Murray
Years ago

Brisbane Consider withdrawing from SEABL

Brisbane have flagged with SEABL their unwillingness to participate in SEABL under a proposed BA Commission. Are there any other like minded concerns around SEABL clubs

Topic #32621 | Report this topic

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Could SEABL slowly crumble as the state leagues become stronger?

Reply #435929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What state leagues have become stronger?

Reply #435934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What state leagues have become stronger?

---------

Big V with the addition of Knox, Frankston, Albury.....
any other clubs I have missed who have be "rumoured" to be returning to Big V next year??

Reply #435937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL is a good comp also

Reply #435939 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Where will Brisbane play? QBL appears to be growing and if they make a move???

Reply #435942 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

If I was a Victorian club I would be jumping on this and helping shove Brisbane out. Its the Vic clubs money that props up the participation of clubs like Brisbane. If Brisbane left everyone's fees become cheaper due to lower airfares equalisation and having one less overnight road trip (ground transport, accommodation etc.).

Reply #435943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would make sense for them financially lets fsce it

Reply #435944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Albury are in NSW and cant play in the Big V thats an issue to start with. Secondly the other 2 mentioned are purely speculation. You might want to hang your hat on something else there champ

Reply #435945 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

There is lots of precedent for non-victorian teams playing in Victorian competitions.

I think Mt Gambier played in the CBL last year and some other NSW border towns compete in some vic events.

Albury get around that if they want to by calling themselves Albury-Wodonga....

Reply #435946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flight costs may come down but the administration cost (which is fixed) goes up because it is now spread across one less entity.

Reply #435948 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good call. Surely though under BA admin costs will come down? Don't the SEABl now have three FT staff or four? What is Chuck doing these days at BA? They could combine WNBL and SEABL management and save a role in the revamp.

Reply #435950 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

I take it from Posts to date that there is no concern about SEABL becoming a BA Commission and SEABL Members losing control and its Members having reduced Service from the current Staff because of doing other BA work

Reply #435952 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Well Murray it was not really the point of your thread was it? You made it about Brisbane.

Reply #435954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury will be entering Youth teams in Big V next season with rumour their SEABL women's program is confirmed moving and the men seriously considering it.

Reply #435959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Could SEABL slowly crumble as the state leagues become stronger?"

Well by proxy i guess. The BigV would became stronger if all the Victorian SEABL Teams formed the State championship by themselves and all current State Champ teams became Div 1.

Reply #435965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it upsetting so many people are taking pleasure at either undermining SEABL or seeing it potentially struggle.

If SEABL folded the overall standard of elite club Basketball would suffer with it, the state based competitions are too diluted to provide a constant high standard.

The standard of state based competitions isnt as competitive as SEABL. The very nature of the interstate rivalry creates a higher standard of competition and better breeding ground for our elite players to develop in.

Without SEABL Basketball will suffer.

Reply #435973 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Imagine there was no SEABL and each State League was filled with the SEABL teams, then end of year the National Titles could come back with $$$ help for clubs to come from BA, winner from each state fly to Melbourne or Sydney to compete for National Champion!

Reply #435976 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be great to see a two-month 16 team comp at end of state league season between the best of each comp, all able to add two players from non-qualified teams in their comp. Dreaming I know, but I'd love to see it.

Reply #435979 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Without SEABL Tasmanian basketball would be dead. As with many other regional areas who do not have NBL teams to support or aspire to.

Reply #435980 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The Tasmanian teams would be allowed to enter the Victorian Division, as Canberra would enter NSW.

Reply #435981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current SEABL teams would NOT bother fielding teams as strong as they currently do if they fell back to BigV and would not spend as much on a low profile state based competition.
Those thinking it will benefit BigV and make BigV stronger are living under false pretenses.

What about Tassie?

There would be nothing good or positive come out of SEABL falling over what so ever.

Reply #435986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not refer to it by region and not state e.g. Eastern, Northern, Southern Central etc etc.

This then avoids the hang up over why Mt Gambier should be Central or Southern - they can choose. Similarly Albury might choose Southern as it is more convenient and Mildura might then choose Central.

Reply #435987 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Yes good idea why not call it South East Australian Basketball League!!

Reply #435989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams spend big on SEABL because its a national competition, take away the prestige and profile of that and what are you offering your juniors???
BigV is just extension of friday night juniors, no travel, road trips etc. ZZzzz......

It will be another nail in the coffin of Basketball at the top end, especially in the Basketball heartland Victoria should it fall over and further ammo for players to exodus to AFL.

Reply #435990 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

So i guess if SEABL was no more the players would all just quit basketball wouldn't they? of course the other leagues would get stronger, and the Sponsors may not be as large but would still filter down to the lower leagues.

Reply #435992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, but without the need for high quality Imports and NBL players the standard of the State based leagues would drop, meaning players won't develop as much because they wont be playing against better competition or earn as much money.

Reply #435994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or maybe they will develop more as they will actually get on the court rather than watch high paid imports strut their stuff

Reply #436005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You develop to a higher standard at training against better players. You showcase those better talents in games against better players.
Lowering the overall standard of the competition wont produce better players.

Reply #436009 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think sponsors would filter down. Budgets would be reduced and while the standard elsewhere might improve a little bit, overall, the opportunities for players and coaches would diminish.

Reply #436010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac is spot on, everyone would lose out of SEABL not existing.

Reply #436012 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

HO - Murray was pretty clearly asking about exactly that point - "Are there any other like minded concerns around SEABL clubs?" with respect to "unwillingness to participate in SEABL under a proposed BA Commission."

Melbourne Boy (#435942) and you (#435943) made it about Brisbane leaving and not about their reasons for doing so. That's fine, but don't misrepresent it when the OP tries to bring it back to the original question.

Reply #436024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many seabl clubs are very concerned about the BA merge.
Question now is what is the alternative? Side with the new NBL that may not be around in a few seasons?

Reply #436027 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those teams would still want to win, and do what it takes to win, so while there might be a short term drop it wouldnt last long. You have to constantly get better in sport to remain competitive.

Reply #436028 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not able to find anything factual on this, does anyone have a link to something with details that we can actually read at this point?

Otherwise we are being far too speculative...

Reply #436029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury-Wodonga men will be playing SEABL in 2014.

Reply #436032 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

Many seabl clubs are very concerned about the BA merge.
Question now is what is the alternative? Side with the new NBL that may not be around in a few seasons?

Not able to find anything factual on this, does anyone have a link to something with details that we can actually read at this point?

Otherwise we are being far too speculative.

I suggest that writers contact local SEABL Clubs for details

The SEABL Board and BA have proposed that the SEABL Members vote on the 30th Nov to formerly wind up SEABL as a legal entity and then on 1st December the Competition will be run by a unit within the BA Competitions department headed up by Chuck Harminson. 5 Members of the current SEABL Board together with two BA members will comprise a Commission operating under a Terms of Reference Determined by the BA Board. The competition will be managed by existing SEABL staff who will move to be employed by BA.

Each SEABL club will have to sign up under a licence agreement to the Commission. The name for the Competition has been suggested as the AABL and will be re-branded.

This organisation restructure means that BA staff will be running the AABL competition and the AABL Commission will be the Strategic and overall Governance arm of the AABL but responsible to the BA Board.

As I suggest if the writers contact local SEABL Clubs or direct your enquiries to SEABL or BA

Reply #436037 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

So if the votes are 10 to 5 for the new BA model, leaving the other 5 clubs to move to their state leagues, November will be interesting.

BA i'm sure will make good of all this btw, everything they touch has turned to gold of late hasn't it?

Reply #436039 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

PeterJohn. I saw the question, but Murray made the post about Brisbane. His topic title made it about Brisbane.

'Without SEABL basketball will suffer".

Let me put something to you. Everyone said this about NBL teams in victoria falling away as well, and that the overall profile of the NBL diving since the mid 90's would also have this effect. Your statement is silly.

Guess what. It has not. In that time we have continued to grow as a sport (data strongly supports this), our international influence has continued to build and we are generally as a sport doing ok - despite the doomsdayers who ONLY link the health of the sport to the NBL.

Here's another option for you and the guys bleating about Tasmania. perhaps if the SEABL was not there you might see the emergence of a really good weekend Tassie League - perhaps the only thing holding that back right now is SEABL?

I am not a proponent btw. I think SEABL needs to survive in some form, what that form is I have no idea. But building cohesive pathways between the state leagues and SEABL is important as well.

Having said this, Queensland and WA have proved they don't need SEABL for some time. I think basketball is probably doing quite well in those states all things considered.

And another BTW, if Brisbane did fall out of SEABL where would they play? Answer = QBL. Administered by? Basketball Queensland - not a dissimilar structure to what BA are allegedly proposing.

Reply #436041 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754