Tiger watcher
Years ago

Gong new import

Gong going to announce current seabl import as the replacement for summers.

Topic #32795 | Report this topic

Money Traveler  
Years ago

It was on twitter yesterday that Mike Mercer from Geelong is trialling for a spot. No mention if its short term or permanent.

Reply #438947 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What about Daequon Montrael?

Reply #438954 | Report this post

Tiger watcher  
Years ago

Mercer will get 4 weeks to prove himself.....DQ didn't get the call cause they after a 2

Reply #438957 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think Mercer is more a 1 and push Clarke to the 2.Mercer is super quick but not a Saville in the style in which he plays.

Reply #438958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see so many non real coaches voicing their opinion. Good debates ahead. DQ with 40 in the seabl gf has to be a contender surely iregardlees of what ppl here think of his playing position.

Reply #438962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ has been there for a trial. They didn't sign him. Must not have been the right fit. Mercer must offer what coaching staff feel they need. Good luck to him, hope he proves SEABL imports are capable of playing in NBL if in the right situation!

Reply #438969 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There would be something wrong if real coaches were voicing their opinions on an internet forum, balless anonymous poster...

This is a place for fan opinion, debate and discussion.

Reply #438975 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... yes, always funny to see someone criticising while being anon...

I think we've seen a few good SEABL imports around, and with budgets as they are, as a secondary import, I don't see why more aren't given more of a chance, unless the step up to the NBL really is that big...

Reply #438976 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not about the step up being big, it's whether clubs feel the guy is the best fit. There are a lot of talented Americans out there and for the most part NBL clubs have signed guys with impressive resumes in recent seasons.

For someone like Mercer, you couldnt really get a better place to start than Wollongong. No coach utilises his players' strengths better than Gordie, and that's just as important as talent.

Reply #438980 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Clarke will benefit from Mercer as he gets good penetration and can kick it out to the open man.

Reply #438982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree, he seems a good offset to both Martin and Clarke, someone who can provide a different style and a spark off the bench. It does leave them very thin at SF and on the boards though, with Summers' athleticism he gave them another guard but also someone who could hold down SF.

Reply #438983 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Good luck to Mike Mercer, he deserves this shot at the NBL and if he does make the team I think he would be a great fit for the competition, really will add to that exciting brand they are going for IMO.

Also, from my obs, I believe he is a better fit at the SG spot than the PG position because he can score from anywhere and that should be his first option, but we will see how it works out I guess...

Reply #438984 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Great opportunity for Mercer to prove himself and show that he is capable of playing at NBL level. Some of it must be down to right time, right place - DQ was already back home in the states, Mercer just so happened to still be in the country for an extra month and so was an easy and quick option to get up to Wollongong with his paperwork already in order.

My understanding is that he will train with the team and a decision will be made tomorrow whether they want to sign him as a short term option and see how he goes, or if they sign him for the full season, or there's even the chance they may yet decide he's not what they want and say thanks but no thanks.

Reply #438985 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the term SEABL import (or NZNBL import) is very misleading. Imports generally go where their agent tells them the best offer is at the time.

Akeem Wright was talked of as a cheap NZNBL import when Wollongong were looking at him, now he is playing in the Spanish ACB, the second best national league in the world!

Some people speak of Brian Conklin as an NZNBL import, but he was the leading scorer at a decent Div 1 college.

Troy Devries went from playing Div 2 in Spain to one of the ACB's leading scorers and now has a lucrative gig in Turkey.

What league an import is playing in at a certain time isnt necessarily a reflection of their talent level.

Reply #438986 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Alot of it also gets back to your agent and how well he is connected with the respective leagues.Some guys that can't cut it here end earning double the money in Europe.A friend played here and ended up in South America, Spain, England, Luxemberg, Sweden and Germany because not only was he a good player but his agent was very well respected and now looks after alot of the NBA stars.

Reply #438987 | Report this post

spiegel  
Years ago

Paul is right. Redhage is a good example.

Reply #438988 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree with those comments about labels on imports, very true that an import is an import, no matter the league, I guess we just use the simplest of explanations don't we?

What is nice to see is players coming here and wanting to come here, knowing that our leagues are of a high standard and playing in Australia is not a backward step in ones career...

Reply #438991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The thing that has surprised me interviewing imports over the years is how many have actually been aiming to play in Australia and working towards that goal.

Reply #438992 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, Paul do you feel our guys going over to college etc... and coming back have generally speaking benefitted from the experience?

Reply #438993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's thousands of people, cant really generalise for all as it would work for some and not for others. Everyone needs to do what's best for them. I spent a year playing sport overseas and absolutely loved it for what it's worth.

Reply #438994 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

No worries, I realise it's a generalisation, just wanted your thoughts on the players you may have spoken to recently to guage an opinon that's all mate, cheers...

Reply #438995 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think a lot of people have this perception that where a player first ends up..thats where his skill lies for his whole career i.e. there is no notion of improvement post college.

But, players really do improve in leaps and bounds throughout their pro career.

McKee is a great example of this

Conklin will only get better considering the NZNBL was his first pro gig. Rotnei Clarke could find himself in Europe soon enough as can Kerron Johnson (from what i have seen thus far).

Its just a matter of breaking that stereotype and showing people that where you start isnt always where you finish

Reply #438996 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ive heard all different sides Bear, from absolutely hated it to best four years of their life!

Reply #438998 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Fair enough, any trends perhaps? Was there something similar that people hated or found hard in particular?

I know players ending up at the right college with no serious injuries and ending up a good fit for their team can have a great experience, but what would you consider the main problems facing someone would be or the main complaints you have noticed perhaps?

Reply #438999 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Homesickness, didnt get on with the coach, just didnt fit in with the team on and/or off the court. I think a lot more enjoy it than not, but that's prob how most people remember their life experiences whichever road they choose.

Reply #439001 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Cheers, I think those issues are common, some players can get over them, some can't. Test of character and a life experience either way.

Injuries can be sheer bad luck and play their part too, in a major way I would think, thanks mate.

Reply #439003 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Re: Bear

Thomas Abercrombie went to Washington State University for a year and was almost ready to quit Basketball until he found a home at the Breakers.
He only played in 12 games and often found himself watching from the bench with little direction from the coaching staff on how to rectify this.
Like Paul said for a lot of guys it's the best 4 years of their lives and for others the culture shock is too much or the distance from family and friends along with the academic curricular.

Reply #439009 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Washington State is Div 1, I believe? Harder at that level, especially if a coach drafts over you!

Then all of a sudden you are watching more than playing, so he looks to have made a good decision in the end.

Still, he had a go and can never have regrets because he at least gave college a try.

Thanks Mystro, it's pleasing to see how well he is going these days, quite a good player is Abercrombie...

Reply #439012 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I don't think they made much of an effort with where the Breakers got him into their academy and attempted to exploit his strengths and work on his weaknesses.

I wonder if his College Coach has ever seen any footage of him playing at the World Champs for NZ ?

Reply #439016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Washington State actually have an Australian (Dexter Kernich-Drew) on their squad at the moment who's a bit like Abercrombie, very athletic but a bit raw. Seems to be sticking it out. Perhaps they learnt some lessons from the Abercrombie experience?

Reply #439031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaron Baynes did quite well at Washington State I guess. Didn't initially get drafted in the NBA but after a short stint in Euro he is on the Spurs roster now. Different type of player to Abercrombie and a lot younger but same college I think?

Reply #439032 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Baynes is actually seven months older than Abercrombie, they were there at the same time.

Reply #439043 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah and that 07-08 year, they were ranked top 25 and made it to the sweet 16.

They had players like Baynes, Derrick Low, Kyle Weaver and also Klay Thompson came the year after i think.

Getting mins for a top d1 team is damn hard.

Just ask Jackson Aldridge about his experience.

On the other hand a player like Mitch McCarron went to Metro State and he looks like he is having a ball..starter abd putting up damn good numbers

Reply #439048 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Thanks for the input, guys. Really interesting stuff.

Reply #439084 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think they'll sign Mercer for a month which buys them some time to look around for a 3/2. Pity most of the SEABL imports have gone home. I believe Mercer has resigned with Geelong Supercats for next year.

Reply #439115 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, he has signed up for Supercats again, an article in the local paper confirms it. I hope that he can show them what he can do, if he gets a chance they might keep him, if he gets the chance...

Reply #439120 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Give him 4 weeks to see what he can do.Not much point giving him one game.

Reply #439125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks need to replace saville @ sf spot - shane Edwards from last seasons cairns team would have been a good fit

Need a strong rebounding sf who can play some d

Plenty of shooters already on the team

Reply #439216 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Gordie wants someone who can rebound and defend like Sav and handle like Hurdle. He had got something reasonably close to that but alas.

Reply #439220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks have passed on Mercer according to
Boti. Jamieson joins the ten until they find a swingman.

Reply #439223 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mercer mentioned it on his twitter page.Hes here for another 6 weeks probably on holiday now.I wonder who they've got in mind.

Reply #439227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if he is reconsidering Quinn McDowell from SBL WA Willetton Tigers. Quinn was one of the last imports to trial prior to Summers signing. More of a swing man than hurdle.

Reply #439234 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Shame he didn't get the chance to play in a game or four. Players like Mike Mercer and previously Ismail Mohamad are exactly what the NBL needs IMO...

Reply #439428 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754