boti for CEO
Years ago

Boti's suggestions for the future of the CABL

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/a-year-later-is-it-any-better-in-sa/

a lot of good points and really good ideas, i wonder if anyone from BSA reads his blog

has he ever considered going onto the board or committee at BSA to get some of these ideas rolling

Topic #32581 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If teams from other leagues are pulling out because of travel hassle or costs, why would more travel be the answer for them or the CABL? Same goes with the issue of cost. If there's not enough money in it for BSA, is there a big pay-off for anyone else in a lean sponsorship market?

Couldn't BSA just delegate/contract out the running and marketing (mostly importantly) of the league to someone with the time and interest? A little bit like how Vlahov has previously setup some Boomers events for BA.

Reply #435300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If teams from other leagues are pulling out because of travel hassle or costs, why would more travel be the answer for them or the CABL?

I didn't understand his argument there either.

Reply #435302 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Considering that 36er/Lighting players will continue to play in the CABL during their offseasons, I'm failing to see how the quality of the league is an issue (according to Boti's logic).

Does adding (potentially unstable) regional teams to the CABL automatically make it a better competition? I have my doubts.

Slow blog day from Boti.

Reply #435312 | Report this post

Jackie  
Years ago

It is cheaper to come to Adelaide once a fortnight than travel all over country Victoria I would of thought.

Reply #435317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and more expensive for CABL teams to travel to regional Victoria or even the Riverland than suburban Adelaide.

Reply #435319 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Of all the options thrown up the best for basketball in SA is probably option 2.

I could see it working very much like the current Tassie SEABL teams where the players play mid-week in the State League then weekends in the SEABL.

It would be great to get MT G & an Adelaide team in the SEABL giving Adelaide talent a chance to play at a higher level whilst still looking after the talent below them with a solid level of play and develop there game.

Reply #435321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is only three trips a year it would cost the Adelaide teams very little.

Reply #435325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine that a number of ABL-level players have day jobs. Assuming they may be working 9-5 on a Friday, that would either mean a four hour drive then playing that night or back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday? Sunday games would need to be afternoon games to allow for time driving back. Packed, but doable.

I still think you'd want to get the easier scenario (local teams with minimal travel) right before complicating the schedule and club-wrangling.

If there's not a naming rights sponsor for the league now, trade that with a company who has a 2-3 person marketing/comms team for them to donate staff time. Then hope that the improved publicity brings on board category or minor sponsors.

Alternatively, allocate $xk per club to contract out the league and hope that sponsorship will effectively reward that.

Reply #435338 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

With the number of 6ers guys playing ABL recently if you went the SEABL option wouldn't that just mean the current ABL squads move to playing mid-week (and becoming far less relevant than they already are/losing crowds, hype etc) then having one Adelaide-based SEABL team which will comprise mostly of 6ers players (DJ, Cadee, Peach, Gibbo all played ABL this year, Creek played for South before the injury etc) plus a FEW of the best ABL players...
In other words this will be great for the development of about 5 top level ABL players who will have a home game in Adelaide every second week and 6ers players in their off-season and terrible for everyone else who plays ABL (moving to a mid-week comp.

Any I getting this wrong or is this like downgrading the current ABL and having a Sixer's B-team play throughout winter?

Reply #435348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti thinks he has an idea but really doesn't

Reply #435354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Accommodation and transport for 30 people would cost quite a bit more than clubs pay now.

You'd be looking at $4-5k three times a year. Into program's which already cost clubs $50k when taking into account trainings, uniforms, game days and match payments for coaches and players with no real financial benefit from game days.

Reply #435356 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

I think boti has a valid point about the lack of effort from BSA in promoting and developing the ABA further. In SA the Bball career path for developing players is nowhere near as good as it used to be. His scenarios offer some serious thinking about alternatives. I agree with some of them.
Can we get BSA to address this or is it all too hard.....

Reply #435389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rock you are kidding right BSA address issues?

Reply #435391 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Big V and VFL clubs I've been involved with haven't paid accommodation and travel for their teams when they have games in the country, I doubt CABL teams would for 2-3 trips a year either.

There could be a small cost for some petrol money if the club was so inclined but you would only be talking about 4-5 cars.

Reply #435392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I can see guys like Gibson and DJ going into their own pockets rather than getting $20k to play SEABL.

Or more importantly, uni guys on the end if the bench spending $200 to drive the my gambier and stay the night to sit in the bench.

Reply #435401 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well, it happens in the VFL and the Big V.

Reply #435403 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Here would be my recommendations....

The league need to make every team as competitive as possible.

We need to try and keep the Sixers here in SA playing in the CABL somehow. Sometimes I think is this a restriction of trade but on the flip side I think it is in the Sixers best interest to keep the players local so they can work on their games individually.

So here's a couple of idea's.

How much is it worth to the Sixers to keep their players local? Is $3,500 out of the question? Add this amount onto the contract with a requirement that they play CABL and that the team they are playing for will at a maximum match it.

My guess is $400 a game would be a decent match payment for these guys. This also allows local clubs to not spend their whole budget on one player.

Introduce a draft type system like the SANFL do with AFL players. Going on last season the bottom team has the first selection and so on down to Forestville. Allow the clubs to select the players that best suits their requirements.

The first season will see all teams pick up a player who has no affiliation to a local club. Players who have an affiliation have the opportunity to play for that club.

Then on top of that, as country football leagues do, introduce a points system not unlike the NBL one where each player has a points rating. NBL/Euro/Imports get allocated 3 points, 2 points say for SEABL players, 2 points for a player from a team within the league and 1 point for local players, 0 points for players under 18 years of age.

The allocate points to each team, say 12 points per team (10 players each night to be selected) or even as some clubs do, allocate them according to where they finish on the ladder at the end of the minor rounds, so say 10 points for top 2, 11 points 3-5, 12 points 6th and 7th and 14 points for the bottom 2 teams, (obviously this would need to be looked at in more detail).

This system at first was introduced because the salary cap just wasn't working, just like in the NBL. But I feel looking at a lot of local football leagues they haven't been this close in a long time. You also see teams who finish down the bottom move up the ladder a lot quicker.

This would also stop teams from stacking their teams with NBL players like Norwood have, would restrict poaching players from other clubs as much and would also encourage clubs to play local players and promote juniors.

Surely three things that supporters and clubs want is an even competition, NBL players in our league and locals playing for their home club?

Reply #435404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers offer regular contract with requirement that the player suits in the ABL for a notional amount, or discounted contract if they want the freedom to take the year off or play NZ/SEABL/etc.

Then, for ABL clubs taking on an NBL player, the 36ers get some level of promotional rights within that club.

Reply #435409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great until the 6ers go on their pre season trip and the players are missing for 2 weeks of finals.

Reply #435416 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Boti is making some great points here

As a former club President, I think BSA only looks at the Grand Final as an

Income stream
A relief that the season is over

The income from the seniors should be invested into their marketing of the game

In saying that, the income of the Grand Final should be used to offset the costs for clubs in non BSA stadiums

Senior program's at some clubs are out of control , making the season and comp so lop sided , does South Men really have a chance against( on a regular basis) against the clubs that spend money

In the women's side, we had "Apple Gate" a few years back with no action from BSA

Years back , the income from the GF , went towards expenses for sides to travel to a national comp, which now is not on the BsA agenda.

Why, when BSA is financial, more financial than previous years won't hey spend money on promotion, increasing the standard of officials, including score table and stats? How many clubs have no one coming thru?

When the 36ers enter a team into SEABL in the next year, what will happen then

BSA Management won't care, they don't now

Otis has good points, we should listen to then, act and put something to the clubs now

We have salary cap, no even spread of 36ers players to clubs, an and association that doesn't care.

Before you start bagging, I have tried on many occasions to get on the commission, with no luck, because I am contacted with the sport. I would get Boti in and ask him to speak to us and improve the senior comp.

After Under 18, U23's is not working, the clubs with funding buy players from juniors funds and we need a change.

SBL is not getting better and the governance of our game don't really care.they are just relieved the season is over

Reply #435678 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

A reminder to all affiliated clubs and members- BSA employees work for us. They are meant to serve us, yes provide some leadership, but ensure they serve the people who employ them....
Does it look like they are listening?

Reply #435693 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If the 6er's are looking to enter a team in the SEABL wouldn't it be in the best interests of the CABL teams to get on board support it push to get there own home grown talent in the team?

Seems like a great way to promote and keep your juniors if they see a link from Juniors-CABL-SEABL-6er's

Reply #435709 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We have salary cap, no even spread of 36ers players to clubs, an and association that doesn't care.
Should there be an even spread? Norwood were strong for a while with only Cooper. Sturt have done OK with Ng and then Daly this year.

36ers players are still generally going to want to be paid, and imports are an alternative.

If junior basketball is an open market (no regions enforced), why wouldn't the top level in seniors be the same?

Isn't it really only Southern who have been consistently towards the bottom end?

Reply #435726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Boti

Reply #435729 | Report this post

KEEP HOOPin  
Years ago

Was it this time last year that Mildura tried to be part of our league and was rejected?

Reply #435766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious question here. Are imports allowed to be paid and if so what normal conditions do clubs offer. Thanks

Reply #435767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they don't rock. They work for an independent commission instilled by the state govt. They used to work for clubs, now BSA is independently owned.

Reply #435768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not independent.

It included representatives with self interest from all parties involved in BSA. There are a few independents but they are the minority.

The clubs have a representative.

Reply #435772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Isaac, Southern & maybe South are the only teams not to have tasted some form of success in the past decade or so.

Southerns YL team is in to the GF though, so if they keep that core together hopefully they will compete in the next couple of years.

Reply #435781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are some independant Commissioners but also nominated representatives from various basketball groups such as district clubs, country, church and maybe now rec centres. They are suppoded to manage basketball for the betterment of the sport in the state and ideally they should put there association preferences behind them but unfortunately some of these groups who put little cash into the pockets of BSA only have one group on their mind, theirs!!!

The sooner district clubs put themselves on an equal footing to Church and Country basketball the better off they will be. The only snag I can see with that is available facilities if BSA dig their heels in.

Boti certainly has some lateral thoughts and what comes with all lateral thinkers from time to time are crazy ideas but sometimes what seems crazy at some point in time becomes the norm into the future. Basketball Adelaide couldn't go too far wrong in getting Boti to be their representative on the Commission or in the very least Boti should try to get on board as an independent Commissioner. I think the AGM should be coming up soon so Boti - it is time for action not just words!!!!

Reply #435789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

South have been competitive at times, at least. They did get their share of 36ers in one season recently!

I can't remember Southern really challenging hard since the Hodge brother days. (I don't follow ABL as closely as I used to, so might be wrong.)

Serious question here. Are imports allowed to be paid and if so what normal conditions do clubs offer. Thanks
From what I've gleaned off here, the difficult thing is that some sort of athlete working visa requires a minimum payment, and that payment is either beyond the reach of most clubs or busts the ABL team cap (if it even still exists).

I think clubs generally combine player payments with some other arranged job to push past the visa threshold. e.g., junior clinics or something like that.

I don't know if imports could play unpaid and on a tourist visa of some sort if they were so inclined. Not sure if there is a minimum payment for players in the ABL. Regardless, who's going to play unpaid if they've flown over?

Reply #435790 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754