Isaac
Years ago

Half of new NBL offered to private investors

Fifty per cent of the new National Basketball League Pty Ltd will be owned by the eight clubs, with the other half being offered to private interests.

"Some of that half will be taken up by the owners of the some of the existing clubs," says NBL interim chief executive Stephen Dunn. “We think that will give them a greater interest in the health of the entire league, rather than concentrating and making decisions in the best interests of just their own team.”

It is understood Pacific Equity Partners founder John Rickard Gardell will be one of the investors.

Among the club owners are BRW Rich 200 member Jack Bendat at the Perth Wildcats, former Dodo owner Larry Kestelman at the Melbourne Tigers and television presenter David Koch and Dick Smith investor Bill Wavish at the Sydney Kings.
He said three of the eight teams in the league now make small profits, another two are close to break-even status and the remainder rely on financial support from their owners.
Full article

Topic #32700 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

I would expect the Breakers owners to invest as with some of their Sponsors.

Reply #437412 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Kochie is an investor in the Kings? He's getting quite a sports portfolio going, what with being chairman of Port Adelaide FC.

Reply #437413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koch was an investor with the Kings some time ago. When he was asked to put his hand in his pocket when times got tough, he walked away. One of the reasons they went under.

Reply #437420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Kochie has some faith in the new entity, otherwise he wouldn't get involved.

Reply #437425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koch has been involved again with the Kings under the old NBL scheme long before the switch.

Reply #437427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Koch can have a say in getting us a new and better TV deal in the future!

Reply #437429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Sitiventi going to invest?

Reply #437445 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ lol

Reply #437446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koch is only interested in one thing. Koch. We now have the ridiculous situation where Koch is an NBL part owner and a club President of the code that is killing the NBL. Make a decision D Koch.

Reply #437486 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What a load of crap. Koch and his presidency of PAFC has got nothing to do with the "demise" of the NBL. The NBL has got more to worry about right now than competing with the AFL.

Reply #437487 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think it's great to have Koch with the Kings and PA FC. He's a great a) personality attached to the NBL and b) we know he has a very strong financial background (that's how he got onto tv in the first place) and c) he's likely to have a lot of connections which could prove useful. There's no reason why he can't be a benefit to both Kings and PAFC - and this is from a 36ers and Crows supporter.

Reply #437503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koch will never spend his own money.

Reply #437508 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I want to see Karl Stefanovic become an invested. Just to stick it up Koch. God I hate Kochie

Reply #437549 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bah, I like Kochie. Good on him.

Reply #437551 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Kochie donating his time to help the NBL attract more investors can be considered an investment of sort.

Why does he need to invest his own money if he can encourage others to commit theirs.

New thread title as this one has become "Koch's involvement in the NBL"

Reply #437599 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Like him or not, the NBL needs people like Koch involved, with a public profile like his.

Reply #437611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koch never made a shred of difference before and since the Kings have been back nothing has changed. If he was serious about the NBL be should be running it, not being the President of an AFL side.
Incidentally he isnt "donating" his time the the NBL he's a part owner of an NBL club. If the Kings ever get in trouble again he will walk again.

Reply #437622 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So does that mean he does spend his own money?? Two anons just contradicted each other. I bet they're the same person though.

Reply #437627 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

This is great. Lets all knock people that put money (whether it is their own or not) into the NBL. Do these people put money in because they are going to make huge profits? No. Do these people put money in because it is going to make them look good? No. They put money in because they want to support the game and see it flourish as it deserves. I hate the Kochie we see on TV as much as the next guy but if he is going to put money in to the NBL I am right behind him and I respect him for doing something he doesn't have to do but does because he thinks it will help. Can those knocking him say the same? Probably not!

Reply #437640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koch has a share as an investor then an now. Investors invest and when there is a short fall they are also expected to assist in helping contribute to that shorfall. As an part owner then when asked to put his hand in his own poscket and help save the Kings he walked.
Why should it be any different this time around.

Reply #437645 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why is there an expectation to continue to throw good money after bad?

Reply #437657 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'll ask a serious question that reflects what this is meant to be about

Will Bogut and his NBA buddies be buying into our league?

Anybody else high profile that will help the image of the NBL?

Reply #437665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is there any expectation of throwing good money after bad when most sensible people already know that investing in an NBL licence is a licence to lose money before even investing.

Reply #437672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just to clarify, was the last time he was asked to put his hand in his pocket during the Tim Johnston era?

Reply #437675 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I give up on this thread. Too many anonymous posters taking potshots without a shred of credibility to their comments.

Reply #437678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nuggets of gold are thinning fast, spam a lot thicker across the forum not just this thread.

Reply #437679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754