Dave
Years ago

Should a junior coach have a consistent style?

I'm coaching under 16 boys this year and would like some advice.

Throughout my first year of coaching I found that I didn't really have a coaching identity or game style.

I know there are some coaches who love double teaming and stuff and constantly pressuring the ball, but my first year I didn't have much of a strategy like that.

Offensively this season I'm thinking of making them run transition and try to get fast breaks, and if a fast break isn't available then they will run a structured offense. On defense I'm thinking an arrow press back to a man.

I guess it all depends on what your team is like and if they are even capable of running full court presses. This season I just want to have more of a game style that I make the players stick to.

Is this a good idea to enforce more in game strategies and play under a specific game style? I feel like all coaches have their philosophies about the game except for me.

Topic #32830 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speak to the Division 1 coach of your age group and make sure your game plan is consistent with his/hers.

Reply #439639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At that age group teach the fundamentals. Doesn't matter what defence or offence you run, if you can't do the basics, NOTHING is going to work. There is no magic offence or defence. Not sexy, not NBA, but it's the truth.

Reply #439648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave anon is right to a degree, if your looking for advise go to the club first talk with the D1 or coaching director its always a good place to start with club offenses etc - reality is they should guide you and help but fact is most coaches are left to their own devises.

My tip, don't be afraid to try new things, be open with the kids and challenge them with new ideas and styles, see what works best.

Reply #439649 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If you don't have a philosophy or constant message being communicated on both ends of the floor, your success rate will be low.

For 16's don't be too complex, pick simple defensive rules you are happy with, and be diligent on enforcing those. On Offense pick a base structure that suits and run with it.

Reply #439651 | Report this post

Hulk Hogan  
Years ago

First time poster...long time stalker

Have consistent defensive principals....whatever they are just make sure that they are enforced. I am a ball pressure guy myself but it is all about your 'cattle'

Offensively - dont create robots and run the crap out of it

Reply #439652 | Report this post

I agree with Hulk.

It's all about your players, not YOUR systems.

Some coaches get bogged down in "their" system. They talk about "right way" and "wrong way" to teach the game. I know a club that gets very bogged down on what structures or systems are right or wrong, bogged down in "u-leads" vs "v-leads" or "motion" vs "read and react", "sqaring up inside foot" vs "outside foot". There is no right way way. There aren't any secret plays to teach the game as some marketers in the US/those creeping into our system would have you beleive.

Teach the kids how to score, get open by themselves, read their defence, play aggressive D, play together and play tough!! What they play doesn't matter; it's about how they play.

Stick to the club's program but help your kids adapt their strengths. Every player has areas they can contribute, find those areas and help them succeed in those areas. EG: If they're not a scorer don't discourage them in this area, but find ways for them to capitalise on their strengths.

Reply #439656 | Report this post

consistent style -

i run with club polo, stone wash denim or chino shorts.

Reply #439658 | Report this post

mr troll  
Years ago

is that you Dean ? LOL couldnt resist mate ;-P

Reply #439659 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Dave you have some good advice here, but to give you anything further we may need to know a few things:

1. Are you coaching domestic or above?
2. Is it Division 1 or A grade, or lower grades?
3. Are you with a club with a structure and some leadership or are you running pretty much solo?
4. Do you have access to or have you read basic coaching manuals?
5. How old are you?

Reply #439663 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

If you're consistent within yourself, then players will know what to expect (and what's expected of them) when they come into your teams. There's nothing worse than having to motivate players to fit your style when they come in with the wrong attitude for it.

If you're consistent with the coaches and teams around you, then players can swap into your team very easily, with reduced learning curve for them and frustration for you.

But as other posters have said, the top priority is the basics, and your style has to be based on the players you have and what you can get out of them.

Reply #439669 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I always have been focused on the basics. Offensive and defensive footwork, shooting, dribbling etc. are all things that I focus on in training sessions.

I was more talking about strategies for the game like presses and whether to constantly pressure the ball or not, or play more relaxed and focus on protecting the ring.

While I'm here though, does anybody have any links to websites that provide coaches with lots of drills for each skill?

Reply #439689 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Consistent during the season, yes, because juniors need reasonable continuity since learning and development takes time. Your coaching 'style' may (and hopefully will) change and develop from year-to-year.

There would have to be a few skills and principles that you blue yourself as a coach slightly more than others e.g. ball-handling, full court pressure, post-centric offenses. Teach your players fundamentals on a broad level, but don't be afraid to emphasize your favored principles. This allows for a certain degree of freedom while still maintaining a playing 'style' which you are comfortable with, all without boggling your playing down with a rigid system.

Also consider not just 'what' you teach, but 'how' you teach it. This - IMO - is just as, if not more important in developing a coaching identity. Be the best possible version of yourself and let it come through in your teachings.

Reply #439691 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Breakthrough Basketball" and "Coaches Clipboard" are two of my favorite sites.

Reply #439692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://developyourbballiq.com/

Reply #439695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754