Curly
Years ago

What's Souths sales pitch

South people get on here and bleat about sturt "poaching" players from them yet it has come to my attention they are doing the exact same thing!

So what are they offering? Because their coaches suck! Stadium sucks, yes they are getting a new one but with the way the state government gets things done it will probably 30 years away!

So south people recruit me I want to know why my kids should come play for you like a few of his mates have?

Topic #32884 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being an outsider looking in obviously South are offering something which Sturt is not capable of giving which is leading to the Sturt players seeking out better opportunities.

Maybe it is loyalty. Maybe it is a willingness to work with their players to develop them rather than being continually recruited over.

Who knows!!!

Reply #440629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So south aren't recruiting over their own kids

Reply #440633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, of course they are.

And isn't being loyal to your players about providing them with good coaches?

And just as many, if not more South kids get recruited by Forestville.

Reply #440634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People leaving clubs for loyalty? Sounds a bit strange! If they valued loyalty they would stay wherever they are...
As for valuing "not recruiting over the top of our own" - that's exactly what you are doing by bringing in players from Sturt, or anywhere else. Wonder how the "loyal" existing South players feel about that!!!!

Seems like South are offering blatant hyposrisy, and not much else!

Reply #440639 | Report this post

blah blah blah  
Years ago

I don't care who plays where in junior basketball

Reply #440642 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Is Steve Breheny having a big impact? South's junior numbers are definitely on the rise.

Reply #440646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a difference between going out actively to recruit players (i.e. sturt with SASI athletes) and a club accepting people who approach them because they think they will get a fairer go.

Reply #440656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Curly seems to me if you seriously wanted to know then maybe you would ask the parents of your child's friends why they are moving there, if you really are a parent at all.

Or maybe you should give the Club a call and find out why?

And no club owns or manages the stadium that they call home. Pasadena belongs to the school and Basketball SA not Sturt.

Reply #440658 | Report this post

#646 it's his job and he is well credentialed - wish them all the best

Reply #440659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#656 - there is NO difference except in your own mind. HYPOCRITE!

Reply #440668 | Report this post

still laughing  
Years ago

good on South I reckon, they have the most successful domestic club in the state.
adding a few more kids to those teams won't help them become a district club!!!

Reply #440670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol gold moments... Sook sook, this is what I see and hear - didn't make div 1 sook sook gonna go trial at South because I'll walk in start their so not full of talent - that's what I've heard and seen but it's not really the truth.

Reply #440672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the last good South junior was .........

Reply #440675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty simple, if you don't want to play there then don't.

Coming on here and shooting a Club down smells very much like fear from one of the two big clubs which are used to bolstering their 'talent' by picking off the best from South.

Reply #440686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet they don't use the same lame pitch Sturt use.

Reply #440687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably not, Souths last state championship came when exactly? Not really much to brag abour really!

Reply #440689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and they have boti coaching there, his motto is recruit everyone, so obviously its rubbing off

Reply #440690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Brett Maher from south was a reasonable player!

Reply #440693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're suggesting Maher was poached? You might want to be careful here..... Considering he discusses this move in his biography.

I doubt we would even be talking about him now if he hadn't made the move!

Reply #440698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no-one from South in the last 20 years then?

Reply #440701 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I think "recruiting" is being used interchangeably with an "open door, welcome". If kids/parents want to move let them and foster their interests in basketball. Given that Souths, Southern and North Adelaide have fielded 8 teams each in the u16B and Sturt only 6 me thinks there are at least 15 boys at each of those three clubs happy to get games every week.

Reply #440704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

having 8 teams is one thing having 8 good teams is another and having enough good coaches to coach all them also

Reply #440705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone said Brett was poached just the observation he came from South initially

Reply #440710 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

here come all the kids home from school- look out. Everyone pile in.

Reply #440715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If kids/parents want to move let them"

Unless they leave my club and go to Sturt - in case I will whinge and sook endlessly about it.

Reply #440717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt.. lol, you made this mess you're in.

Blatantly poaching SASI players.

People are waking up and realising there's more to SA basketball than one club. Now their own players are walking out and going to South, Forestville, Norwood, Southern and elsewhere.

Ask Sturt's JDO how did a Forestville girl's name make it onto the Sturt squad list when she never tried out or signed an intent to play form - and it wasn't her parents that put her name on the list as Sturt couldn't even spell her name right in their squad announcement!

As you continue to poach your own players will continue to leave. Just like the Southern Expressway, it's been a one way street for too long, welcome to the real world.

Reply #440718 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Ask Sturt's JDO how did a Forestville girl's name make it onto the Sturt squad list when she never tried out or signed an intent to play form - and it wasn't her parents that put her name on the list as Sturt couldn't even spell her name right in their squad announcement!"

What age group?

Reply #440722 | Report this post

About the kids  
Years ago

Does it really matter if they are good teams or not
maybe the kids want to just feel like they belong to a club and be able to play the game, some may develop and stay some may drop off, but it keeps them off the streets and basketball is winning in general

Reply #440723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said "about the kids". For every one kid who makes a living out if basketball there is a thousand who don't. If these thousand didnt play and help pay for the JDO's then there wouldn't even be the one in a thousand.

Reply #440818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JDO are a waste of money, like the above post says!

Get good coaches you don't need JDO

Reply #440827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If JDO's are waste of money what are senior championships. An investment in the future?

Reply #440931 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Great to see South being active and ruffling a few feathers out there with the big boys, clearly they must be doing something right to upset the Dark Empire!
Junior success doesn't always translate to senior success but it's a damn good start. Why work so hard on juniors only to have them poached by Sturt! ;)
Getting Breheny on board has obviously helped when it comes to encouraging juniors to come on board. Kids and their parents want their kids to continually learn and having someone like Steve at the helm is a massive start.
Off the top of my head I think we are still the second most successful Senior Men's club with 10 Premiership flags (Sturt 5) hanging from the rafters.
Yes it has been too long since the last one in 1997 but hopefully with the direction the club seems to be going that will change sooner than later!
And for the record we have quite a few great players come out of the club with guys like Scott Ninnis, Shane Ah Matt, Brett Wheeler, further back Olympians like Scott Davie, Dean Whitford, Michael Ah Matt, Daryl Pearce, Ninnis and let's even throw in Brett Maher shall we! ;)

Reply #441132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All clubs recruit players to fill gaps in their programs.

Not all clubs have attractive programs, consistantly good coaches and/or effective cultures.

So the success of recruiting is stronger and more effective for the better programs.

Don't complain about loosing players, look at culture and program improvements within your own club first.

Reply #441158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey panther hows your girls/womens program going

22 points in a reserves game last night

with new recruits playing!!!

Reply #441160 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Clearly you can see why the club is recruiting! ;)

Reply #441178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing South have been ruffling is the hypocrisy flag.

Reply #441179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't you people got anything better to do!!

Reply #441181 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"The only thing South have been ruffling is the hypocrisy flag." Is this coming from a Sturt person he is happen to do it but not happy when it's reciprocated???
Isn't that hypocritical???

Reply #441204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only if the Sturt person cares it happening. Which it has been for 30 years by all clubs.

Maybe they only care about South bleating in one hand, and ten doing the exact same thing in the other.

Reply #441214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly anon. South pan other clubs (currently Sturt, in the past Southern) for doing the EXACT same thing they are doing. The "holier than thou" spiel is extremely hypocritical and people can see straight through it.

Reply #441227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they are doing a crap job of it, girls program is an absolute joke

Reply #441228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So that's alright than if they do a crap job at it

Reply #441235 | Report this post

still laughing  
Years ago

success breeds success!!!

I think south are doing a great job at building a foundation from which they could become a force in local basketball circles.

having said that they still have too many problematic people involved in running the club and will always be SA'S largest domestic club, regardless of who they poach.

did I say that out loud? my bad.

Reply #441248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who are you referring to that's problematic

Reply #441264 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754