36Boggers
Years ago

36ers Logo - STOCK ART!

I've been really disappointed with the new direction the club has taken with this new logo, and as most people agree on, it's not a very well designed logo at all. The frustrating thing about it (from a designers point of view), is the poor execution and lack of originality to it's overall design.

I've done a quick search over the web and found that the ball used is a standard piece of Stock art, which has been used countless times on various other creations. This is not only cheap and lazy, but again it's a reflection on who the club is! I am amazed that a national based club has agreed to run with a logo using (what is essentially) clip-art, as its main feature! This is truly lazy and very unoriginal... I've put a link here to show (hoping it works).

file:///Users/nahumziersch/Desktop/36ers-logo.jpg

While searching I came across this fellow designer, who at least in their own time have managed to come up with something that is somewhat modern, but mostly original! The uniforms in particular are very striking. If only the club would reach out and use creatives such as these.

http://projectthirtyfour.blog.com/2012/09/06/adelaide-36ers/

Topic #32651 | Report this topic

Nino  
Years ago

I really like the look of that logo in the link. Took me about 5 minutes to land on an opinion, but yeah it just works!! and the uniforms are very legit too. That guy has been making great uniforms for ages ive seen come through this site that people have found.

Reply #436688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Your first link is not going to work.

P34's logo is not very good IMO, though their uniforms are always good. The uniform designs generally ignore the commercial realities of sponsorship though.

This post could've gone in the existing logo thread, I think.

Bit sad to say, but I think if the club insisted on the cheap approach, they would've got better results from a 99designs competition with a decent bounty. Or picking freelancers to bid based on sports logos on Dribbble.

Reply #436689 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Wondered if anyone would notice the clip art basketball. Remember using that in school haha.

Reply #436691 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I think project34's logo is on the right track. Maybe some tweaking, but I like the "36" being the absolute focal point. It's a nasty nickname to create anything "cool" with, so his approach to make the "36" iconic, is the way to go. Or we could change our nickname ;-) I certainly wouldn't mind if we did, but I know there is a LOT of history with that name.

I love p34's jerseys! How he hasn't been hired by the Boomers or an NBL team supplier yet, is astonishing. He literally craps on any uniform produced in Australia in the last 15 years.

Reply #436692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its the exact same basketball used by the incoming BSA. Then was usurped by the BA "everyone's game" logo and series. Still on the outside of wayville.

Not at all creative

Reply #436695 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here are examples of reasonable basketball logos from 99designs competitions:

DC Owls
Arizona Dream
De La Hoops

Most designers are not fans of these sorts of competitions, but if you have to take the cheap road, at least you'll get something decent rather than trying to do it yourself.

Reply #436705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its just so meh, the old (90's era) logo at least has some sort of style. New one is just outlined type.

Reply #436706 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Terrible logo. Almost as bad as Melbourne's. But most nbl logos aren't great..

Reply #436709 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

Thats right Isaac, even though i'm not a fan of this avenue of design (it cheapens the industry) but... those 3 examples are far more original and exciting than what is now chosen. If it was a cost thing, there are ways around it.

Reply #436711 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's an even better example a reader sent in:

Illawarra Hawks ABL

Bit of a concern when an ABL team's logo romps all over that of our professional team. :|

Reply #436716 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

When i first saw this i thought it was a joke.
Please tell me it is a joke
It is a joke , right

Reply #436718 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

Wow, why aren't the hawks using that logo! Arrggh!! This just frustrates me even more...

What a lost opportunity this was. Sadly KB3, it's no joke.

Reply #436720 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I quite like this logo in terms of trying to get the 3 main points across and brand recognition

a - Adelaide
b - 36ers
c - Sport / Basketball

And wonder couldn't something be done similar maybe modernised re worked a little.

Reply #436721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed DJ, i usually dont worry about logos too much, but do agree that logo was the best, and was the logo when we won 3 titles in the Smyth era, so could be a marketing opportunity to re-work it a little and going 'back to the future' with the new logo and doing everything at the club to emulate the most successful era the club has ever had. Obviously different coaches and players.

Could do an article/marketing speal about the team, launch the new logo and squad and say we are doing everything we can to get back to that era. Even design the jerseys similarly, just slightly modernized, of course. Draw comparisons to some of the players and hype them up a bit.

For example:

Ervin - NBL experienced (like Mee was), former league MVP

Frye - do it all swing man (like KB was), fresh face to the league, (i think i may have read he knows Ervin off the court prior to the NBL, another comparison to Mee/KB.)

Gibson - combo guard, good captain/leader, good all round game, Olympic experience, similar to Maher.

Petrie - good combo forward, recently played for the Boomers for the first time, played in NBL teams around the league, tough/physical player, doesnt back down from anyone, a bit like Cat.

Schenscher - NBA experienced, one of the best South Aussies in the league!

DJ - one of the leagues leading scorers and rebounders last couple of years, Boomers squad member.

I dont think it would be too much of a stretch for the club atleast on their website to do an article about each of these guys, and the rest of the team, and provide the odd comparison/hint that this team may be as good as the 98-02 teams to get fans excited!

At the end of the day, i dont overly care about logos, etc but do agree its a marketing opportunity they may have missed on, but aslong as the team is strong, competitive, always plays hard, wins its far share of games and fun to watch which i predict they will be, im happy!

Reply #436732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boggers, that logo is for the Illawarra Hawks - the ABA team that guys like Delaney, Jackson, etc play for in the off-season. The Wollongong Hawks logo was done by graphic designers in their area - not quite as good as the $299 Illawarra logo remarkably, but still one of the better ones in the NBL.

I think the other good NBL logo is that of the Taipans. Kings logo has a good concept but needs refinement.

Reply #436734 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

While definitely not everyone's cup of tea, I think P34's designs are incredible!

After making the comparison to the current design work and designers at their disposal through the medium of online competitions etc, I'm sincerely ticked off with the 36ers for their lazy approach.

Reply #436737 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bring back the West End Super Sixers!

Reply #436738 | Report this post

Mr Johnny Eade  
Years ago

The Hawk even looks like a W on that logo. That is an NBA quality logo.

Reply #436743 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Eade, I agree. Definitely NBA-calibre, and submitted last-second in a $299 design comp. You can imagine it on hats, uniforms, tees, all sorts of merchandise. Massive steal by Illawarra.

Reply #436746 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The concern I have about the marketing lost is that with the club really in need of cash, this could have been a great way to inject some coin and boost the appeal of the club and sport in the state. Luckily we have a team that will put butts in seats, and hopefully next season we can get a logo, uniform and merch that will put us back in the public eye. Also hopefully the NBL scraps And 1 and tries to put teams in Nike or even Adidas gear also, as And 1 hasn't been a relevant name for so damn long plus they make rubbish gear

Reply #436828 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Not quite 3 premierships
1998 logo was the star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qykoz6RxKRA

Reply #436890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754