Anonymous
Years ago

U14 Sturt Tanking

Disgraceful display if sportsmanship from Sturt coaching staff.

Sturt vs Forestville... Winner plays Canbsrra. Loser plays Knox in next round. Sturt has not signed on their best players. They are down 20 at end of first. Girls who have not stepped on court this tournament are starting. (Mod: Removed. Inappropriate to discuss for this age group.)

I don't mind resting starters but this is different.

I do to think there is a place for tanking in u14s basketball.

Topic #32769 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Tanking or Tactics.
What did Freo do in last minor round? They got to GF.
Having said that, they are Juniors, but I guess teams are rated on where they finish at end of tournament.

Reply #438490 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they're playing other players to rest starters and you don't have a problem with resting starters, what's your problem? Someone leaving the court feeling sick?

Reply #438491 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Freo didn't tank in the last round at all.

I hope the Sturt U14's get the best players owed to them in the upcoming U12's draft.

Reply #438493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously that meant to read..."I do NOT think there is a place. For Tanking". Sorry on iPhone.

Are you relating the AFL to u14 Club Champs?

Reply #438494 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So you are saying the U/14 girls Sturt coach is not playing his starters to lose a game and have an easier road in the finlas are you?

Never seen it, ever before, what innovation...

Reply #438496 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Freo only "rested" up to 12 players and got walloped.
AFL yes.

Reply #438497 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

But they didn't do it to avoid an opponent or gain an extra draft pick. They didn't try and intentionally lose. They did it for no other reason than to rest players. That is not tanking.

Reply #438499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So your saying if they did do it to avoid an opponent it would be tanking?

Because I can tell you that is exactly what they are doing.

Reply #438500 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Which opponent were they avoiding?

Reply #438501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain did at the Olympics games to avoid meeting the USA in the semi finals.....been happening for years.

What's the difference if they play their starters and they only go at 50% and lose by 15? None really is there.

How do you rest players if you dont sit them down? If you dont mind resting players the whole thread is pointless.

Reply #438502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are rotating their players evenly.

Sturt not only have not suited up their two best players but started their worst 5. There are sturt girls on the court visibly upset to be down 40.

Reply #438504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just an obvious case of a coach getting caught up with his own ego vs the development if 12/13 year olds.

Reply #438505 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Perhaps Sturt need to 'poach' some more girls so that they have an 'even 10', and not a 'worst 5'.
I apologise, I couldn't help sniping.
By the way, did Sturt lose and what was score?

Reply #438506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game still going. They are down 40.

They will avoid Canberra and play Knox.

By the way Knox beat Canberra so coach might not only be a bad sport but dumb. But only time will tell there.

Reply #438508 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So is Canberra better than Knox or what?

Reply #438511 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Did Canberra Tank?
Was it a Double Tank by Canberra & Sturt?
Could be good finals

Reply #438512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the way through the season Sturt is complaining about a lack of competition and now when they have competition they are trying to avoid it rather than taking up the challenge.

What message are they sending. Ok you second 5 will play because we want to lose and you are not good enough to win or we dont think we can beat Canberra so we are not prepared to back you as players and us as coaches to tackle them.

Reply #438513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Canberra did not tank

Reply #438515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahha pure gold Sturt exceptional decision unless it backfires :P

Reply #438517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were you the double tank post?

Can you give it a ball?

Reply #438518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's just an obvious case of a coach getting caught up with his own ego vs the development if 12/13 year olds.
Don't you mean development of a different batch of 12/13 year olds? Sounds like the coach gave more time and opportunity to players who don't normally get that pressure and this could only be good for their development?

I don't know the competition or structure of progression here to know whether the team is resting players (since they'll progress regardless) or are only engineering a result to give them the best route through. Either are about the ultimate result. The latter can be a risk - messing with form.

Knox beat Canberra, eh? Perhaps the coach said "Girls, we're going to really challenge ourselves. I want to face Knox because they beat Canberra, and I want you regular benchies to really step up and be challenged. I believe in you. *wipes tear from eye*" (Cue movie deal with Disney.)

Reply #438519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U14 National tournaments are a massive cost. So much commitment by a TEAM. Why not play your benchies if you have the chance. They should have the chance to make a contribution, see some minutes too!!!!!! This is 12/13 yr old girls you're talking about you should be ashamed of yourself by saying playing them was to tank the game. How do you think these girls would they feel hearing about the diatribe here???

Reply #438520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"U14 National tournaments are a massive cost. So much commitment by a TEAM. Why not play your benchies if you have the chance. They should have the chance to make a contribution, see some minutes too!!!!!! This is 12/13 yr old girls you're talking about you should be ashamed of yourself by saying playing them was to tank the game. How do you think these girls would they feel hearing about the diatribe here???"

That's a pretty hilarious post. If you think the intention was to give time to benches and NOT to lose the game to avoid Canberra your kidding yourself.

Reply #438521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't it be about both? Wouldn't that be a win-win-win? Some other girls get exposure to the level of competition, they play a more familiar opponent in the QF & some girls get some much needed rest. What's the downside here?

Reply #438524 | Report this post

Vodka 61  
Years ago

And the winner of the ugly parent award goes to........Forestville

Reply #438528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Sturt be deliberately trying to avoid a team, and then playing a team that beat that team in the process.

You make no sense.

Reply #438529 | Report this post

Court 2  
Years ago

Would have thought Sturt had won the way their supporters carried on when down by 40..

Clearly tanked the game..and exposed the bench in the process..

Reply #438530 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

- Parents (collectively) spend around 15-25K to get each team to attend nationals.

- Development occurs during the year. National Tournaments are mostly about one thing. Finishing as high up the ladder as possible. There is personal developments as well for players and coaches (like playing/coaching in high pressure games).

- Understanding the tournament rules and structure is important. The parents of the team you are coaching expect you to understand this and give your team the best opportunity to finish high up the ladder

Some questions for the wider audience which are not related to the example above:

Would you manufacture a loss for the chance for your team to finish higher in a national torunament?

Would you manufacture the amount that you win by for the chance for your team to finish higher in a national torunament?

Would you strive to win by as much as possible even though you might be kicking a team while there down for the chance for your team to finish higher in a national torunament ?

Would you let your players play normally knowing that it might be to the detriment finishing as high as possible at a national tournament?

Would you give equal court time to your players knowing that it might be to the detriment finishing as high as possible at a national tournament?

Not commenting on the examples above. Just asking what others would do in the situations question in my post.

Reply #438533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical sook Forestville parents. Seems smart to rest some of the better players on a "dead rubber"! Who cares if they lose by 4 or 40 - some players who may not have played much get a chance on court, others get a rest.
Someone may have to instruct the ignorant Forestville parents on tournament management!

Reply #438535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why would Sturt be deliberately trying to avoid a team, and then playing a team that beat that team in the process.

You make no sense."

That's exactly what they are doing. Do I not makes sense or is it the coach?

Maybe he thinks he matches up better with Knox.

Reply #438536 | Report this post

Court 2  
Years ago

You forgot one important question.

Would you teach 13 year old girls to Tank..

Reply #438537 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Given the plethora close results between the two teams this past year, the score would obviously suggest Sturt's better players weren't playing their usual minutes - there also appears to be a large variance in Sturt's player's skill levels.

Posters have noted that Knox beat Canberra: Knox also finished higher than Canberra at Classics (3rd vs 5th). Unless the Sturt coaches know something we don't, I wouldn't have though either team is definitively stronger than the other.

It's difficult to see how Sturt gained an advantage specifically from losing. Hence, I'm going with the coach resting players rather than 'tanking'.

Is there anything wrong with resting players? No, and this is entirely at the discretion of the coaching staff. Whether or not it will work out for them remains to be seen.

Reply #438538 | Report this post

Shameful  
Years ago

"Typical sook Forestville parents. Seems smart to rest some of the better players on a "dead rubber"! Who cares if they lose by 4 or 40 - some players who may not have played much get a chance on court, others get a rest.
Someone may have to instruct the ignorant Forestville parents on tournament management!"

At least you admit you wouldn't have won either way..

Clearly after having played 3 average teams in their pool the sturt girls needed a rest..

Reply #438542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Just that's winning the game doesn't matter. Sturt could have gone all out. And won, but been so tired or risked an injury and lost the next game because of it.

Reply #438543 | Report this post

Shameful  
Years ago

Easy to say they could have won now that they didn't..

Reply #438545 | Report this post

Deimo  
Years ago

would someone please close their bold tag

Thank you

Reply #438547 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

How can you tag in bold?

Reply #438549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder Forestville parents are thought of so lowly with whingers like this.

Reply #438550 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If it was proven that Sturt tanked, would they be a bunch of tankers?

Reply #438551 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yeah, can someone let me know how to post in bold?

Tanks.

Reply #438555 | Report this post

Coach228  
Years ago

How disappointing that a parent would start this forum in hoops. 12/13 year olds playing basketball to the best of their ability in a game they clearly love. From all the posts it seems clear that two competing state teams played each other. Whether one team played their best players or not is irrelevant. The outcome seems to make no difference. Both teams have tough games coming up regardless of who won or lost. Why would a winning team be complaining about a win? Good on the coach giving he's normally benched players a run knowing that a win or loss would make no difference. These players may not get much of a run in the next few games. I call that being a sportsmanlike coach to his team. Good on you! Shame on those people that think otherwise!!

Reply #438559 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Interesting. Have seen this before at U14 Club Champs. But purpose was to finish in the so called "Shield" area of 13-24 playoff. Glory to win what is effectively 13th rather than finish 4th through to 12th. At the end of the tournament aren't 6 teams paraded - Gold, Silver and Bronze 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall AND Shield Gold, Silver and Bronze who are really 13, 14 and 15th. Stupid bloody initiative introduced between 2009 and 2010 championships. Isn't that a situation just ripe for tanking?

Reply #438562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Are Forrestville whinging cause Sturt won classics and they did so badly?

Reply #438570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and i thought Sturt and Forestville were bed buddies!!

Reply #438582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha. Forrestville are Sturts poor red headed cousins from New Zealand. They have the arrogance of sturt but without the results.

Reply #438586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt lost deliberately to avoid Canberra team. Canberra team are very tall, Sturt have no real height so believe they can match up with Knox better...simples

Reply #438597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and of course the extra benefit of resting the starting 5 for their QF tonight

Reply #438601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you not seen Knox? They are big as well. And obviously better. That makes no sense.

Maybe they just rested their starters cause all teams are good.

Reply #438608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, I've seen them, you are wrong

Reply #438620 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

what eagles havent thought of a way to twist the rules
apples For APPLES - winners are grinners

Reply #438623 | Report this post

tupz  
Years ago

Not looking to get caught up in the whole tanking thing, but I've heard Canberra have a giant on their team, 6'5 apparently. Has anyone seen her? Is she as big as advertised?

Reply #438624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is such a sad thread

Reply #438626 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Go SA girls, whichever team........

Reply #438629 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Up there for quality with the best of the sack Marty threads, the one about the import SABL women who was not even at the games (or dressed siting on the bench or something) but on the score sheet and the half way shot thread.

Reply #438632 | Report this post

Years ago

I hope Sandy smash Sturt and then they come 4th! Their tanking was a disgrace! Even the SA teams were barracking against them.

Reply #438633 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

2 SA girls teams through to the next finals rounds of the 14 club nationals is fabulous news..... Some of these girls will be a part of our SA's future 16 reps to follow in the footsteps of our Silver 16 girls this year so we should all be excited..... And fantastic bench starting players get to experience quality competition pressure ready for their turn as 2 nd years next year. Every opportunity to gain experience to meet the end goal is all fair in the love of the game..... perspective everyone.... I hope both teams win tomorrow and advance for SA........ Wahoo for those 12/13 year old girls.... Amazing........ Well worth all the work by family friends and clubs fundraising to get them there and all the training hours paying off.......

Reply #438640 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

61 Knox - Sturt 62
43 Forestville - Canberra 38

A grand final rematch would be very fitting considering all the banter. Good luck to both teams in the semis!

Reply #438646 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Wow. What a disgrace by Forestville. I certainly hope the new state coaching director takes a stand with those players who were cheering for a team from another state.

Maybe they should go and train with Knox players. They don't deserve to training with and against other SA players.

Reply #438647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's forget the spin on this. Sturt tanked a game at Nationals. This is clearly outside the spirit of the competition and this wonderful sport we love.

That said, hopefully there are some great games still to come tomorrow amongst the teams. It really has been a great event filled with some exciting games...with one notable exception.

That said, it is not the fault of any players, just culpable coaches.

Let's hope the rest of the tournament is played in the right spirit deserving of these wonderful young girls.

Reply #438650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except it's not tanking. It's managing players physical well being.

Reply #438652 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Wow. What a disgrace by Forestville. I certainly hope the new state coaching director takes a stand with those players who were cheering for a team from another state."

Are you serious? If you were looking to bag Forestville, there has been plenty of ammunition supplied already. This is just petty.

Reply #438654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

deliberately losing a game is tanking

Reply #438655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't deliberately lose. They deliberately rested some players.

They played hard and tried their best to win.

Reply #438659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Melbourne

Reply #438660 | Report this post

Coach228  
Years ago

Still disappointing to see negative comments.
Two SA teams in top 4!!!
Good to the SA girls!
Good luck to both teams!
Everyone pull your heads in and barrack for SA!
Barrack for the girls and not arrogant bitter parents!

Reply #438661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find one team is and Forrestville isn't.

Reply #438662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And unlike Melbourne. There was no benefit from losing.

Reply #438663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like it worked out well for everyone in the end!

Reply #438664 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

this is a woeful thread, sounds like a bunch of clueless parents, they have been involved in basketball for a very short time and all of a sudden are experts in every aspect of the game, cos they have been to classics...actually u haven't....your daughter has.... Let the coach, coach...let the girls, play.....and get over yourself !

Reply #438669 | Report this post

wow-ser  
Years ago

What a sad individual you are "wow' judging by that post and other previous posts.

You are obviously a coach with a few issues who has had problems with parents before and unable to manage them properly. There are several aspects to your post that are disturbing.

"a bunch of clueless parents" - when people are threatened, they turn to personal attacks. What has happened in your past to make you bitter?

"involved in basketball for a very short time" - a bit of an arrogant statement. You don't know for how long the posters above have been involved in basketball. In addition, the attitude that people who haven't been involved longer than you don't know anything. It's a bad attitude to have and you have picked it up from somewhere.

Past behaviour predicts future behaviour and attitudes are moulded on experiences. What has happened to you in your past to make you this way?

Reply #438678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annon 640

What you said generally made sense except the comment about starting the bench against quality competition. Instead of travelling all the way interstate they could have jumped on their push bikes and headed to Wayville for exactly the same competition

Being a neutral observer I am not sure it is tanking and some clever planning but I still believe it is disrespectful towards the opposition and does little to benefit the bench players who were made to look very inadequate on a national stage

Reply #438679 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

1st years up against 2nd years (generally speaking) is opportunity they don't get at home.. Teams at nationals mostly have 12 players. Most teams at their own comps generally 8. -10 so teams take girls from developing 2nd rep/div side to prepare them for next years comp when the generally 2nd year 1st team go up to 16's. So it makes sense. I'm sure the parents of those teams and the players get that, but it is still difficult at the time, but it is also part of the game and at this level it is something all players need to become accustomed to. Still awesome that 2 teams from a low population state are doing so well. On another note, everyone needs to remember these are still young developing women with other pressures on them but instead of sitting home on the net, they choose to work hard in a team for the good of the team. They take instruction and criticism. They sacrifice their youth for this great game. They develop fantastic life skills from the highs and lows and from that hopefully take that into adulthood. Respect the parents who support that too. The entire basketball community should nurture all our junior players and families. They do not need cyber bullying which effectively this site can be when perspective is lost.. Always remember you do not know what else is going on in peoples lives behind closed doors and this game maybe what keeps some kids going. And lastly there is also more in life than basketball when the comp is finished life goes on..........

Reply #438680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Sturt came from 10 down with 4 minutes to play - seems like the fresh legs at the end of the 1/4 final proved vital! Sounds like great coaching/player management.
Also seems like this group of Forestville parents are even more arrogant/ignorant than usual...

Reply #438694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suggest you take some time out to read about the psychological studies associated with the impact of competition changes on children especially in the 12-14 age group. This covers the transition of playing sport for "fun" to competitive success. This transition tends to take place in this age group.

All children are different but studies have shown that what the coach did may be detrimental to the long term psycholgical development of the child.

So what he did may have been good for the team in the immediate short term but was it good for certain team members in the longer term. I guess that will be found out over time.

Reply #438698 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Any more damaging than someone here clearly stating that some of the girls were in the "worst 5" in the team?

Reply #438702 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

No one has stated anyone worse than others. What a ridiculous pot stirring statement. It's a loss that happens to many including loads in this competition. With that attitude many of the teams ranking lower should all go home now. In fact stop all sports, at all levels............ Imagine that ,....... Good luck To both SA teams today and all the teams in the comp. what an amazing experience. When all the lows and highs pass with time I hope you have great memories of what you achieve as individuals and a team. I hope you have loved spending the off court time hanging with your team mates and your families. Comps are so much more than the court time.
I'm done......

Reply #438704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hats off to the coach for using the course of the week to ensure all the girls get some minutes into them. It's a big commitment, this will ensure players get a chance, feel like they make a contribution to the complete effort and develop some depth within the team.

Reply #438705 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"No one has stated anyone worse than others. What a ridiculous pot stirring statement"

"Sturt not only have not suited up their two best players but started their worst 5"

Reply #438709 | Report this post

unanon  
Years ago

mavs did the smart thing both their boys and girls teams ending up in the Shield gold medal games walking away with the medal (havent seen any games so not sure the story just seems like a coincidence)

i agree that is pretty stupid 13th winnning a gold medal and 4-12 walking away with nothing

Reply #438725 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Girls on Sturt bench not even standing up to cheer when they score. Poor kids, I think they are disenchanted because they never get on the court.

Reply #438727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What. So play them and they are tanking. Sit them and disheartening.

Make up your mind.

Reply #438747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt to play FOrestville in Bronze game

Reply #438751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville to win the "ugly parent" award!?

Reply #438756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Sturt situation reminds me of the lyrics of AC/DC's TNT.

I'm dirty, mean and mighty unclean
I'm a Wanted man
Public Enemy Number One
Understand
So lock up your daughter
And lock up your wife
Lock up your back door..............

Suggest that when PM returns other clubs lock up their younger good girl players so they don't get swept away to Pasadena!! (and no I am not suggesting PM is dirty mean etc!!!!)

Reply #438759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unusual tactics by Sturt tanking again in the semi today, they must have wanted to play Forestville for the bronze medal.

Reply #438760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So did Forestville Tank as well. Saw that they were resting someone for the game tomorrow.

Reply #438761 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Sturt outscored 21-2 in the 4th quarter... ouch.

Reply #438771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt and Forestville made top 4 congratulations both teams, great job I am sure all the coaches and players did their best, good luck to both for tomorrow and another SA medal.

Reply #438772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We'll done to both teams. A lot of work has got them this far and they both deserve enormous credit.
This Sturt v forestville garbage has got to stop. Don't care who started it but
It's just pathetic crap. The monority of parents who bang on like they own junior basketball need to shut f..k up, appreciate the efforts from all involved and get on with life. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Reply #438783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ problem is the people who behave in this way, with crap like this about 12/13 yr olds find ways to justify it in their own head. It's an interesting phenomena really. They're a*seholes and don't even know it.

Reply #438786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

half those parents are the cause kids want to drop out when they get 16yrs they realise their parent is a freak.

Reply #438788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know at one club the reason why most of the players dropped out was because they were sick and tired of the verbal abuse and bullying from one coach. Telling kids they are hopeless and worthless is not a way to inspire kids.

Thankfully, he is now at another club now.

Reply #438792 | Report this post

Stop.sooking  
Years ago

You are clearly taking playing strategically out of context. Being someone who has played in numerous competitions at almost every level, the best players ALWAYS play more minutes. One plus size of resting the starters is that the other players, who have worked hard and deserve their place in the team, have an opportunity to play more minutes. To refer to them as the "worst 5" is honestly a shameful remark. That's not how teammates should be treated, nor how the starters of the Sturt team treat their fellow teammates. How rude.

Kids and parents do not commit the time and effort at the level they do at Div 1, to lose. And with every tournament comes strategy. Kids and parents who want to play at a level where strategy is not involved, play the lower divisions. And there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. They are young kids trying to win a very tough tournament. Every team plays strategically when they can. So stop being a sook and bitching about under 14 players who at the end of the day, are ALL friends with each other - Forestville players and Sturt players.

The fact that you can come on here and have a whinge, when to be honest, Forestville coaches would do the exact same thing, is a joke. It does not teach the kids to "tank". That is just blowing things out of proportion. It is teaching the kids that to play at the highest level, there is a degree of strategy. To be brutally honest, the actual players would not have thought twice about it. And I know this because when you're age 12/13, you're focussed on having fun, playing new teams, bettering yourself as a player and having a great time with your team.

Stop sooking on a public forum, no one actually cares what you have to say.

Reply #438799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt tanked lol

Reply #438812 | Report this post

typical hoops  
Years ago

Great to see hoops in it's finest form!

Firstly, Canberra have a 195cm girl along with 3 others over 185cm... AND FIRST YEARS!!! That is just insane! Sturt knew they didn't match up well. Forestville, on the other hand, with their height could match up better vs Canberra than against a physically stronger Knox outfit; with a 186 120kg beast. It really was a win-win for both teams tbh.
This could be seen by the joking between coaches during the 2 consecutive timeouts they had during their game. There is no bad blood between the teams, and both teams got great results to make top 4.
I just hope none of the girls involved in the game have read anything here, as that would be a real shame and a detriment to their mindset going forwards...

OP shouldn't be so impulsive as to write a post during the game from their phone. However, what would one expect from typical hoops, eh?

Reply #438819 | Report this post

.?  
Years ago

henny penny the sky is falling

Reply #438823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be kind of impossible for the Forestville kids not as it was obviously their parents doing the OP and then cheering against sturt. They have also been verbally attacking Sturt parents. Just bad form all round. Knox were equally big. Probably had nothing to do with match ups and more to do with a 2 game day.

Reply #438829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@typical hoops

I hope the young girl you referred to as 120kg beast doesn't take your comment the wrong way.

Reply #438834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep in mind most of these 12 and 13 year olds won't be playing basketball as they get to 17 and 18 and realise that threads like this are one of the reasons why. From experience I can tell you that playing is more important to the kids than the issues around the carnival. Bit by bit we bash the enjoyment out of the game for them and make them aware of how important results are to us then gradually through our continuous remarks about other teams, other players etc we drain the wonderful enjoyment of playing the game from them. Shame on you all and shame on the site itself as it has done more damage than good in having a forum.

Reply #438845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree and disagree - as a parent it's your job to figure out how much jenny/johnny really want out of the game and how much of it is your damn pride>
If your showing more enthusiasm than your child does bam your kid is probably gonna drop out, especially if your one of "those" parents who should have their mouth taped because all you yell from the sidelines is unhelpful.
Do you really think yelling at the kids "rebound" is helping? Worse do you direct your child from the sideline and backseat coach your child on court? Fail

Reply #438846 | Report this post

the old heave ho  
Years ago

why do people feel intensive involvement is a negative experience ?

what about your work life ?

what about your political / religious views ?

last time i was nice about everything -

landlord took all my money.
work colleague stabbed me for a promotion.
political opponent laughed at me for being piss weak.

Reply #438849 | Report this post

the old heave ho  
Years ago

also most of u14s that i know have made club champs are playing bball at 17-18 still - cause it means a little bit more to them - so i don't know what waffle that post is on about.

Reply #438850 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

typical hoops -

Canberra have a 195cm girl along with 3 others over 185cm... AND FIRST YEARS!!! That is just insane! Sturt knew they didn't match up well. Forestville, on the other hand, with their height could match up better vs Canberra than against a physically stronger Knox outfit; with a 186 120kg beast. It really was a win-win for both teams tbh.
This could be seen by the joking between coaches during the 2 consecutive timeouts they had during their game. ... and both teams got great results to make top 4.

are you saying that there was collusion between the two coaches about the result of the game?

Reply #438853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have just made ignorant assumptions that Sturt cared who they played. When they were just resting players on a 2 game day when they were playing a dead rubber.

Unfortunately those ignorant people seem to have been the Forestville people.

Reply #438855 | Report this post

the old heave ho  
Years ago

hoops.... the movie

Reply #438861 | Report this post

the old heave ho  
Years ago

reality show - "the real hoopsters of australia"

Reply #438862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://youtu.be/YrN66eGAfuQ

Reply #438882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5AhQLVFaE

Reply #438897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This whole thread is shameful. You are all talking about the best junior talent in the country in a game we all love.

Be positive.

And to the person who referenced a Knox player specifically - you are doing everyone a favour if you choose to never post again. Well intended or not, terrible comment.

Carnival seemed awesome. Every representative on and off the court of those teams should be full of pride for the talent they posses, and season they put together to get to a magical week and tornament.

Reply #438901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Too many parents just cannot help themselves. Locking this now.

Reply #438904 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754