Moses Guthrie
Years ago

SEABL watch, Round 15

Round 15 results.

Hobart 114 d Knox 88
Mark Nash showed he's back in a big way, with 30 points on 13/15 shooting, 10 rebs, 3 blocks and 5 steals.

Canberra 100 d Mt Gambier 73!
AIS 101 d Mt Gambier 94
Chris Mason played big minutes and responded well (12 pts/5 rebs/4 stls and 15 pts/10 rebs/2 stls). Jason Williams missed both games, and they travelled with just 7 players. Will surely miss finals now.

AIS 88 d Canberra 75 in AIS' other game.
Brad Hill was strong v Pioneers with 20 pts/9 rebs and had 19 pts/7 rebs to lead the scoring in both games for the 'tute.

Geelong 114 d Albury/Wodonga 102. Eric Bradley led the Bandits with 24 points (no other stats as yet).

AIS are a darkhorse and look very good at full strength and will battle for the East with the streaking Mildura Mavericks, led by Jumpin' Joe Hurst (!), who have now won 7 straight to go from last to first place.

That said, the team to beat overall is still Bendigo (17-3) and as long as Redhage is alive, they're hot favourites. If Rob Brown returns for the finals, it's goodnight everyone else.

Topic #3264 | Report this topic

dj fan  
Years ago

Imagine how strong West would be with Nash in the team!

Such a huge loss for West.

Is Nash signed for 36ers?

Reply #37698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, AFAIK.

Reply #37699 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Moses, the Pioneers are still only half a game out of fourth, still a shot at playing finals.

But the AIS are looking good for the East.

If Hobart secures the last spot in the South then they will be tough to beat come finals time.

The Pioneers will not finish bottom, NW Tassie should take that honour, hurt by the loss of their star import.

Only other threat is Ballarat, who have been just as hot and cold as the Pioneers.

Reply #37703 | Report this post

Road Warrior  
Years ago

Moses - I am a bit disappointed, someone of your basketball standing has not done their home work! Pioneers have season head to head over both Hobart and Ballarat, and of course NW Tassie seem to be out the equation.

Mt Gambier, Hobart and Ballarat are the teams to be fighting it out for fourth spot.

Reply #37705 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Interesting article from seabl.com:

"If you thought the Mt. Gambier Pioneers looked a bit short on players this weekend, well we understand they have released forward Derrick McDonald. It's an unusual time to be releasing players, as the season now is at a stage when no new players are allowed to be added to the teams.

Derrick McDonald (or anyone else for that matter) would have been appreciated on the bench for the Pioneers this weekend in their match against the Gunners in Canberra. Only 7 players suited up for the game, but things got interesting once Chris Mason was fouled out and brought them down to 6 men. Then the Pioneers were treading on thin ice as they had 3 sitting players on 5 fouls in the final quarter.

Which makes you wonder, what would happen if they ran out of players? Would they play with just the eligible players? Or would Pioneers coach Sonya Knight thrown on a jersey and taken to the floor Cal Bruton style?"

Does anyone know where Jason Williams and Simon Berkefeld were? Why didn't Kym Hammond suit up? Could've been interesting!

Reply #37709 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moses, did you see my post a while back about the AIS losing all players bar one to foul trouble, and having to forfeit the game when only Newley (I think it was Newley) was left? He had no one left to pass to, and so it was abandoned. There was a funny picture of Newley and one other guy going up against 5 opponents.

Reply #37710 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Original post

(Mod: Thanks for finding that!)

Reply #37711 | Report this post

Road Warrior  
Years ago

In answer to Moses post; Jason Williams was bed ridden all with Illness all week. Simon Berkfield plays A grade football with South Gambier, and probably would have struggled to get Friday off work at late notice. Kym Hammond did not make the trip, as SEABL funding allows for only 10 people to travel, therefore generally only 2 of the 4 regular coaching staff go on road trips. Given that the Pioneers were down a squad member due to d-mac's departure/ Jwill's illness Flash could have perhaps travelled aswell, one could safely assume he too could not get Friday off work at short notice.

Lets not forget that on the recent Tassie road trip d-mac registered a DNP. I have also seen box scores of NW Tassie playing at home and only having 7 hit the court.

Just goes to show that depth can make or break teams....

Reply #37737 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Really? Flash not going away with the team? Who goes instead? Linda?

Simon Berkefeld was not in the shape to play anyway, was very much restricted during footy with a shoulder injury that he suffered the previous week.

Reply #37743 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Normally Flash and Cutting take turns in going. Linda never normally goes as she also has committments with a soccer team so really they would've taken 7 players, Sonya and Cutting so they would've had one seat spare.
What I want to know is why Moses wasn't given the call up!!!

Reply #37767 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Panther, I was in Adelaide on the weekend for work ..... and the big Power/Bulldogs game (why do they schedule crap games when I'm in Adelaide?).

I agree they should've taken someone but it's easy to be critical when you're not involved. Interesting though - it sure has stirred up a hornet's nest!

Berky looked a bit ginger on local TV tonight, when they did the footy report. He looked to be carrying his left shoulder.

Reply #37853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754