Gordon Liddy
Years ago

Miami Heat Sign Michael Beasley

MIAMI -- The Miami Heat have re-signed Michael Beasley, who spent the first two seasons of his up-and-down NBA career with the team and became a free agent when the Phoenix Suns bought out his contract earlier this month.

Beasley was drafted second overall in 2008 by the Heat and averaged 14.3 points a game over those two seasons. He was traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2010 and signed with Phoenix as a free agent in 2012.

Heat president Pat Riley said the team decided that Beasley "can help us."

Beasley was arrested earlier this offseason in Arizona on charges of felony marijuana possession and possession of drug paraphernalia. It was the latest in a series of incidents involving the drug that have plagued his NBA career.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9662834/miami-heat-bring-back-former-no-2-overall-pick-michael-beasley

Topic #32609 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If they can keep tabs on him could be a great pick up to cover D Wade when he takes rest period during the year.

Reply #435708 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

So the Heat are going for the record of most top 5 picks on one team.

According to ESPN they have 7 top 5 picks , 8 top 6 picks

Reply #435711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beasley is a beast and can flat out play. Great pick up.

Reply #435719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He may be a beast but he is a total nut job. Will be a bust again at Miami

Reply #435731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a big IF, but IF Miami can turn Beasleys attitude around and get him to buy into the Heat culture, especially on the defensive end. With a healthy Wade, a lineup of Chalmers/Wade/Lebron/Beasley/Bosh is incredibly formidable. Considering Beasley is at his best playing the stretch 4.

Reply #435737 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Beastley baby. He won't be a bust in Miami, much the same reason Birdman wasn't.

Reply #435739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference is the Birdman knows he is a role player.....Beasley thinks he is the second coming of the Beatles! Massive Difference.

Reply #435740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Heat stacking their roster. Nice move.

Reply #435751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the Birdman coming to Miami?

Reply #435752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the heat looking like now?

PG Chalmers/Cole
SG Wade/Allen
SF James/Battier
PF Bosh/Lewis/Beasley
C Haslem/Oden/Andersen

If everyone 'buys in' again and they stay injury free, that looks like a very strong line up to me, basically all bases fairly well covered.

Obviously helps having LeBron, not only is he the best player in the NBA he can play significant minutes at basically any position if required, one of the few able to do this, which helps cover players out injured or in foul trouble.

Reply #435755 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Did Pat Riley watch the movie MoneyBall and say well why cant we go after the top five draft picks that no one else wants due to certain personal floors? Beasley/Oden.

As in money ball these guys can be brought in on the cheap due to no-one wanting the risk. What other top5 or top10 picks have been dropped for personal floors
- Johnny Flynn (Injury Concern)
- Julius Hodge (Injury Concern)
??

Reply #435756 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Sorry personal floors should have read "perceived floors"

Reply #435757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or even "perceived flaws" maybe? ;)

Birdman is already with Miami, anon.

So the Heat are going for the record of most top 5 picks on one team.

According to ESPN they have 7 top 5 picks , 8 top 6 picks
Oden and Beasley in, but Juwan Howard and Mike Miller recently out and both of those guys were #5s.

Reply #435758 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

wow having a good day, cheers Isaac

Reply #435759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good theory, but the Heat also have the luxury of being so deep and strong so its a no risk move

the worse case scenario is Beasley mucks up/has poor attitude, they just cut him and lose nothing as he will likely only be a 10 -15 min per game player anyway and on min salary.

the best case scenario is he accepts his role, has the right attitude, behaves well ie no drug incidents, plays well and in the end earns himself a spot in the starting 5 as the hard work/good attitude allows his obvious talents to flourish.

I'd say the probably expect something in the middle, its a case of he is a talent, we have a strong locker room, he is willing to sign for min, he is the best talent available for min salary, if we can get something out of him its a bonus, aslong as he doesnt rock the boat/miss behave too much its ok as they dont really need heaps out of him next season, but he could prove to be a real x factor and key contributor if it all goes well, also a reasonable long term signing if he can stay on track off the court.

Reply #435760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, they are strong enough to be able to gamble on guys like Oden and Beasley. Can they be stopped?

Centrebet has them at $3.50.

Who else has improved? Indiana have got Granger back. Spurs about level or slightly better? Houston big improvers. Thunder likely to be a lot better with Westbrook. Edit: Nets too.

Reply #435761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not many off seasons when the championship team can sign 2 former top 5 picks (Beasley/Oden) for basically nothing and losing no key players to do it. (Well they did lose Miller but that was more luxury tax savings than fitting these guys in wasnt it?)

Reply #435762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea agreed Isaac, will be very tough to stop.

My pick for top 4 teams (2 per conference) is

Heat
Bulls

Clippers
Thunder

But think the Heat are the best team, even more so if Beasley and/or Oden are actually able to contribute.

Reply #435764 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bulls will have Rose back, plus look a lot stronger than before.

Heat
Bulls
Pacers

Thunder
Grizzlies
Clippers

Reply #435776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beasley will know he has to pull his head in back in Miami and that it could be his last shot at an NBA career.

It's ridiculous how much of a lock the Heat are for the three-peat.

Reply #435778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Load up on that $3.50 then!

One thing that will work for them is that they don't need to drive Oden hard and risk injury - he's an absolute bonus. I don't know why other teams didn't push harder for him.

Reply #435791 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The Knicks will sort out those Heat.

Reply #435795 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

LOL champ.
The Knicks can't even sort themselves out!

Reply #435797 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Knicks are one of the heats biggest threats in the east DB5...

Reply #435799 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

LOL at those pumping up the Knicks. A Carmelo led team is never going to be successful.

Reply #435803 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ricey, I don't think they are mate.
Heat
Bulls
Pacers
Nets

are all better IMO.
Knicks blew their chance last year when Derrick was out.

Reply #435804 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Ricey you have to be trolling. The Bulls, Pacers, and Nets(No idea how they will gel) are the only ones who will give Miami trouble. The Knicks signed Andrea Bargnani in the offseason... possibly the worst type of player to have if you want to beat Miami.If you want to challenge Miami look at how the Bulls and Pacers play them with Noah Boozer/ Hibbert West.Both pairs are big strong physically guys on D and O.

Reply #435805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is just keeping James Ennis' spot warm for a season. :P

Reply #435808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROFL at Knicks being a threat. Carmelo is a ball hogging cancer.

Reply #435814 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

beasley has not shown any ability to play, hence why nobody wants him aswell as the obvious issues. Deserves a low spot way back on the bench

Reply #435882 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Who are these "Knicks" people keep speaking of?

Reply #435884 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I really hate to say it, but no one is touching the Heat in the East. As much as I loved what Indiana accomplished last year, even with Granger I don't think they have the firepower to take Miami out (assuming the Heat don't implode). The Nets are an unknown factor, so I won't speculate what they'll achieve.

The west is an interesting case. The Spurs *can* beat the Heat (they were only a few seconds away from winning in 6), but as a team I feel they are more prone to getting beaten by an up and comer in the west such as OKC or GSW.

OKC have a snowball's chance in hell of beating the Heat, too turnover prone and as Chuck said "you don't beat Miami by shooting jump shots".

Golden State are hard to predict, on the one hand Iggy gives them one of the best starting 5s in the league, but losing Jack and Landry I think may hurt more than people realise. In games where their stars are hurt, or shots aren't dropping, those two in particular gave the bench a huge lift. With some luck, I think GSW can be west finalists. The optimist in me says they would actually have the tools to neutralise Miami (in particular, Bogut and Igoudala) enough for Curry and Thompson to make it rain from range, but the realist in me expects this wouldn't happen.

Houston are a wildcard, I like the team they have. Asik is a good big guy to have coming off the bench.

Reply #435914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754