimental-aviation-questions/25476d1374678321-difference-between-bobcat-supercat-oddanimals067.jpg

Reply #435287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

garlepp comes across as a jerk. couldnt happen to a better bloke!!

Reply #435289 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

http://bite-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/meerkat_basketball_meerkat-580x331.jpg

Reply #435290 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, I know a Meerkat isn't really a Cat, but couldn't help it they are so cute...

Reply #435292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I guess Garlepps implosion that gave the Rangers 4 shots from the line and the win doesn't rate at all.

They only hit 3 of 4 & won by 6 with a total of 85 points so I think there might have been a few other factors contributing to the loss.

Reply #435295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not let specualtion get in the way of someone's interpretation of what actually happened.
The Addy sums it up.
"Braves vice-captain Kevin Probert (15 points, five assists) led a Bendigo fightback with two massive three-pointers.With the crowd spurring on the home team, Bendigo charged from six points down to only one behind with 25 seconds to play.Dandenong's Daequon Montreal (16 points) halted the run with two clutch free-throws. But it gave Bendigo the ball and a glimmer of hope. Jazz Ferguson (16 points) popped a long-range attempt, but missed, and the ball came to Tom Garlepp with 11 seconds to play.

The big man needed a three to take the game to overtime, but he was instead called for a travel and the crowd exploded. Garlepp lost his cool and was ejected from the game. Montreal was gifted four shots from the charity stripe and sent the Rangers into the championship decider."

Reply #435301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754