what the
Years ago

Nunawading 2005

I'm over here for Nuna - so anyone wants to carry on about it - here it is

big difference between a foul back in SA and what is a foul here

Topic #3258 | Report this topic

see sturt's div 2 u16 girls defeated two sth aust u16 div 1 teams !

Reply #37673 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

Melbourne refs get talked up on here, but they were so inconsistent in every game, it was hard to know what calls were going to be made, reffing was dissapointing, well what we got for mine, but i also saw planty of good reffereeing and the stadiums their every year are leading most of adelaide's stadiums.

Reply #37728 | Report this post

pitstop  
Years ago

Brilliantly organised and run. Refs were fair to both sides whether you agreed or not and the rivalry was evident but friendly across the board. SA families found the venues easily and carparking was not a problem. Well done to the organisers. Can't wait for June long weekend next year!

Reply #37759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with everything you said pitstop.

The Vics quite simply beat SA across the board when it comes to organisation, umpiring & the style they play. Anyone that cant see that are kidding themselves.

Reply #37771 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

There was the odd glitch with refs at a couple of venues, with the Classic running and size of the tournament growing, getting enough refs in the better quality stakes is getting harder...getting all on the same wavelenght would also seem to be an issue...but still all in all a good weekend.

Reply #37772 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

Which 2 div2 girls team beat div 1 team, anyone knows?

Reply #37788 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

wow,

that's my alias cheeky !

one of them anyway .. bwhahahahwahahahahahahah !!! bwah

Reply #37796 | Report this post

Watcher  
Years ago

South should of beat sturt div 2 they didnt play ther best

Reply #37798 | Report this post

Annoyomous  
Years ago

to wow - it was north and sturt

Reply #37799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone at a higher level would take notice it would be further proof that giving clubs a spot in Division One is simply not working and there are clearly better Division Two sides then some sides in Division One.

Reply #37800 | Report this post

Sleuth  
Years ago

Should of,

Could of,

would of,

never won a game.

What matters is that the weekend shows that some clubs are not good enough to produce competitive div 1 teams. And that the competition needs an overhall. Let the best kids play in the best comp.

Reply #37802 | Report this post

June McKenzie  
Years ago

so a carnival interstate is how we need to grade teams in sa????????????

Reply #37803 | Report this post

Sleuth  
Years ago

No a promotion/relegation series over the summer season would do it.

The tournament just gives the opportunity for the div 2 teams to prove that they are actually better than some div 1 teams from other clubs who are not doing the work in junior development.

So what we have seen is that the current system is actually working against the development of elite players in this state.

Because better players and temas are playing in div 2. Meaning.

1. Those players in div 2 are not getting games that are at the standard of their ability.

2. The teams in div 1 that they are better than do not give the best players in the state good games each week. Meaning that these players are not extended week in week out.

Maybe your argument should be that the div 2 players from other clubs should come and play div 1 for you June?

Reply #37807 | Report this post

mmmmmm  
Years ago

I was 1 of the parents watching, sturt & N/Adel div 2 girls beat Central & South div1 girls, Sturt & N/Adel er on top of their div 2 comp, & Central is bottom in div 1, must say central did give their best & South sorry to say what were they doing in a div 2 comp in Nun? to be beaten by 2 div 2 teams, Also Norwood high up in the div 2 comp, was playin in div3 in Nun

Reply #37811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sleuth,

Your logic will fall on deaf ears. Some clubs believe that under the current system that the aforementioned Div 2 kids will leave their current club and play for their club because they have a Div 1 team. Well this simply does not happen nearly as much as they thought it would. Why? Because they do not want to go to junior programs that are clearly dysfunctional! Meanwhile, the best kids don't play the best, the bottom clubs get thumped week after week, lose kids replace them with kids of a lesser standard and the elite in SA continue to be held back by the narrow-mindedness of clubs that couldn't be bothered doing some REAL player development! The Under 18 Girls teams in Melbourne performed great, but what about the other grades? Results ranged from OK to very poor. Our Under 16's were simply not competitive. We are going backwards in a big way. Competition change NOW!

Reply #37813 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

Bring in the relegation, sure Centrals div1 girls would rather play in div 2 comp, in SA, I am sure they will finish top 5, go back to those yrs again, have 2 of the best div 1's from a club,top 2 of div 2 in winter, should move up to div 1 for summer,then there will be rm for div 3 kids to move up to div 2

Reply #37815 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

re watcher why u think south did not play well, they lost not to 1 but 2, div (2) teams, & did not beat centrals by much,

Reply #37816 | Report this post

got the answer  
Years ago

maybe south was going in for the kill, to be the champs in Nun, who cares div 2 or 4 in Nunawanding,better luck next time, same as norwood

Reply #37818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did the sturt div 1 under 16 girls go i heard they were pretty bad team

Reply #37826 | Report this post

bom bom  
Years ago

Sturt div 1 girls finish 3rd in under 16 A comp in Nunawanding, they did well, Sturt & North always play their teams to the best, higher grades or to their level,never ve seen them bringing their teams to a lower grade to win comp's,
got your answer ANONYMOUS

Reply #37827 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

All the A grade comps at nunawading contained Vic VC teams, anyone who was prepared to play in A should be applauded for giving it a go...at least you got the best competition outside of the Classics...

Reply #37839 | Report this post

Watson  
Years ago

got the answer,

That is the exact logic that leads south's div 1 team to be beaten by 2 div 2 teams.

They enter that level of competition so that they can be win against easy competition rather than chalenging their players against the best competition, so that they must improve.

A bigger example of this was Centrals U/14 Girls who qualified for the Classics, electing not to go to, only to then play div 2 at Nunawading. This just show's how bad their admin and attitude is. This will be the last chance a Centrals team has of going to the classics. Hope that they put up a big poster about winning against div 2 teams at Nunawading so that we can all laugh at it.

Reply #37969 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I only got back from Melbourne (Nunawading) last night and was interested at some of the comments on this topic. Yes the North and Sturt Div 2 teams beat South and Centrals Div 1 teams, but without detracting from that achievement, you have to question as to whether or not they would be good enough to be play in the Div 1 competition.

The main problem is that there is no qualifying conditions for any of the divisions here in SA. BASA wants each club to have Div 1 & 2 teams. If for what ever reason some clubs aren't attracting the stronger players and they can not field a competitive team at those levels, then it seems to be pretty odd that they will offer players who clearly aren't at that level, a position in a high grade just to be able to submit their teams into those Divisions.

What makes the Victorian competition so good, is the fact that if your team doesn't qualify for that division, it simply goes into a lower and more appropriate division. What is the point in saying yes we play at Div 1 and then going out and being thrashed each week. If a club is strong enough to enter more than one team into a division, then at least the players get to compete at their level.

The other issue is the entry of teams into lower grades or less competitive tournaments just to try and win a trophy. Perhaps the coaches and administrators of those teams/clubs need to look at why they are involved with a sport where development should be the primary focus !?!?!?

Reply #38062 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Watson,

Well said.

Reply #38065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What we have now has inherint floors. The alternatives are not always better though.

Reply #38066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What we have now has inherint floors. The alternatives are not always better though.

Reply #38067 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Watson,

If what you are saying is true then Centrals need to have a long hard look at themselves. I think Glenn or someone from the club needs to get on here and justify that decision and how it is in the best interest of the club or basketball in SA.

Remember, there are 2 sides to every story and I reserve my judgement until i hear the team/clubs side of the story.

Reply #38069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

flaws or floors i'm confused
what was wrong with the floors

Reply #38072 | Report this post

Years ago

At a guess i would think centrals admin would not have nominated for classics for 2 reasons
1)Admin not experienced enough to know that you have to nominate your interest before state champs.
2)They may have elected to save the expense and attend club championships in Darwin in Oct.Which is not an uncommon thing.
Which is obvious what they didnt do seeing as they went to melbourne anyway, so i would probably have gone with theory 1.
(I may be way off on my guessing of reasons but it just another point of view)
As for Nunawading everyone enters tournaments to get different things from them.Your views are your own, but just not the views of the desicion makers at centrals.
Doesnt make them wrong or you right just that you have opposing views.

Reply #38076 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

They arent going to nationals!

Reply #38078 | Report this post

Years ago

Fwow him to the fwoor - vewy woughwy!

Reply #38082 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I was concerned with no warm up time regularly at nuna - in one game the refs started the game whilst the previous were still on the bench and court!

with the cooler weather - bad risk of a tear.

having said that the weather was tthe best for years.

Reply #38086 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

and I would prefer a clock stop for time outs - I am ok with only one time out - but the leading team dragged their heels - the refs were chatting and next thing they had ran 90 seconds off the clock for a time out!

Reply #38089 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

the decision on grading teams is purely political.

The vic system is results based only.

Naturally the larger / stronger clubs want the chance of 2 div 1 teams. Sturt, North, Forestville, Norwood.

The other clubs do not for obvious reasons.

Whilst a majority vote rules - you will get a regular 6 - 4 or 7 -3 vote in favour of only 1 div 1 team.

if the mid range clubs - woodville, west, south, tigers got 30% better overall - it would be enopugh to tilt the scales.

until we get purely results based the current system will preside.

It would require a huge culture change - there is too much emphasis on being Div 1.

Woodville treat their Div 1s like gods, let them do what they like and the others are chaff.

Reply #38091 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754