Anonymous
Years ago

NH: Abbott's Internet Filter situation

Confirmed.

THE Coalition will adopt an internet filter for mobile phones and ISPs similar to that being implemented in the UK which will stop the transmission of objectionable material unless a user opts out.

However a user will have to be 18 years or over to get the block removed - which means the block will be compulsory on devices and computers owned by children and teenagers.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/government/coalition-announces-internet-filter/story-fn4htb9o-1226711982787

Topic #32558 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

tosser

Reply #434910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/malcolmturnbull?hc_location=stream

He denies it.

Reply #434912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.afr.com/p/national/liberal_internet_filter_blunder_4s0oyIsy3TDwdoHekSjs1O

Lies

Reply #434914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not accurate its an opt in filter. Confirmed by the great man himself. Liberal will never attempt to filter the internet for all.

Reply #434915 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

He doesnt deny it he BACKFLIPS because its caused quite the stir.

Reply #434916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turnbull earlier confirmed on Triple J the mandatory internet filter was their policy:

The plans were slammed on social media, but Opposition communications spokesman Malcolm Turnbull appeared to defend the policy during an interview on triple j's Hack program.

"It's essentially installing that software either in the smart phone or in the modem as a default which you can switch off," he said.

However, Mr Turnbull later tweeted that he had only read the policy a short time before the interview, and was merely doing his best to "make sense of it".

He released a statement a short time afterwards saying the policy document was "poorly worded".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-05/no-internet-filter-says-turnbull/4939156

They can't even get their lies straight!

Reply #434917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turnbull's NBN alternative is a croc too.

Reply #434919 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Really? Who cares if it's voluntary or not? So it means you can't check out imagefap.com until you lift the filter. At least the government isn't sending your emails and phone logs to the NSA.

Reply #434921 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, Don't have to send it - data mining via google, facebook. Remember google have >90% of the traffic. If you don't use Explorer, you're probably on Chrome. Wouldn't trust firefox or safari. ISPs are being concentrated. If you don't want someone else to know don't use the internet.

Reply #434922 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The desperation from the Left in the past few days has been laughable but I never thought they'd infiltrate this site with their biased and hypocritical agenda.

Reply #434923 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I do remember a series of postings about ads that pop up reflecting google search history on home and laptop pc. Something about coaches and u12 girls. It isn't leftist - its total control. Notice those new ads with little triangles lately. Information, no matter what, is power (and money). It's not about filtering - its capture - total capture. Evil is as evil does. We just need to recognise it.I say bring back the old analogue party telephone line - at least you knew who was listening.

Reply #434926 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

O........kay......o.0

Reply #434927 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

General trend amongst IT crowd is back from Chrome to Firefox, not trusting vendors who have more pieces in play (Google, Microsoft and Apple).

Reply #434930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so shattered we wont be getting the NBN :(

Reply #434932 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Rather than looking at individual policies why arent we focussing on the bigger picture....the state of the economy and who is the better party to get us where we need to be. Both parties are going to have policies people dont like and both parties lie(carbon tax anyone?)...

Reply #434937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was the original post from? Krudds office?

Reply #434942 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

From Malcolm Turnbull's Facebook page:

"The Coalition has never supported mandatory internet filtering. Indeed, we have a long record of opposing it and supporting Internet freedom.

The policy released today wrongly indicated we supported an opt out system of internet filtering. That is not our policy and never has been.

The correct position is that the Coalition will encourage mobile phone and internet service providers to make available software which parents can choose to install on their own devices to protect their children from inappropriate material."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Reply #434945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But then there's:

The Coalition has made an embarrassing backdown from a commitment that it would require internet service providers to censor "adult content", saying a policy document it released two days before the election was "in error".
On Thursday afternoon the Coalition's $10 million "Policy to Enhance Online Safety for Children" seemed to resurrect an Australian internet filter.

Under the last-minute plan - which was not accompanied by any press release or announcement - Australian mobile phone and internet service providers would be required to censor '‘adult content'’ on the internet unless users opt out.
Advertisement
But by Thursday evening, the Coalition’s communications spokesman, Malcolm Turnbull, announced the policy had been changed so that users would opt in if they wanted the filter.
‘‘All I can say to you is mistakes happen,’’ Mr Turnbull said. ‘‘As soon as I became aware of the policy having been released in the form it was I took steps to correct it.’’
However, at 5.30pm on Thursday, Mr Turnbull had defended the opt-out feature of the surprise policy during an appearance on Triple J, saying "What [our policy] does is essentially install that software either in the smartphone or in the modem as a default which you can switch off but then that's at your call."
In announcing the opt-out filter's demise, Mr Turnbull later tried to explain his earlier defence of the "incorrect" policy.
‘‘I read the policy for the first time when it was released this afternoon,’’ he said.
‘‘I defended it as best I could and then as soon as I had an opportunity to ensure that it was withdrawn and corrected I did.’’
The policy had received the tick of approval from Opposition Leader Tony Abbott and other senior Liberals before being released.
Mr Abbott has admitted he read and signed off on the election policy document, saying the Coalition would impose a blanket internet filter on Australians.
"I read the policy last night, quickly it has to be said, and I thought it was a reference to the ability of people to get PC-based filter that’s what I thought it was," Mr Abbott said.
“I’m sorry it was badly worded.”
Mr Abbott defended the quality and detail of the rest of the Coalition’s policies after the debacle was revealed.
“In this particular instance, there was a failure of quality of control.”
“There was a badly worded sentence or two in the document that went out or earlier today. The fact is we think there should be commercially available filters for PC and mobile phone users to opt in to if they wish.”
He clarified the Coalition's stance, saying: “We don’t support internet filtering, we’ve never supported internet filtering.”
The Rudd government was the only government to support internet filtering, he said.
At the time of the policy's launch, Liberal MP Paul Fletcher, chairman of the Coalition’s online safety working group, had told Fairfax the policy was ‘‘about protecting children’’.
Liberal MP Alex Hawke, on Thursday afternoon said: ‘‘Our point is for the welfare of children going forward, where people aren’t necessarily up to date.’’
Mr Turnbull said the Coalition had supported the rights of consumers to install their own net filtering software, but had long opposed compulsory filters.
‘‘These filters don't work,’’ he said. ‘‘They're so easy to get around.’’
‘‘One of my key criticisms of the Conroy filter was it created a false sense of security.’’
One senior Liberal was seemingly caught unawares by the internet filter policy: ‘‘That's news to me,'' shadow treasurer Joe Hockey said in an appearance on Channel 10’s The Project.
"I will check it out’’.
The announcement and immediate reversal came almost a year after Labor abandoned a mandatory internet filter, which the Coalition opposed.
Senior Labor minister Chris Bowen said the policy "farce" showed why the Coalition couldn't be trusted in government.
"It's about trusting a political party which can put out major policies, major initiatives in the dying hours of an election campaign, and what that means about their judgment," he told ABC TV's Lateline.

Clear as mud.

Reply #434950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The fact is we think there should be commercially available filters for PC
And there have been for many, many years.

For the anon speaking about government surveillance above, you can get a pretty comprehensive run through by Schneier here. Australia (as well as Canada, UK, NZ) are complicit in all this surveillance.

Reply #434954 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What are you still unclear about?

Reply #434955 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Liberal Paul Fletcher:

"What we intend to do is work with the industry to arrive at an arrangement where the default is that there is a filter in the home device, the home network, that is very similar to the filters that are available today ... The key thing is it is an opt-out, so it will be open to the customer to call up and say, 'look, I don't want this’, and indeed, we will work with the industry to make this a streamlined and efficient process," Fletcher told the site.
And also from Delimiter:
It is believed that the online safety policy released yesterday was developed by Liberal MP Paul Fletcher, a former telecommunications executive with Optus who has assisted Turnbull with communications portfolio work. However, it is believed that Turnbull’s office did not see the policy released yesterday before it was released.

Reply #434956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they plan to enforce a filter, just didn't want anyone to know until after the election.

Reply #434959 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So it seems that the people that spoke about it had either not read the policy properly, or the policy was not worded correctly, or both. Whatever the case, they have now clarified what the policy is actually about.

Reply #434962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes why would your Shadow Communications Minister need to read or know about a policy regarding internet filtering while trying to sell a mess of a broadband policy which at best is the broadband equivalent of the Southern Expressway.

Reply #434969 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The point is, they have got it right now so what is the big deal? If you're one of these people that think these gaffes matter, or being able to answer a question 100% correctly when put on the spot actually means something, please don't vote.

Reply #434971 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jaymz, is that you?

Reply #434999 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The Situation, this wasn't just a gaffe. Some people within the Libs deliberately tried to sneak this through just before the election. Yes it has been corrected, but only because people made a fuss about it. Otherwise, this would be Lib policy right now and the wowsers on the religious right would've been able to claim a mandate to introduce it after the election.

I'm glad people have pulled them up on this. Fortunately Turnbulll is in charge of this portfolio and we know from his past criticism of Conroys filter that he is opposed to blanket censorship. I'd say he'd have good reason to be pretty angry right now because its very clear that someone has changed the policy without informing his office and he has had to go on radio to spruik a policy he would never have agreed with! I'll be watching with interest after the election to see if Fletcher keeps his job assisting Turnbull!

Reply #435011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing that is for certain is that it won't be as bad as Isaac's hoops.com.au filter.

Reply #435021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Situation, this wasn't just a gaffe. Some people within the Libs deliberately tried to sneak this through just before the election. Yes it has been corrected, but only because people made a fuss about it. Otherwise, this would be Lib policy right now and the wowsers on the religious right would've been able to claim a mandate to introduce it after the election.

Bingo, but it's in Cussy's interests to talk this deceitful act down as a gaffe, they're in damage control.

It's a very sneaky act and clearly the far-right trogs in the Libs were behind it being buried in the announcement and have made Turnbull look like an idiot.

Why this Paul Fletcher hasn't been made to walk the plank yet I don't know.

Reply #435029 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Pretty gutless move there, anonymous #029. Feel better?

Reply #435031 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Isaac's post "Jaymz, is that you?" classic!

I'll be voting Greens

Reply #435036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The situation, are you a wildcats fan?

Reply #451210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abbot and Costello, ha, need we say more?!

Reply #451213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WE will deliver 25 Mb to the home!!!
Oh no we cant. PLus we need another $11Bill to deliver what we cant deliver. " WE can't deliver 25MB to the home.
4K TV (google it if you don't know what it is) requires 25MB in its own right. Malcolm is a dead set wanker.
Oh and we will stop the boats and we will charge everyone $6 when they visit the doctor and we wont approve the Gonski report and we can stop the boats!!!

Reply #451216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only things he has stopped is modern internet, action on climate change and cars. He's simply hidden the boats.

Can't believe people voted for this junk government.

We have a budget emergency!! Oh now we are in power we don't, let's beg to get infrastructure projects off the books and give states gonski money no strings attached.

Liars and cheats.

Reply #451219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754