Fletch
Years ago

Wollongong's second import

Anyone have any rumours about who wollongong are looking at for their second import spot?
Whats Adris Deleon doing at the moment? Id love to see how he would go with the new reffing we have seen this season. It looked like he got mugged just attempting to make a drive all last season.

Topic #32827 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Adris is not coming back. Neither is Lance Hurdle. Neither is Malcolm Grant.

Reply #439584 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Showron Glover?

Reply #439587 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Last I heard it was looking like Mike Mercer from Geelong Supercats.

Reply #439590 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Need to make a move quick after tonights performance.

Reply #439594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ther is another topic for this mercer is long gone

Reply #439596 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

Mike Mercer only trained 2 sessions before heading back to Melbourne according to the Mercury.

Don't think Hawks need Adris with Clarke and Martin. Someone like Summers or Saville would be nice.

Reply #439597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Gordie said Clarke was Deleon's replacement because they couldn't afford to re-sign him.

Reply #439599 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Would get a 3/4 who can slash and create his own shot if possible

Reply #439601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know why they looked past DQ.

Reply #439607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching them play tonight, they are well covered at PG with Clarke and Martin. The front court is well covered as well. Need an athletic 3 who can defend, rebound, play off the dribble and can shoot the 3.
Don't see DQ giving them what they need. He can shoot the 3 but not sure he is good enough at the 3 in other areas. Only import from SEABL that comes to mind is Theron Wilson from Geelong.

Reply #439608 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I was thinking Theron Wilson as well from the SEABL. He would give them a little bit of everything at the right price.

Reply #439628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should look at Zack Henifin who played for the Brisbane Spartans. One of the most athletic players I've ever seen play down here. Gets bulk rebounds, can create for his teammates and himself.

Reply #439629 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Would look at Brian Greene, Bryant Markson or Akeem Wright from the New Zealand league. All are the slashers that Wollongong need.

Reply #439631 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would Jordan Gregg, who they trialled, suit?

Reply #439633 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Jordan Gregg is another who could fit the mould but i think he is a fraction under NBL level at this stage.Needs to go to Europe and play in some tough Euro leagues.

Reply #439637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i was thinking Markson would be a good pick up, heres hoping they get someone good before too long.

Reply #439638 | Report this post

Aerius  
Years ago

I think Coeenraad needs to be a microwave off the bench. Too inconsistent to start in the NBL.

Reply #439640 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Apparently Gordie has somebody in mind and might arrive next week.I would of kept of Mercer and tried to pinch a couple of wins until a replacement arrived.

Reply #439642 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Swear I've heard of minimum probation and other rules consistent across NBL imports and as I said, I've wondered if this might limit teams picking up short-term imports?

Reply #439644 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Whats the minimum Issac?

Reply #439666 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ganymede,

Im sure no one would have given Akeem Wright much of a look in, due to the fact he just played in NZ.

The fact of the matter is he is trialing with an ACB team in Spain as we speak (Valladolid)

He would have been an absolutely perfect fit for this team. 6"8 rebounder with a Lebron type of body/athleticism.

Reply #439670 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HD, not sure, just heard people talking about it as though there is some sort of import default. An agent might know if any are reading. Belly?

Reply #439686 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Wollongong looked at Wright as one of their options before signing Summers. Prob too late now.

Reply #439697 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

90 days for an import , they can be cut with no recourse on the club. Beyond that they have to honour or negotiate out the full contract.

Reply #439701 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

How many pre-season games did the Townsville imports play last season? 3? and cut before playing a proper game, so I don't think that there's a minimum...

Reply #439720 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not that they can't be cut, it's that they have to be then paid out and Wollongong can't afford that.

Reply #439728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Lamar Odom - isn't he looking for a game?

Reply #439730 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What about John Pichon from Sandringham or is he more of a 4 in the NBL?

Reply #439746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like they are trying to pay SEABL money and snare a MVP candidate.

Reply #439754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They generally do pretty well with imports, even at a low budget, so i look forward to seeing who they do sign, i'd back Geordie to find someone good.

Reply #439755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've struggled for decent imports in the past couple of years though.

Joevan Catron
Donavan Monroe
Showron Glover
Lance Hurdle
Malcolm Grant

Reply #439762 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

Lance doesn't deserve to be on that list Anon, he far from struggled.

In Reverse order since Gordy has been coach:

Durrell Summers (didnt play an NBL game, did average 27 in 2 games against Kings)
Rotnei Clarke
Malcolm Grant (urgent mid season call up)
Adris Deleon
Lance Hurdle
Ayinde Ubaka (mid season call up)
Showron Glover
Joevan Catron
Donavan Monroe (didnt play an NBL game)
Gary Ervin
Ty McKee
Dave Gruber

I'd say that's a decent strike rate of decent talent 8/12

That's 1 MVP candidate and one winner. Ty probably would have got it if not for getting injured and missing the second half of the season.

Durrell Summers could ball, but not read contracts.

Rotnei Clarke could be one of the top scorers in the NBL, last night despite their loss he showed he's much more than a 3 point shooter.

4 could be called stars - McKee, Ervin, Deleon, Clarke

I'll be reserving my judgement until such time they announce another player.

Reply #439766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, they only had one year where they struggled, that's the year they had Monroe, Catron and Glover.

Apart from that McLeod has been on the money with McKee, Ervin, Deleon and Clarke (as well as Summers but that didnt last), which is exceptional recruiting, and he also picked up two very guys who could do exactly what was asked of them in Gruber and Hurdle.

Reply #439770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lance doesn't deserve to be on that list Anon, he far from struggled."

Catron-10.3ppg, 4.4rpg, 1.1apg, 40.8% FG, 17.5% 3p

Hurdle-11.3ppg, 2.6rpg, 1.4apg, 38.6% FG, 35.8% 3p

If Catron deserves to be on it (and he was a dud) than Hurdle certainly does. I know it's the Hawks and all that but every other team would've cut Hurdle.

Reply #439785 | Report this post

Money Traveler  
Years ago

More to the game than stats Anon.

From all accounts Hurdle was a big part of the team, the culture and the winning start. Did what was asked of him.

Just a pity he got hurt I guess.

Weren't Hawks like 2nd when he got hurt?

Reply #439786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you put Catron in the same category as Hurdle like that, you have no idea.

Reply #439788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wollongong were tough when Hurdle was on the court. Shot 36% from 3, played great D. Didn't dominate the ball and played his role well. Probably helped Martin have a career best year.

Reply #440061 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754