Bear
Years ago

Will Junior Basketball follow the lead of the NBL?

Would like to gauge the perception of whether or not Basketball Australia has filtered down the notion of the NBL cleaning up the game and calling it more according to the rules.

In particular the rugby style defense, holding off the ball, in the key grappling, pushing and straight out fouling of the ball carrier and shooter which has gone unchecked for some time now.

Observing juniors over the start of the new season at our Association, it doesn't look like any changes have occurred, at least that is the way it appears.

Anyone have any idea if B.A. will or has sent some instructions down the pipe line?

If this was the AFL, being the leading and head body of that organisation they would be leading by example, so what is happening in basketball to help develop skill over brawn?

Topic #32885 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NEW NBL is totally separate from BA. The WNBL arent even following the NBL lead so I highly doubt BA will trickle it anywhere. Especially in the short term.

Reply #440636 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Sad, really, because one of the things that makes basketball so attractive to juniors is the principle of 'non-contact' sport.

I hope BA takes some responsibility and tries to clean up the basketbrawl or WWE which I see too much of these days.

Reply #440641 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon, I get that, but if our juniors are encouraged to play 'mongrel ball' and coaches select bruisers in their teams ahead of skill players just so they can win the end result is those kids who will eventually grow up and be the next potential Joey Ingles will continue to be overlooked and not identified soon enough.

Then the bruisers go back to football or whatever and we have to try to pick up the pieces with what we leave behind (boys basketball in this case).

Kids are trying to play and use their skill on the court but being frustrated the same way as NBL players were, so I would have thought it was in the best interests of all concerned that B.A. take a lead out of the NBL's book of ideas on this one...

Reply #440645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point was if the WNBL isnt following the lead dont expect anybody else affiliated with BA to do so either. I agree blow the game tighter but i doubt BA will action anything.

Reply #440647 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It was far more physical when I was a junior, and every team had an enforcer like me in their team. We used to coach kids to grab a rebound with our elbows out, but that's not happening anymore. Don't think it was as physical, just ask any of the players who I dropped after a rebound. Kids with skill will always get picked, and to say otherwise is just silly. We need to be more worried about the fact most kids now travel when they catch the ball or go for a shot thanks to what they see in the nba.

Reply #440648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As we get older Ricey we forget more than we retain I think. A few too many knocks to the head maybe?

Reply #440654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably won't change in SA even if BA handed down rule changes - basketball umpiring directives only appear to go to the panel and the rest of the umpires carrying most of the load languish on regular consistent feedback or direction? maybe I'm wrong I'd love to be - kids need a fair go and refs need to focus on this and this only.

Reply #440671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpiring in my game the other night had changed - but only down one end of the court

Reply #440681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pfft, please, BA have no impact on local junior basketball for starters, the NBL is a stand alone entity now so no connection to BA either.

You want the game called tighter at junior level? Clean up your coaches, spectators and players behavior first.

Start enforcing behavioral code of conduct and give the Referee's the breathing space to call the game without berratement or threat.

Reply #440736 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I'd like to see more consistency in the officiating in each rep grade. VC games are far more physical than the VJL level games. I coached a team a few years ago that just missed out on VC and when they started playing VJL1 the refs didn't allow anywhere near as much physicality. Took a little while for the players to adjust but they got there after a few weeks. In general I'd like to see more protection for shooters and maybe let some of the ticky touch stuff on the perimeter go. I'd also like to see a crack down on holing off the ball which is a big issue. Players trying to backdoor cut lose the chance to score by being held.

Reply #440737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing coaches need to get their head around is what is reasonable to expect for the level and age group they coach.

There's no point watching the NBL with 3 officials and expecting their Metro 1 U16 game with 2 relatively inexperienced officials to be called with the same level of consistency or accuracy.

Chances are the standard of referees on most games is roughly proportional to the standard of the game in the scheme of things. Do the players make mistakes? chances are the Refs will too, accept this and just focus on coaching and you'll be amazed how less stressed you get.

Reply #440738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^easy to say.

Reply #440779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754