Jack
Years ago

NBL Teams To Play At Next Year's Club World Cup?

FIBA started the Club World Cup tournament this year (it starts tomorrow) and for now it is the champions of Latin America against the champions of Europe.

But at the press conference, FIBA and the Euroleague company said that they had plans for all the continents to play next year, and that all of them have said they want to play.

The only links of it I can find are in Portuguese, but nonetheless it confirms it:

http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/esportes,pinheiros-e-olympiacos-comecam-a-disputar-o-titulo-da-intercontinental,1081702,0.htm

http://www.ahebrasil.com.br/noticias/2013/10/03/basquete/pinheiros+e+olympiacos+comecam+nesta+sexta+a+briga+pelo+titulo+mundial.html

So that means that the NBL winners for this season would play at this tournament next year against the champions from Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Euroleague and perhaps even the NBA (although I doubt they will agree to play).

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Topic #32775 | Report this topic

Anon12  
Years ago

Why not. Gives the NBL a chance to see how good our teams are against the rest of the world. This seems to be a repeat of an event that occurred in the 70's where St Kilda competed in a competition and had to bypass the NBL Final Series to compete (I think it was the year that Launceston won). Not sure how St Kilda went in the tournament but when they returned to Australia they were in a tournament sponsored by Converse at Apollo Stadium featuring St Klda, Launceston, West Adelaide and Geelong (Cal Bruton era).

Reply #438707 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The 36ers and Perth also have played in a similar event. The NBA champions played

Reply #438714 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The A-League teams play in an Asian based club championship competition which provides them with enormous opportunity to generate some cash and promotion for the club and the league.

This could be very valuable and worth while for the NBL and the incentive for our clubs should be high.

Potentially this is very big and would be great to see eventuate, especially if the NBA also decide to participate...

Reply #438717 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercontinental_Cup_(basketball)

Reply #438718 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks hoopie, past results suggest it was not such a broad competition.

Maybe in years gone by the USA would send their NCAA teams, but I think the international competition should be reasonable enough now to have NBA teams participate.

It would also give the tournament the level of esteme it needs to be recognised as a true club championships, not just a Euro or Asian / South American one.

Reply #438721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats came third and won bronze. Unfortunately they faced the NBA team in the semi-final otherwise would've been in the final. They beat Real Madrid in the group stage.

36ers were pathetic thought and finished last in their appearance.

Reply #438729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great idea!

Reply #438750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks hoopie, past results suggest it was not such a broad competition.

Maybe in years gone by the USA would send their NCAA teams, but I think the international competition should be reasonable enough now to have NBA teams participate.

It would also give the tournament the level of esteme it needs to be recognised as a true club championships, not just a Euro or Asian / South American one.

--------------------------------------

I looked at the results and NCAA all star teams, even the actual Team USA could not beat the Euroleague teams even back in the 1980s at this tournament.

So there is not a chance in hell that USA would ever send a college team to this. I watched the Brazilian team play the Euroleague champs, and they were competitive. A US college champion could not even beat the team from South America.

Reply #438865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the post game conference they said that the teams from Latin America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Oceania will play at the tournament next year.

Olympiacos got to claim the official title of professional world basketball club champion this time.

The NBA must be really hoping this tournament fails. Nothing worse than a true club world championship for a league that claims its national domestic league as the "world championship", but of course won't partake in this event.

The next year's tournament should be really interesting with all the other teams playing in it.

It will be interesting to see how the NBL champion does.

Reply #439027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olympiacos, the Euroleague champs beat Pinheiros the Latin American champs 2-0.

The won the first game 81-70 and they won the second game 86-69.

Reply #439028 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Bring it on I say, if the NBA want to be known as 'world champions' then this is where they can officially take that title!

Reply #439030 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

36ers actually finished 5th not last split their games 1-1

The loss was to the team that finished 2nd to the Spurs

Reply #439040 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Wildcats came third and won bronze. Unfortunately they faced the NBA team in the semi-final otherwise would've been in the final. They beat Real Madrid in the group stage.

36ers were pathetic thought and finished last in their appearance."

In 99 the 36ers lost to a Brazilian team and beat a Lebanese team from memory, so they definitely didnt come last. They didnt get a chance to play the Spurs though.

While Adelaide were a great NBL team they werent best suited to represent us on the world stage because of their lack of size compared to other NBL sides.

In 95 Perth lost to Houston and then in the third place game beat a Real Madrid team who rested a few players for their upcoming game back home.

I dont think the Wildcats would have made the final even if they were on the other side of the draw. They lost to Houston by 40-45 whereas the Italian team only lost the final by 10-15.

Reply #439041 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754