Anonymous
Years ago

3 second violation call

Have the refs abandoned the 3 second rule??? Ogilvy was pitching a tent and having s'mores at some stages during that game last night. The ref seem content on calling mister meaner calls. 1 ref tonight in particular was whistle happy. But I suppose u can't see everything in a game.

Topic #32892 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Heh, I remember watching Damien Martin sitting in the key last week for several seconds at a time without a call. I think everyone gets away with that one unless they just take the piss.

Reply #440832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect not many people will agree with me, but I just wish they'd get rid of the 3 second violation rule. Not because the rule doesn't serve a purpose, but because it's called so unbelievably inconsistently (and not just in the NBL but other leagues too). To me, a rule that is only called a fraction of the time because it's too hard to police should just not exist, or it makes the game too much of a lottery.

But again, I suspect I'm very alone with this opinion. I've mentioned this to a couple of friends before and they thought I was nuts.

Reply #440835 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Mister meaner?

Reply #440875 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Parents are probably the best calls of the the three second rule. Refs should respond to the "how lonnnnng" call from the side lines. But perhaps its never heard at Pasadena and Wayville.

Reply #440876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs won't call it unless the player shoots the ball usually, and even then that's rare. Refs have been saying for past year or 2 that you can stay in the key as long as you want if you don't shoot. I've counted to 10 in games with refs warning me for a tech as a result. This pretty much shows the state of refereeing in the state

Reply #440903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the defender is holding and grappling, let them camp in there I say, but if the defense is playing properly and the offensive player is just sitting in the key hogging the space then call it.

Reply #440909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA regulate the offensive & defensive 3 second rule strictly for a purpose, camping big's do nothing positive for the game, all players should have to exit the key withing the required time.

A. it allows a more open key.
B. It causes movement which may not necessarily favour the offence unless player understands movement.
C. Forces players to have to use proper post moves to move the key and coaches to teach post moves and footwork.

C negates B and A is a good outcome for the game.

And before anyone talks about zone camping keyway on D I think NBA made a good call with the D 3 rule.

Reply #440921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Add to that, referees don't call it because their not looking for it (advantage rule interpretation) directives advise to be looking elsewhere if I'm correct, like holding/pushing, hence why post defence always get called for fouls on blocks when the bottom hand is on the hip/body of offence regardless of how perfect top hand is on ball.

I saw Friday night two examples of offence catching in key after pitching ground for at least 1.5 sec receives ball, post backdown dribble, pick up, pivot pass fake, pass fake, pivot take shot miss then get own rebound and score.

Good work on off rebound and put back but should never have got the opportunity in the first place.

Reply #440923 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754