Anonymous
Years ago

Badly behaved parents.

You'd think with all the focus now on good sportsmanship that parent behavior would be on the improve, well its not.
In the association my kids play in, the Eltham comp or EDJBA things seem to be getting worse.
Every week i witness parents berating refs, most of which are barely 16 yo kids themselves, abusing opposition players, coaches, the lot, its got to stop.
My question is what are the clubs doing about educating the parents about the code of conduct for spectators and policing bad behavior?

Topic #32569 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham has a terrible reputation for this. I have heard (third hand) some abuse/threats from people involved at both a domestic and Rep level on coaches, refs and administration that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. The association continues to turn a blind eye constantly.

They are not alone though. Knox, Dandenong, Mckinnon are other examples.

BV need to stand up and either sanction the associations or pull their afilliation. Zero tolerance in my opinion.

Reply #435061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the worse offenders in thr club ive just left WERE on the committee or exerted influence over those on the committee. Some clubs are just a pooor environment and culture and wont change. Alot of it is about the socioeconomics of the re region the club is based in.

Reply #435062 | Report this post

Viking.  
Years ago

Well a Referee Manager was assaulted by a spectator and injured a few weeks ago after the spectator was asked to stop abusing the referee's.

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING, hope the spectator gets banned for life.

Reply #435064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to make sure we don't confuse things. it is the eastern districts junior basketball association (EDJBA), Eltham plays in it alongside bulleen, Warrandyte, Collingwood, Blackburn/Nunawading, doncaster and a range of domestic clubs.

it is a different setup to most other associations. it is the largest domestic competition outside of the vjbl in the country

Reply #435065 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

my thoughts (in general nothing to do with above scenarios mentioned) -

kids should never be reffing age groups older than what they are - too much intimidation.

adult coaches should know better - if a ref gets it wrong, should be no different than if a junior player gets their lay up wrong.

need to accept developing refs are like players

parents - tow the line - you will get what you give - lot of good junior refs have left because of the shite unloaded - would you be happy if a customer spoke to your child like that at subway ?

too many ferals

families put in a lot of time / money etc on playing - very disappointing when you get a ref that is not up to it and gets it wrong ALL the time - so refs have an obligation.

too many agendas - maybe we all need to sit back and just "have a game"

Reply #435066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've actually witnessed parents telling supervisors its their right to question the referee's from the sidelines and that they shouldn't be doing it if they cant handle criticism or get it right, mind you it was U12's and the refs were probably 16 or 17.
I walked away absolutely dumbfounded. No wonder associations can't keep referee's interested, as said above, would they like their kids copping a mouth full at Coles?
The BV spectator code of conduct is crystal clear about behavior and its time the clubs did more to weed out feral parents and have zero tolerance to this problem.
Yes there is a problem in the EDJBA.

Reply #435070 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

BSA have a Code of Conduct for spectators. I haven't seen it happen, but I know the refs can issue a Tech foul on that side's coach if it is too bad.

There are some funny parents though. One "gentlemen" who when any of our players was shooting FT's would scream out "ARRRR--CHOOOOOOOO" to try to put them off. We had some FT's and so anticipating the antic removed a tissue in preparation for him and held it up. He did it on the first FT, but people cracked up and there were even a few others joining in holding up tissues. He suddenly lost his urge to "sneeze"

Reply #435073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive approached my clubs officials about this problem and asked what they are doing to control and educate parents on the behavior code and they looked blankly at me.
They don't want to know about anything beyond what team their kid is in or what team they get to coach.

Reply #435075 | Report this post

Viking.  
Years ago

We don't have a director of coaching, we just have a parent as an administrator, no guidance and to be honest the committee has a poor attitude to our Referee's and clearly doesn't get the whole code of conduct thing and respect to officials stuff by the way they carry on.

Reply #435082 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Don't mean to be rude, but with the large number of interstate 'posts' coming on Hoops now, can we have a 'filter' or separate 'heading topic'?

We have enough trouble in SA with this sort of thing (bad parents), plus (don't mention) refs, but lately there seems to be a lot of whinging from interstate which I just don't care about, or get affected by.

Reply #435108 | Report this post

agrid  
Years ago

So SA is the centre of the basketball universe?

Reply #435116 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

it's a public forum - just read and leave if you don't like / not interested.

all posters welcome here - keeps it alive !!!

Reply #435117 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Haha I remember Eltham being our biggest interstate rivals in juniors and them being dirty as hell and the parents trying to start fights haha classic its still happening

Reply #435119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing worse than parents screaming at the kids from the sideline in a maniacal angry state because they just got out rebounded etc. TBH its a massive issue in all sports kids drop out at the first rebellious age to escape the crazy sideline parent syndrome. Parents need to leave white line fever to the kids.

I've seen first hand how badly parent can hold back talent by being to involved - actually telling a child to be a ball hog makes your child Scott No-Friends people. You love you child, the team want to beat him up.

When your child drops out or under achieves, have a little think about ENCOURAGING your actions truly are or were. There's a huge difference between pressure to diamond and behavior to implode.

Reply #435124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor behavior is either taught or tolerated.
As parents, coaches, players, spectators and administrators we all need to take responsibility for our actions.
Ask yourselves this: what are we teaching others by our actions? what are we tolerating by our actions?

Do something about it, just like racism, poor sportsmanship and bad behavior is equally damaging to young minds.

Reply #435125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or parents taking their kids stats from the sidelines then comparing their stats with their kid with other kids in the team. OR worse still bribing kids for getting better stats with cash rewards. LOL then they wonder why no one wants to play with their kids or work with them later in life!

Reply #435128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents with stop watches clocking their kids court time, then the mad stare at the coach across the court, Checking stats, booing.

Reply #435131 | Report this post

Blowfly  
Years ago

"They are not alone though. Knox, Dandenong, Mckinnon are other examples."
Why single out these Associations along with Eltham? Is it at Representative level or Domestic?
What makes them so bad?

Reply #435223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Hanging Round you are a TROLL, stay under that rock please!

Reply #435249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know this is an old thread but thought I would just add a line or 2. I would not say it is not badly behaved parents but a badly behaved sport. My kids play in the edjba as well as myself being a coach. I have been a loud parent on the odd occasion but for extraordinary reasons. Having your child hip and shouldered on a face break layup on so many occasions and no fouls called makes anyone angry. It is just dangerous. Having your son punched in the eye with the foul makes one angry. Having your son kidney punched with no foul makes one angry. Having your sons knee being stood on while on the ground make with no foul makes one angry. Having the centre ref colluding with the game refs to foul count a specific team makes one angry. Having refs target a specific player to get the fouled off because they know the opposing coach makes one angry. I have many many more but you get the point. Most of the time the poor or compromised refs cause the problems. Occasionally there is a crazy parent and abusing refs is not on but calling them to account when they are putting kids in danger or are trying to manipulate the game then something must be said. At the end of the day it is a kids sport and they play for fun. Apparently many refs do not see it that way. Our solution. We have stopped player and now play soccer.

Reply #549438 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree.. Today I saw a player intentionally layup in to a player who was stood in perfect position to take a charge. The player with the ball twisted as he went up, thats okay, but then he dropped his shoulder and with his elbow thrust it straight in to the players chest. Not only was it a charge, it was an intentional turn and elbow with viciousness, yes I use that strong word, make no mistake it was intentional. Guess what, yep, it was a blocking foul dished out while the player still lay on the ground in serious pain. The ref and I were right in front to see it, the bench and parents were not, but it was more than obvious to the ref. It was appalling and dangerous and as it was not called, when the player left the court the offending team continued this appalling behaviour. Why is basketball saying yes to violence that is clearly outside the rules. I am going to go all out and suggest some of these players will be heard of in years to come, not for their basketball but for their one punch attacks because no one, yes not the coaches, not the parents, but worst of all, not the refs who represent basketball around the country have said yes to unacceptable violence on the court. It is an assault, there is no other way to describe the intentional deliberate act of ramming your elbow in to another persons chest. It is disgusting and no wonder people yell out. In fact they should. Everyone should stand and say no to this violence. It is not good for the sport, nor our community on and off the court. Let the hate on me begin.

Reply #549440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is so funny when one has a conversation with one's self.

Reply #549442 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

442 not correct just an assumption on your behalf. 2 different people from 2 states as a matter of fact, but on the same page in their thoughts which you obviously think you can belittle due to your ignorance. You are wrong.

Reply #549445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you both raise some valid points. I too have noticed an increase in what can only be described as deliberate violence in children's basketball. What I've noticed (have an u/8's boy and u/12 girl), is that unsportsmanlike fouls do not get called, even when one has clearly occurred, the refs are letting more rough play go, which then escalates.
Apart from the refs not addressing the issue though, is the coaches and parents. We had a boy in the u8's last week tackling kids, the ref called fouls, but his coach did not take him off, even after 3 of our players had been helped off the court (for 3 seperate crazy fouls), his coach did nothing.

And then there's the parents, If a child of mine was acting like some of these kids, I'd be grounding them until they learned how to play in the spirit of the game and with good sportsmanship. I would be embarrassed, certainly not applauding them as some seem to do. Bizarre.

Reply #549446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time would be better spent educating refs rather than parents as most parents would say nothing if they were not concerned about the level of aggression on court.

Reply #549447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, the coaches need to pull these players but they are part of the problem as well. Many coaches are actively teaching or ignoring this behaviour in the interest of winning over development. It is not in the kids best interest and only a short term gain as you rarely see this at state, national and international level apart from the odd comp as in China!!! You tube that and you'll see what I mean.. What I see is these rough teams that may win don't seem to feed players to state or development teams. To me that says it all. But yes the violence although seemingly a strong word is the right word.

Reply #549450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is squarely on the associations to provide support for the refs full stop. I have reffed for 10 yrs now (in my early 40's) and the level of disrepct, abuse etc is a huge issue. whilst the standard of reffing can vary, coaches, parents and players have the most responsibility of this full stop. picking out specific plays etc and trying to blame the refs for abuse etc is ridiculous.

Reply #549451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing attitude here, I use singular because if you're going to agree with yourself in a pseudo 2 person conversation try using a different punctuation and grammar style...

Rookie error.

But the bottom lie is there is a massive issue with treatment of officials. To the parent who took this kid to soccer good luck to you, soccer is a sport rife with poor sportsmanship so it suits you perfect.

Good riddance.

Reply #549453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trust me, soccer is no where near as bad as basketball at the junior level. We have played both sports simultaneously for some years and basketball is a much rougher and aggressive sport. My son has never had an injury from soccer but bball, the list is long. While there are some good bball refs they are few and far between. What most fail to realize is they have a duty of care to the players. I have also never seen an unsportsman foul being called. A ref is never going to get every call right but when they blatantly ignore some of the most aggressive, we have a problem. In all the years we have have played bball I have never seen a player sent off. Any form of aggression in soccer will see the player leave the field. Basketball at the U12-18's really needs to have a look at itself.

Reply #549462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good riddance!! Hmmm... you must be contributing to the reason why we went. Honestly.

Reply #549463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you compare soccer to basketball from a rules perspective.

Basketball is a far more skillful sport therefore more technical.

Soccer is all about the fake, milking a free and theatrics...

Reply #549466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not talking about skill. That is something completely different. What I am talking about is the level of violence and the following adjudication in what is supposed to be a non contact sport. Junior basketball lets you get away with some quite ugly things. As I said, the same happens in soccer and you are given the red card and see you later notice.

Reply #549474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Soccer, a game where if someone brushes past you you then fall over screaming in pain to milk a free... Please.

Such a bad sport for toughness and sportsmanship.

Reply #549481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kids have been playing Basketball for 10 or 12 years now and none of them have had an injury that I would say was caused by 'violence'. Plenty of regular sporting injuries but non I would consider the refs could have prevented. It's a physical sport and if you are playing in the paint you will expect some contact. If you/your kid is uncomfortable with it, don't allow it to stop them enjoying the sport. Get them to practice shooting threes and join the legion of olayers that stand and spectate from outside the arc waiting for the ball to be kicked out after the hard work has been done.

Reply #549493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

493 - may I ask what division and competition your child plays in as that makes a hell of a difference ? Do not discredit the reality of what parents are saying. I am involved with basketball many hours and days a week in various competitions and there are pockets of aggression that is uncontrolled and dangerous with kids umpiring. We can not let the supervision of those games by the adults be it coaches or the court supervisors or head refs to ensure the safety and enjoyment and rules of the sport. With the right ref, the same teams can play and the safety and quality of the game is completely different and I am not talking home court advantage as not all teams are getting regular home games in the competition I am at.

I will use the analogy that I am in a relationship that is not violent and I am around a lot of people and my kids school is fine as well, so those people complaining about their violent relationship and schools must be the problem and it must not be happening. You can not say it is not happening to me and I don't see it so you must be lying in effect. That is ignorant and demeaning to those that are having problems in life and many through no fault of their own and due to the authorities or leading bodies in whatever it is are not doing their job.

Reply #549494 | Report this post

Years ago

If refs understood and called off the ball fouls it would help - it is clearly beyond the scope of a teenage ref to interpret and have the strength to call an off the ball foul

Reply #549497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is refs cannot really prevent an immediate injury but they can act on it to try and stamp out the cause. Our experience is they just give a simple foul when in some cases stronger action is needed. Our finals game in an U15's (B grade)edjba game was ugly to say the least. The refs did not pull up kids on rough play so it just escalated. These were adult refs as well. I must say the 3 finals games were all poorly ref'd but we have become used to that. We have been playing since U9's and have noticed the ugly side of the game has become more prevalent. It is not common but it is there. We have also found that as the speed of the game increases, some refs struggle to keep up with the game which causes problems. Not sure what the answer is there?

Reply #549502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread is bizarre!! I've been involved with junior basketball for 30 odd years and the amount of acts of "aggression that is uncontrolled and dangerous" I've seen.....well there really haven't been too many.
"level of violence" ???
Please

Reply #549505 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

with inexperienced refs it is often "do what you can get away with" mentality in getting the win. This scenario needs a good interpretation / understanding of the rules - unfortunately most of the refs cant even recite the rules let alone interpret them into the on court scenarios.

Reply #549506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I obviously need to get out more. Whereabouts in "da hood" is all this violence going down?

Reply #549507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's ironic that in a thread about badly behaved parents, we have a large number of adults (likely parents) blaming everyone else for this behaviour.

Referees, generally are teenagers, players are children but rough play and mistakes by referees are an excuse for said behaviour.

Same as what happens in every stadium every weekend, likely the reason the thread was started.

Referees make mistakes. Players make mistakes. Any parent who can't except that should drop their child off and sit in the car.

Adults need to behave like adults. This thread is embarrassing and unfortunately a true reflection of the behaviour that makes this sport such a negative horrible environment for so many.

Reply #549511 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

"I obviously need to get out more. Whereabouts in "da hood" is all this violence going down?"

lol i was thinking the same, are your kids playing a "Prison Rules" or "No Blood No Foul" comp or something. I've been around Ball for 25 plus years including a few in the states and I think you may be blowing this a little out of proportion. If what your saying is true I sympathize, but maybe you just need to get your kids away from whatever comp they are playing in, because even though from time to time I have seen an ugly play I assure you that type of behavior is not normal in most comps.

Reply #549512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#511, spot on, best post of the entire thread.

Just on these so called "acts of violence", of which I've rarely ever seen for every "rough child" there's a coach and at least one parent, why don't you clean up your kids behavior too rather than blame the poor refs...

Some parents need banning from the stadium full stop.

Reply #549515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if we clean up the kids behaviour we do not need refs. You cannot cherry pick who will play sport so in order to combat that you need refs that will do a reasonable job. In fact they are paid to do a job as bball ref'ing is a paid profession. What I have found in the many years I have been involved is that once you have become a striped shirt ref you are left to your own devices after that. I think at least every so many games you should be evaluated on a random inspection. It does not happen often but I have seen (and coached against) refs that do collude to change the course of the match. I experienced one not 3 weeks ago where I caught them talking to try and give more fouls to a particular team. Like I said it does not happen often but it does happen. When they do this it does tend to fire up players and parents alike. Saying educating parents and kids should be done but is simplistic. It is like saying if we educate people more about the road rules no one will break them. It is just not going to happen.

Reply #549591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#591 Referees are there to enforce the rule. Travels, Double Dribbles, stepping out of bounds and even most fouls have nothing to do with players behaviour.

Your other comments are disrespectful and unfair and an example of the typical attitude of always blaming someone else.

Reply #549595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#591. Amazing attitude. The fact you try to catch them out shows your mentality.

Yes the refs are paid but its a token amount and they are certainly not paid to be abused.
Equally from personal experience the majority of the time i see parents going off its because they dont understand the rules or their kid just go beaten.

Reply #549600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not blaming anyone else. If my team does such a thing they will be off for the rest of the game and the game after but I know many a coach that will not do that. My point is that refs do collude on occasion and I have made formal complaints only to be told just live with it. The refs sometimes do get a hard time for little to no reason but there are those occasions where they are doing the wrong thing. Everyone needs to take some responsibility because atm there are the odd very ugly games. At the end of the day, it is kids sport (mainly) and they are meant to be having fun.

Reply #549646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaches and parents need to take their fair share of the responsibility for rough play.

For every criticism you have of officials for allowing rough play you're also throwing the coaches and parents under the bus too.

Reply #549652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not throwing everyone under the bus for the rough play usually results in a victim who is trying to just play the game. That child/parent has no control over the other player/parent hence we need the ref to step in and do what they are supposed to do. Do not forget collusion/bias of refs. It is amazing what some will go to just for a cheap medal.

Reply #549678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again with the unfounded collusion claim.

Take it up with your Association. You're claiming referees are cheating, which is disgusting and unless proven have no place in a public forum.

Reply #549686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not giving names or games where this occurred as it is only a point for discussion so unless we live in China I am well within my rights to voice my experience. If I hear a centre ref tell the game ref to up the foul count on a particular team, how else am I supposed to interpret that?? I have been to the club regarding ref conduct in the past only to be told that if they start chasing refs the game will have no refs and hence no game. I am not sure of the logic in that as the integrity of the "ref" must be paramount.

Reply #549704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well there goes the country. Turnbull is PM for a short time before Bill Shorten takes over.

The country is about to be run by the CFMEU!

Reply #549705 | Report this post

Eltham Parents  
Years ago

Eltham parents are disgraceful. A game this weekend one of the parents called a young Sudanese girl a monkey, laughing with another lady. At the end of the game the Eltham parents and coach defended the teams actions with no regrets. The Eltham player who's mother made the comment was deeply offended for her mothers actions and apologised to the girl. Its disgraceful that the kids had to witness this.

I brought a young Indian girl who has just moved to Australia to this match. Moving to a new country she really wanted to play basketball to make friends. I had warned her about Eltham and she witness them at their worst.

The young Sudanese girl looked defeated, thank god for the apology from the player and her team getting behind her.

The biggest problem with the Eltham culture is the adults and the parents. They want to win at all cost. So many coaches in Eltham don't have the skill sets to teach their kids how to play technical basketball. The push emotional tactics rather than basketball techniques. Hacking, clotheslines, moving hip checks, knocking players on their ass, the culture has not changed in decades.

Eltham parents constantly believe they are the victims with a horrendous culture.

Reply #792126 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754