Isaac
Years ago

Blitz: Wildcats vs 36ers, Sep 18

Live stats will be here

18/09/2013 - Perth Wildcats vs. Adelaide 36ers – 5:30pm – Trinity Grammar Sydney
The 36ers' other Blitz games are against Cairns and Townsville across the weekend.

Topic #32652 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Martin will allegedly be getting court time according to The West Australian this morning.

Actually feel a little nervous about this game, after all the massive upheaval, this will be our first proper chance to get a handle on where we are.

Reply #436697 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

It's only a pre-season comp Nathan, I wouldnt focus on or be overly concerned with results. For instance, I dont think NZ have done all that well in past Blitz tournaments but we all know how they have faired when it counts over the last 3 years...

Reply #436700 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Yeah dont expect any team to be showing their full hands during the blitz.. just a good opportunity to get some systems running outside of training really.

Any word on live streams for the blitz yet?

Reply #436703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hope there are no injuries to anyone! Like to see every team at full strength, then u can see wich team are where. Perth have been hit hard with injuries and still kept up with nz. Still would've loved a fully fit cats team take on nz in the past 3 times we have lost to them. Thats the past, but the blitz should be on nbl.tv

Reply #436707 | Report this post

Acie Earl  
Years ago

Pre season has no bearing how any side will go. In any sport.

Reply #436708 | Report this post

spiegel  
Years ago

Yep the Lions wont the NAB cup and they didn't even make the top 8 this season.Preseason is for working on each teams weaknesses and so forth.

I do want to see how our front court minus Knight goes against the best frontcourt in the league tonight. It should give Gleeson a inat will and what wont work for the season opener.

Reply #436710 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"It's only a pre-season comp Nathan, I wouldnt focus on or be overly concerned with results. For instance, I dont think NZ have done all that well in past Blitz tournaments but we all know how they have faired when it counts over the last 3 years..."

well said Tornado.

Reply #436712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm interested in seeing how Perth's defense adjusts to the no hands rule.

Reply #436715 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I wonder what other clubs will blame their losses on now that the Cats can't play "dirty"

Reply #436717 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Perth's players like all other players in the league will adjust to the refs calls or face fouling out.
They are professional athletes so should not have an issue adjusting to some minor changes in how the rules of the game are interpreted

Reply #436719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder what other clubs will blame their losses on now that the Cats can't play "dirty"

The 36ers lose to the Wildcats? ;)

Reply #436725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL regular season is clearly just a warm-up to the much cooler-sounding BLITZ!

This is the one to win...

Reply #436740 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yes, yes, pre-season, I know. But the thing is, we're finally getting back on the court with NBL opposition and I'm keen as mustard for things to just get started again!

Reply #436742 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

A good hitout tonight against quality opposition. I think sixers will win, without Knight we will struggle but its only preseason. Looking forward to seeing our new players go tonight

Reply #436744 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

13-2 start by Adelaide.

Perth without Knight, Adelaide without Schenscher.

Reply #436768 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

3-20 start and Gleeson unsurprisingly calls the timeout.

*checks Knight's recovery time-frame again*

Reply #436769 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

LOL @ Perth

Reply #436770 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

20-3. Hot shooting, sure, but anything like that scoring pace during the season is fine by me.

Reply #436771 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

11-9 scoring since the time-out, so working out some of the kinks it seems.

Reply #436772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13/16 field goals by 36ers to start the game - wow!

Reply #436773 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't want to read too much in to this game but Perth should sack Ennis, Beal, Redhage, Wagstaff, the coach and U'u.

Reply #436774 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

36ers shooting more accurately from the field than the charity stripe, go figure.

Reply #436775 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Situation

And Wilbur, he's to blame for this.

Reply #436776 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Crazy thing is, Wildcats are actually scoring at a good clip by any objective standard - its just the 36ers are at 80% FG

Reply #436777 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Cats are shooting 53% from the field currently. Most teams would take that in a heartbeat.

Reply #436778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm extrapolating wildly based on this first quarter alone and have bet on Adelaide for the championship.

Reply #436779 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

4 missed free throws in a row, this League is crap, when is the NBA back!

Reply #436780 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

39 points in a quarter?! Jesus christ!

Reply #436781 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm extrapolating wildly based on this first quarter alone and have bet on Adelaide for the championship.

I'd like to see how our second and third quarters go before making my bet :P

Reply #436782 | Report this post

ThebigShow  
Years ago

Jervis Looks like an Early good Find !

Reply #436783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wanted to get in before Centrebet thought about bringing them down from $7. Figure they (and maybe Cairns) are the only value on the board. Perth and NZ good but short, Melbourne bit short too.

Reply #436784 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

61pts in a quarter, someone's getting their money's worth.

Also, that's four fouls on Ennis and counting.

Reply #436785 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Still some work to do on this not-fouling thingie.

Reply #436786 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Isaac you read my mind. I put a hundred on Cairns @$13 and two hundred on the Sixers @$9

Reply #436788 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

$12 on the 36ers @ $9.00 :P

Not a great second quarter though...

Reply #436789 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

16 fouls and counting in the 2Q, and 5 Wildcats in foul trouble before the end of the half. Definitely going to need to learn to watch the hands.

Right.

49-57 before halftime, lol, love to see that rate of scoring carried into the regular season.

Reply #436790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would have to argue that the new refereeing rules are working.. 120 points in a half?! that was unheard of last season. Alot of players on 3 fouls but look at the score board! great signs

Reply #436791 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wildcats back into it now. 36ers not really playing Gibson much. BJ doing the grunt work. 28 points in the paint in a half by Adelaide sounds like a nice change.

53-59, 36ers way at the half.

Reply #436792 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

BJ going off!!!

They are sharing the shots around very well.
Always good to have a lot of scoring options.

Reply #436793 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Judging by the shot chart they are getting a lot of layups/dunks.
Almost 20 shots in the keyway by half-time is pretty good.

Reply #436794 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

wow at the halftime scores!!

Reply #436796 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We've had Taipans full-time scores of around 59...

Reply #436798 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

36ers shooting percentages slowly falling back to the merely super-human ;)

Reply #436799 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Gibbo has only played 7 minutes, hope he isn't injured

Reply #436801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FT shooting could be an issue for Adelaide this season. Three of the guys likely to get to the line are not particularly good shooters. 16/29 so far tonight for the team.

Jervis fouled out. Ennis and Wagstaff on 4. DJ on 4.

Wonder how many of these TOs are offensive fouls?

Ennis now fouled out. Sixers up comfortably after starting the fourth 6-1.

Reply #436802 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I disagree, Isaac. Ervin was top five in percentage last Season I believe. Johnson is decent. Don't know much about Frye but he can't be that bad.

Reply #436803 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Shame this game isnt being streamed, looks like a fun one. BJ Anthony having a monster.

Reply #436804 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The three I had in mind were Creek, Frye and Anthony. Fry is 2/7 tonight and Anthony 6/12. And I said "three of" because I was quite happy with DJ's FT shooting last season.

Reply #436805 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide with 10 less FGA than Perth but theyve only taken 10 3pFGA, taking it inside.

Reply #436807 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Can anyone post game score and leading stats? Can't view livestats where I am. Thanks folks.

Reply #436808 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide 92 (Anthony 18, Frye 17) lead Perth 83 (Redhage 16, Beal 14) with 4 minutes left.

This scoreline could pass those of Adelaide v Perth games from two years ago when they had a few shootouts.

Reply #436809 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers 96 Perth 83 3 mins Left 4th Q

Reply #436811 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moses, Anthony has been the stand-out for Adelaide along with Frye. Both would've topped 20 points if it weren't for some weak FT shooting. Ervin and DJ providing good support.

DJ has 15 and 8 in 17 minutes.

2 minutes left, Adelaide up 10. For Perth, Ennis, Wagstaff, Martin and Jervis have fouled out. Ennis 14/6/4, Beal 12, Redhage 19 and 7 (8/20 FG), Martin 10.

For Adelaide, Anthony 18 and 7. Frye 17 on 7/9 shooting but 5 TO. DJ 16 and 8 in 18 minutes. Ervin 12/4/3, Petrie 10, Creek 9.

Gibson has only played 7-8 minutes.

Reply #436812 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Grand final preplay?

Reply #436813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For the guys fouled out, Ennis done in 24 minutes, Wagstaff in 20 (surprise!), Martin in 25:30. Jervis in 11 minutes.

DJ and Frye have 4 fouls each for Adelaide. Rest are going OK. Cadee just got his fourth actually.

Reply #436814 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cadee now out with his fifth in 26 mins. Had 6 points, 7 assists.

Burdon has 11 points (3/3 3P) and three steals in 11 minutes for Perth.

Reply #436815 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There are nine good players on this Adelaide team, with a coach who will let them play and demand they play hard. That's a good recipe.

Reply #436816 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

102-91 final score.

Triple figures for the 36ers in a 40 minute game. That's refreshing.

Reply #436817 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anthony 19, Frye 19, Johnson 18, Ervin 12, Petrie 10
Redhage 21, Ennis 14, Beal 12, Burdon 11, Martin 10

Reply #436818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to see how much more potent we might look with Schenscher when he comes back.

An excellent start though over a pretty good team although missing Knight.

Reply #436819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free throw shooting needs to be worked on with BJ 7/14, Frye 2/7 and even Ervin 2/4.

To think DJ was our most efficient player!

Reply #436820 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think a lot of Adelaide players will seem more efficient this year with a more talented team, a better system and a more tightly called game. Let's hope the Powerhouse gets rocking.

Reply #436821 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Entree is served!

I think refreshing is an understatement. That was like a Teppanyaki with Joey as head chef.

Great to see Erik have a great game. Hope his only dud games are against the Sixers.

Reply #436823 | Report this post

Sixers currently $7.50 for the championship... Who's in?

Reply #436829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am i right in thinking Frye is a cheapish import? If so, he may prove to be the steal of the year, 2 great pre-season games so far,

i think Pace and Conklin will join him as bargain imports.

Good to see quality imports in the NBL, even the budget ones, i know its only pre-season but guys like Frye are looking the goods!

Reply #436832 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti on Gibson's limited minutes:

Gibson felt a hamstring twinge and did not return to the game as the Sixers revealed their depth and the depth of their desire.
He also wonders whether 36ers FT% could become problematic. Would hate to lose close games because of sub-par FT shooting.

Reply #436836 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What water has BJ Anthony been drinking? I'll have some of that

Reply #436837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must of been a huge crowd there tonight from the photos ive seen! May be 50 people? That's counting the players and coaching staff.

Reply #436838 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's weird seeing Gary Ervin on a team where he doesn't have to do everything...

Reply #436839 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Where are the photos? Link?

Reply #436841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Redhage is feeling healthy this season because it looks like with Lisch gone he is going to carry a mountain of load this season for the unbalanced Cats team. It had been quite a while since they have gone with prima donna type imports it will be interesting to see how the dynamic is affected. Looking like an interesting season with the 2 usual dominant teams looking distinctly mortal.

Reply #436851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only lost by 10? Can't see them giving up 39 points in a qtr again. Foul trouble and no knight, did well for only second game with a new look team. Ennis and beale will only get better! Il be pleased with that, if 36'ers can shoot that good every qtr but it wont happen.

Reply #436855 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We play fast tempo and ya cain't scrag us anymore.
Pretty to watch.
Of course, we need to work on freethrows =
120points.

Reply #436856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'855, Schenscher out and Gibson barely played. Both teams can improve I think.

Reply #436860 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The pace we play at, bound for a few turnovers,

Reply #436864 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

......early in the season, but doing it everyday
we get better.

Reply #436867 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Probably the key thing for the Wildcats out of this game is that Martin played well and put in substantial minutes. Very important test to pass.

Reply #436895 | Report this post

spiegel  
Years ago

As I suspected the 6ers frontcourt will be almost downright impossible to matchup on this season. You combine that with Gibo and Ervin, it is a recipe for a very good team.

For us the biggest positive was Martin. By all accounts he was fantastic in his first game back after his season and some season creer slowing injury. By all accounts he was close to being his usuall self already.Burdon also showing why he is already so highly rated by the Cats was another positive to go with Jervis.

It seems that Adelaide will go 8 or 9 deep this season with all able to contribute straight away.

Reply #436910 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

will schenser add to the line up?
or is he too slow for our new style?

Reply #436916 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

seeing Schenscher hasn't been training, it will take hima while to catch up, while even Perth didn't know how fast we play now.

Reply #436921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The beauty of this team, especially if BJ Anthony can keep up his nz/pre-seseason form is we have great depth in our big men, Schensch could play a minor role for a fair chunk of the season, while he gets his body right without it hurting the team too much.

I think there is definitely a role for him, when he is fit could use him with set line ups, ie could put him on with our best shooters and do as he has shown he is good at, receive the ball inside, draw the defense and hit a shooter for a wide open shot. He is also a good post scorer and can be a good lane filler at both ends, still definitely a good player to have on the team imo.

Reply #436927 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dont be suprised.

BJ can do that. He is really underrated. He didnt put up big numbers at the Breakers but i think he wasn't entirely used in the right way. (Has a pretty good offensive game but many people didnt see that)

He fits in with Joeys style nicely so i can see him having a good year. Maybe an 8/9ppg and 5rpg type guy.

Reply #436934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, i was excited when we got him, always thought he was a good player, all ways does well for the NZ national team and in the NZNBL (2nd best league in Oceania) which i saw a couple of games of his team online and he had a great performance at both ends of the floor, great pick up.

I think the fact he is under rated helped us get him, so am glad he is!

Keep up the work BJ, love your game!

Reply #436935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Allen averaged close to a double double last preseason; I'll believe Anthony's ability to have an impact this season when he puts it together in the regular season. His previous highlight in the NBL was a hit on a player 4 inches shorter than him so he has a very low floor to work from.

Reply #436951 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"His previous highlight in the NBL was a hit on a player 4 inches shorter than him so he has a very low floor to work from."

I think you'll find his previous NBL highlight involved a "Championship", something not too many of the current Sixers squad could lay claim to.

You would have to smoke a ton of crack to see any resemblance between BJ Anthony's game and Ben "how's my hair" Allen's.

Anthony is tough, can rebound, score and defend. Allen can put product in his hair and possibly dress himself.

Reply #437060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754