skud
Years ago

MJ says he could beat LBJ but maybe not Kobe

Interesting article from Jordan regarding some players he would have liked to play against and who he could beat or not beat.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/michael-jordan-says-in-his-prime-he-could-beat-lebron-james-in-one-on-one-but-not-kobe-bryant/story-fnii09gt-1226731225728

Topic #32763 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately as much as I love MJ this is just him trying to protect his legacy against LeBron.

He knows Kobe is no chance of being thought of as a better player than him but some erroneously think LeBron will end up the better player.

I saw prime Jordan and don't think he would have had too much trouble beating either LeBron or Kobe in a one on one.

Reply #438440 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Jordan's ego is insanely irritating today. He's getting worse as he gets older

Reply #438448 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

MJ could stand to learn some humility. This is just getting old.

Reply #438449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, MJ does seem to be getting more protective of his legacy as LeBron continues to ascend.

Jordan at the HoF age 50 saying he thought he could still play in the NBA then and people in the crowd laughing at him was a bit sad.

Still the only 40yo in NBA history to score 40 in a game though.

Reply #438450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if someone else raise about this kind of statement is always a good debate. But I don't think it is a classy statement when throw this out by himself. Just feel a bit negative of this talk from MJ.

Reply #438451 | Report this post

2FAST4U  
Years ago

Seems like MJ is feeling threatened.

Reply #438459 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

This is a grab from a basketball coach which I think sums it up pretty well. Seems to me MJ was just coming out with the answer to a question he gets asked all of the time. Lebron will never be close to Jordan for a number of reasons...anyway, here is the excerpt;

There, he said it.

'Bout time, too.

Yesterday, MJ layed the hammer down
on the LBJ fanboys, saying that he could take LeBron in one on one... But wasn't so sure about Kobe.

Uhh. No kidding.

To serious basketball brains, this isn't remotely groundbreaking news.

First of all, do you have ANY idea how
good Jordan actually was?

And second…

As good as LeBron is, he's NOT
a one on one player.

He's an ATHLETE.

His 6'8" 250 lb frame could dominate just about any sport on the planet right now… Dude just happened to decide on bball.

Guys like Jordan and Kobe, on the other hand, are tacticians.

They're students of the game.

They meticulously strategize, analyze and calculate… Then explode straight down your throat.

Then they'll stomp on it while you're down, just to twist the knife a little deeper and make it clear:

"I run this court."

Reply #438465 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The argument could be made Dr J could beat MJ one on one, or even more so Earl Manigaut, or Shaq in the 90s, etc. Does Jordan think the moves Kobe has emulated are MJs first, or has he just completely forgotten all the players he emulated and took parts from?
No wonder he got divorced. I could just imagine him getting some toast in the morning and his reaction being something like "you call this toast? I make the best damn toast ever, except for maybe Martha Stewart, she stole all my toasting moves anyways"

Reply #438474 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

As Boti said,
its all about NBA 2K14 released yesterday.

Reply #438475 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

ya video games big money.

Reply #438476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MJ > James

Reply #438531 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He is talking about in his prime so what's the problem here?
MJ would beat nearly everyone in 1 on 1 in his prime.
Kobe is the closest to having the "I will kill my own mum to win" mentality since.

Reply #438565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All 2k advertising

Reply #438566 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, the media machine is kicking in nicely, thank you very much. Yup, my kids will no doubt buy this game and work it really hard.

On the debate, please, obviously M.J. is taking the piss out of everyone, including LeBron!

My opinion is that M.J. is a little more miraculous and probably has a higher skill level and ability to produce the amazing.

LeBron is just that little bit more of a power player, obviously he is a couple of inches bigger and has more explosiveness, but only just.

So, who would win, bugger if I know, get the game and play for yourself I guess......

MJ

Reply #438567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all of it (a) MJ hardly needs the money from a video game and (b) he's regularly trying to talk down LeBron (and thus talk up Kobe) because he knows LeBron is the only player around that comes close to touching his legacy.

Reply #438569 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Rating out of 10 for each, according to me:

Skill
MJ - 9
LBJ - 8.5

Power
MJ - 8
LBJ - 9

Athleticism
MJ - 9
LBJ - 8.5

Speed
MJ - 9
LBJ - 8.5

Hops (Leap)
MJ - 9
LBJ - 8.5

Shot
MJ - 8.5
LBJ - 8

Game winner
MJ - 9
LBJ - 8.5

Reply #438571 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I don't think its to do with the game so much, when you think back on his career he wasn't allowing any game to use his name when he was at the bulls. YouTube chamillionaire and Michael Jordan, gives you an insight to who he is outside of the media

Reply #438667 | Report this post

Tom09  
Years ago

I appreciate Michael as much as the next guy, but Lebron just seems like the more complete player in terms of athleticism, skill and physicality.

Reply #438670 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Having grown up watching Jordan, Lebron James would mow him down.
The guy is like a freight train with hops and an outside shot. No way Jordan could defend Lebron in the post

Reply #438674 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754