Sharod
Years ago

Perspective of 2nd NZ team in NBL

Given the great crowd attendance in Christchurch with the first breakers preseason game, shouldn't it worth to give it a shot to have a team in Christchurch instead of Wellington? Perhaps one or two years, is there enough depth for NZ players to fill that?

Topic #32597 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the depth of talent is there but I personally wouldn't go there yet.

Number 1 priority, a sustainable Brisbane team.

Number 2 priority, a sustainable second Melbourne team.

Then look at further expansion.

Reply #435505 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't want this to be an option until there is already 10 NBL clubs and then I would be happy to have a look at another club as it will dilute the Breakers to some point and maybe even they will run their own NZ basketball academy and it will be beneficial to NZ.

I can't imagine that this new team will take sponsorship away from Australian teams so in that perspective it could be a clever addition to the league... until the make a grand final series against the Breakers and everyone is up in arms in this country!

Reply #435513 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think the Breakers should just look at playing one regular season in Christchurch a year.

With that being said, I think Christchurch is a more viable option that Wellington for a second NZ team.

Wellington has the Phoenix of the A-League and over summer they have Cricket and the Rugby Sevens World Series (although only over a weekend).

Christchurch currently has nothing, other than the local ITM Cup team and the Crusaders (Super Rugby), but both those competitions operate out of the NBL window.

Christchurch has no Cricket ground for the Blackcaps. They have no A-League team.

I think it could be viable to get in there and present a sport team now, when the competition from other sports is non-existant/diluted.

Reply #435518 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I agree with second NZ team in the future after Brisbane or Melbourne

Reply #435519 | Report this post

Sharod  
Years ago

I think the concern of earthquake at CC is also high, since it will break the economy.

Reply #435523 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Christchurch have consistently struggled to have a viable NZNBL team, not sure how they'd go with an NBL Franchise.
Wellington have a proven well supported product with a solid financial backer and management structures.

Reply #435537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not enough talent in NZ point blank.

Casey Frank would have to jump from behind the mic... Oh I forgot he plays for Tall Blacks in his spare time.

Reply #435544 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wellington is the spot, their NZNBL team is very well supported and well established. Would be great to see, there is obviously enough talent to support it into the future with the amount of young talent NZ is producing, especially if three imports are allowed by the time they come in.

Reply #435564 | Report this post

Sharod  
Years ago

I read a previous report that the Saints owner will also consider to establish a team in Christchurch as an option. So lets see when the time comes.
I think the depth should be there in two or three years when some NZ guys in US college turn pro, and some emerge from the NZ academy programs.

Reply #435595 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754