Happy Days
Years ago

Tigers confirm Ayinde Ubaka signing

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-tigers-likely-to-recruit-former-player-ayinde-ubaka-to-replace-stephen-dennis/story-fni2um8e-1226733381937

Topic #32789 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Good

Reply #438873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing imo, always thought he was NBL quality, glad to see him back in the league.

Reply #438880 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

shamus won't be happy !

Reply #438903 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Not sure about this one.... Can people explain there positive reaction to this signing

Reply #438911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deleon might have been a better option

Reply #439034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dare say Ubaka's probably a cheaper option than Deleon.

Reply #439038 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

On past contracts I'm not sure that's true, although things can change.

Reply #439042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly I was talking about the present not the past.

Deleon came to this league cheap and has had two very good years, the Hawks couldn't afford to re-sign him. Ubaka wasn't as a good a player as Deleon and only played 13 games last season in the Ukrainian league only scoring in double figures 3 times before he was cut.

Reply #439047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

True, but Ubaka struggled in Europe before he came the first time too, he just hasnt been able to fit into that style. As far as I know Deleon doesnt have a gig at the moment so I doubt either of them would be wildly expensive.

Reply #439050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never suggested either of them would be wildly expensive.

Reply #439052 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I didnt say you did.

Reply #439054 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the Hawks overlooked Deleon on price.

Reply #439057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what Gordie said.

Reply #439059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

But not what the captain's brother thinks!

Reply #439060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was why they signed Rotnei Clarke.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-01/hawks-recruit/4858626

Reply #439061 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think they sat down and wished they could have Adris Deleon but settled for Rotnei Clark as a consolation prize! Dont believe everything you read.

Reply #439063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because that looks great to the fans & sponsors the coach admitting you can't afford to re-sign one of your guys!

As Gordie alludes to Clarke is a fresh out of college having never played pro ball before, Deleon's got the runs on the board.

He might be a good consolation prize though, played well in the pre-season but we'll see if that holds up when teams have had a good chance to scout him and then his response to that during the season.

Reply #439064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1. No other team signed Deleon this year. Admittedly, same with Ubaka!

2. Playing the poor card honestly is part of the Hawks. Where that might look negative in another town, Hawks fans are used to it. I imagine they like supporting a team who can often get it done despite that. And maybe Deleon did ask for more and made it an easier decision.

During the 2002 36ers championship, the 36ers had already decided to move from Farley to CT despite the former being a star in an unlikely finals run. Sometimes decisions are made that don't run with what fans expect. Homicide is a classic, recent case.

Reply #439067 | Report this post

Aerius  
Years ago

You really think Hawks would take Deleon over Clarke?

Not once have I read that Hawks even entertained brining Deleon back. Remember he only became a starter when Rhys Martin & Lance Hurdle got hurt.

Ubaka a much safer choice for Tigers.

Reply #439099 | Report this post

Aerius  
Years ago

LOL Consolation Prize.

Clarke has got one of the most impressive college resumes of any player coming to the NBL in recent years.

Reply #439100 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

As soon as Adris arrived in Wollongong he said it would be his last season in Australia. It had nothing to do with money, he just likes travelling and is aware that he only has 10-15 years of basketball in him so he wants to travel as much as possible.

Reply #439102 | Report this post

Jacko  
Years ago

Ubaka sucks. Spoilt, selfish, lacks discipline. Tigers could do much better!

Reply #439159 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

At least Adris was upfront and told the club what his intentions were so they could plan for the future.

Reply #439166 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754