Joker
Years ago

Should Owen Odigie have gone to college?

I see Owen is on the Tigers 10 man roster. He seems to make every state/national team going, yet I have never seen him score in double figures. He seems to be a good defender, and as a junior he dominated the boards, but doesnt appear to put up numbers at senior level yet? I thought he would have been a perfect fit going to College to work on his game?

Topic #32604 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Athlete with little to no feel for the game. That's not to say he can't carve out a career with a frame like that but at this point he isn't really a basketball player.

Reply #435641 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is an incredible defender but very raw offensively. He is a hard worker so hopefully he can improve that area, he hit a few threes for the Emerging Boomers over winter and made a couple of nice drives which is a good sign.

Reply #435645 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Owen always made the teams based on his athletis ability rather than his game.

But we got to face the fact Unlike the States were you need the athletic ability and game....in Australia we don't have many athletes of his calibre so hence guys who have it are pushed into the State/National teams in the hope that the game will catch up with the athletic ability.

Reply #435647 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Could be like vukona, a great worker, rebounder and defender whose offensive game takes a while to develop.

Reply #435652 | Report this post

Blowfly  
Years ago

Owen chose the AIS over College. Not many athletes, let alone Basketballers get that chance. The Tigers will probably find more minutes for him this season as well.

Reply #435659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have gone to Watsonia Warriors

Reply #435663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4yrs at a good D1 college would have been very good for him but he chose NBL pathway so now has to make the most of it.
Can't see him getting many minutes this year.

Reply #435670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the kid hardly plays for dande let alone a nbl squad. only in the league because he is 1 point player.

Reply #435680 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If he trains like last year he will play, Anstey and DMac rate him highly. Before he got injured played a great stint against Cairns with his hustle and D.

Reply #435682 | Report this post

lonely eagle  
Years ago

he is a gun 00 7

Reply #435684 | Report this post

lonely eagle  
Years ago

he is a gun 007

Reply #435685 | Report this post

Nat  
Years ago

Crocs made offer a season or 2 ago. Shouldve taken that & earned a solid spot in front of weaker teammates.

Reply #435691 | Report this post

vodka41  
Years ago

sorry to say he went through the wrong junior program where his athletic ability was exploited,

Reply #435710 | Report this post

vodka41  
Years ago

sorry to say he went through the wrong junior program where his athletic ability was exploited,

Reply #435712 | Report this post

vodka41  
Years ago

Reply #435713 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

Hey blowfly, don't mean to correct you, the AIS scholarships are for 18 yo and under. College was the NEXT step, he choose to go pro like Jason Cadee did.
I have heard he isn't anything special, however, who knows, a good coach and a keen mentor and it could just click one day. Too early.

Reply #435715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKinnon playing in VC
Dandenong playing in VC (a few games in u18)
Vic Metro NITCP and State Teams
AIS
Australian U17, U19 and WUG teams
Melbourne Tigers NBL Team
Dandenong Rangers SEABL Team

Athletic ability was utilised in every program. Same as every other kids best strength.

What is your point Vodka41? I'm assuming your having a crack at McKinnon? Why, they developed him in his very early days, he was identified very early by BV and put through the highest level training program's...

Owen has been coached as much as anyone in the game and has been given assistance to use his strengths as well as assisted to work on his weaknesses.

He is a great kid, a very promising player and will become a good NBL player in time.

I agree that college would have been a good option from a basketball point of view but he chose to end school and turn pro. I'm sure he has very good reasons for doing so.

Reply #435728 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754